Three people were checked at the scene for smoke inhalation including one man take to the hospital for burn injuries.By Amy Wadas

By: KDKA-TV News Staff

WASHINGTON, Pa. (KDKA) — Fire investigators believe a space heater may be to blame for a large, smoky fire that broke out Tuesday morning in Washington County.

READ MORE: Handling Hypothermia And Children: Tips From One Pediatrician On Keeping Kids Warm

WATCH: Amy Wadas Reports

The fire broke out after 8 a.m. along Ewing Street in the city of Washington.

The large home is broken down into seven apartment units. Fire crews at the scene say around seven people live in the building.

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

Three people were checked at the scene for smoke inhalation.

One of those people was taken to a local hospital to be treated for burns to his face. His condition is unknown.

READ MORE: Springdale Man Accused Of Stealing Debit Card From Man’s Wheelchair

(Photo Credit: KDKA Photojournalist Aaron Sledge)

Investigators believe the fire started in that man’s apartment on the second floor. The fire chief says he believes it may have been a space heater in that unit that sparked the fire.

Joshua Ackley was not home when the fire broke out. He was already dealing with another stressful situation.

“My wife is in the hospital getting heart surgery right now,” Ackley said.

Ackley was hoping to grab some jewelry and pictures if they survived. But ultimately, the only thing he’s truly worried about now is his wife’s recovery and finding a new place to stay.

“We got the phone call there and just came here and everything is ruined gone, it’s horrible,” he said.

MORE NEWS: Police, Auto Mechanic Rescue Cat Stuck In Car

The apartment is destroyed and the Red Cross is helping those displaced by the blaze.