STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (KDKA) — Investigators say a teenager who died last month at an off-campus fraternity house near Penn State inhaled nitrous oxide.

According to our sister station CBS Philadelphia, 17-year-old John Schoenig’s death was ruled an accident by the Centre County Coroner’s Office.

READ MORE: The Return Of Fall Fun: Farms In The Region Preparing For Fall Festivities

Authorities say the laughing gas stopped Schoenig’s heart.

The Centre Daily Times reports Schoenig, of Erie, went into cardiac arrest and responders couldn’t revive him.

READ MORE: Pittsburgh Weather: Dry Conditions And Warm Temperatures Expected Thursday

The house was used by the Chi Phi fraternity. Penn State suspended the Alpha Delta chapter while they investigate.

The teen was not a Penn State student.

MORE NEWS: Hempfield Area School District Opening Pre-K Classroom Through State Grant

Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.