INDIANA TOWNSHIP (KDKA/AP) — Eleven people at an Indiana Township group home were sent to the hospital Thursday evening after they reported feeling ill.
Allegheny County officials say emergency responders were sent to the Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge drug and alcohol addiction center on Challenge Lane around 8:10 p.m.READ MORE: City Council Honors Retiring Pittsburgh Police Commander Karen Dixon
About 22 people at the home reported feeling ill due to gas fumes.
It’s believed that a gas-powered saw being run in the basement and not enough ventilation was the cause.
A total of 11 people were transported to local hospitals for evaluation.
Authorities say none of the injuries appeared to be serious. Some people reported nausea, chest pain and headaches.READ MORE: COVID-19 In West Virginia: Gov. Justice To Lift Indoor Gathering Limits At Bars, Most Businesses
UPDATE: I spoke to the Dir. of Marketing for the Western PA & Adult Challenge Center, where ppl. reported feeling sick, have left area hospitals and are back at the center. Details @ noon on @KDKA pic.twitter.com/ca80nUhkwl
— Lindsay Ward (@LindsayWardTV) April 26, 2019
Five or six patients were taken to St. Margaret, and the others were taken to Allegheny Valley Hospital.
The facility’s Director of Marketing Steve Thurston released this statement: “Everyone is doing fine. The 10 adults taken to the hospital last night, just as a precaution, are now back at the center.”
The building was aired out. But staff was later allowed to return.MORE NEWS: Gov. Tom Wolf Says 'There Is A Light At The End Of The Tunnel' 1 Year After Pennsylvania's First COVID-19 Cases
(TM and © Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)