MONESSEN, Pa. (KDKA) — A fire that badly damaged a home in Monessen remains under investigation.
The house at 10th and Knox that was once a family home is a burned-out shell of what it once was. The home was consumed by fast-moving flames that roared through the dwelling on Wednesday.READ MORE: Trump-Backed Candidate Bob Paduchik Tapped To Head Ohio Republican Party
The battle to stop the fire began after a contractor doing renovations to a bathroom reported the sound of popping and crackling from the backyard. The worker initially believed someone was setting off fireworks.
“It was quite a challenge for the amount of fire we had,” said Monessen Municipal Fire Department Chief Delmar Hepple.
Monessen firefighters attacked the growing flames.READ MORE: Police Arrest Man Accused Of Shooting Neighbor In The Arm After Dispute
“The fire rapidly took off on us. Then we went to defensive mode,” said Hepple.
Firefighters were pulled from the building twice. Crews initially searched for the contractor, who was unaccounted for. The contractor did escape and was later found safe.
The family wasn’t home at the time of the fire. They were buying supplies for the bathroom’s renovation.MORE NEWS: Pittsburgh Weather: Heavy Rainfall, Flood Watches And Warnings Issued
The home is a total loss.