PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The only municipal building left in the former city of Allegheny is being developed into a $7.5 million residential complex.
Constructed in 1895 in the North Side’s Allegheny West neighborhood, the Allegheny City Stables held carriages and horses for the city until 1907, when Allegheny was annexed by the city of Pittsburgh.
After that, it housed the Bureau of Highways and Sewers within Pittsburgh’s Public Works Department. In 2007, the Allegheny West Civic Council helped bring the stables at 836 W. North Avenue onto the city’s list of historic structures.
This Romanesque style building on West North Avenue was used by Allegheny City as stables. Following #Pittsburgh’s annexation of the city in 1907, it would house the @PGHDPW Bureau of Highways & Sewers and the “8th Division”. https://t.co/0vK4fd5faM
— City of Pittsburgh (@CityPGH) June 12, 2019
Now, developer Andrew Reichert and his company, Birgo Realty, are renovating the historic site into the Allegheny City Stables Loft.
The 36-unit apartment building will contain studio, one-bedroom and two bedroom options, ranging from $1,500 to $1,900 per month. The original stables will only house 12 of the units. The remaining 24 will be in a 32,000 square-feet addition that is being constructed.
The groundbreaking ceremony for the $7.5 million project will be held Wednesday at 4 p.m. Reichart is set to attend, along with Mayor Bill Peduto, Allegheny West Civic Council’s John DeSantis, Pittsburgh Police’s mounted unit and “other four-legged friends,” according to a press release.
Developers hope to have the site move-in ready by summer 2020.