Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter
BUTLER (KDKA) – A Butler County man is facing charges for allegedly electrocuting his girlfriend’s dog.
According to police, the incident happened at a home in the 400 block of North Chestnut Street in Butler.
On Sept. 1, officers were called to the home around 2:30 a.m. for a report of a disturbance.
When they arrived, a woman said she had been gone for about an hour and when she returned home, her dog was dead. She also said her boyfriend, 40-year-old Paul Plakidas, was “not acting himself” and believed he had killed her dog.
Officers spoke with Plakidas, who was described as being intoxicated. He said someone had placed the 7-year-old Maltese in a cooler, filled it with water and used a wire to electrocute it. He also told police that no one else had been at the house except for himself.
In the basement, police found the cooler full of water with a submerged electrical wire. Police said the cooler combined with other things in the basement could have caused a fire.
Plakidas has been charged with felony counts of aggravated cruelty to animals and risking catastrophe.