By Amy Wadas

Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

ALIQUIPPA (KDKA) — Police are investigating after one person was shot in Beaver County on Thursday evening.

The incident was first reported just before 9 p.m. in the 600 block of Highland Avenue.

According to emergency officials, the victim was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital to be treated for a gunshot wound to the thigh. The victim has been identified as 23-year-old Milton Wesley.

One witness, who lives on the street, said he was sitting on his porch when he heard some voices. Then, he says he heard at least four gunshots.

“I heard some arguments going on down the street, and it escalated to where it turned out to be some gunfire,” said witness Phillip Turner. “We have three kids on this street, and were very concerned about the gang activity or whatever is going on up here.”

Officials have not yet said what prompted the shooting.

Part of Highland Avenue was shut down while police investigated.

Watch Brenda Waters’ report —


The yellow police tape was still hanging late Friday morning outside a home where Wesley made his way for help after being shot.

Decline Pugh says her daughter and granddaughter were just coming home from a volleyball game.

“When they were getting out of the car, they heard the gunshot, so they were running,” Pugh said. “He must have been coming down the street.”

Pugh took Wesley into her home to try to help him. Bloodstains were still on the sidewalk and Pugh’s front porch.

“He came through the door when they opened the door, he was dragging. He dragged himself across the porch. Right here on the porch is where the blood was,” Pugh said. “Just saying that he was hurt and help me please. He must be a basketball player. He said, ‘I won’t be able to play basketball anymore.'”

Aliquippa police, the Beaver County Sheriff’s department and State Police combed the area for evidence for hours.

“I kept talking to him. ‘You’re going to be OK.’ You could tell he was scared,” Pugh said.

Pugh says she and her family were not even allowed to go back inside their home.

“All I could see, I’m trying not to cry, he was young, and he was somebody’s child and then I found out he was only 23 years old,” Pugh said.

Ironically, Pugh and her family just moved here seven days ago. So far, no motive and no suspect in this case.