PITCAIRN, Pa. (KDKA) – A local charter school was evacuated when fumes made teachers and students nauseous.
KDKA’s Bob Allen reports that 280 teachers and students had to be evacuated from Pitcairn Propel.READ MORE: Congressman Glenn Thompson Being Treated For COVID-19 At Walter Reed Hospital
The Monroeville Bororough was doing work on a sewer when fumes got into the school.
Three teachers and four students were taken to the hospital. None of the injuries are life-threatening and all have been released.
The Pitcairn Police Department said the source of the fumes was coming from an outside contactor lining the sewers behind the school.READ MORE: Volunteers Sought For Days Of Service In Honor Of Tree Of Life Victims
The school was evacuated to the Assembly of God.
Police are warning people to avoid the area of Propel Pitcairn because of a “working incident.”
According to the Pitcairn Police Department, residents should avoid the area of Wall and Agatha streets because of the Propel Pitcairn evacuation.
The alert was issued by police just after 1 p.m. Monday.MORE NEWS: 'Sounded Like A Freight Train': Washington County Residents Say Storm Lasted Just Minutes, But Cleanup Will Go On For Days
After the evacuation, teachers and students were taken to the Assembly of God School on Wall Avenue.