Having some friends over to watch the game, but don’t know what to serve?
Pulled pork sandwiches are always a hit and they’re easy to make. Add Rania Harris’ Southern Style Sauce and this week’s Heinz Red Zone recipe is destined to become a favorite at your next tailgate!
Don’t forget to tune into the PNC Steelers Huddle Show each Saturday after the 11:00pm news on KDKA-TV for more of Rania’s recipes!
Pulled Pork with Southern-Style Sauce
1 4-pound pork shoulder
2 separated, peeled Heads of garlic
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees
2. Place the pork shoulder, fat side up, in a large roasting pan and season well with salt and pepper to taste. Toss 2 heads of garlic that have been peeled, but cloves left whole around the pork.
3. Cover well with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Slow cook in the oven until tender and falling apart and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. This should take about 6 to 8 hours.
4. Remove from the oven and let the pork rest for 20 to 30 minutes. With two forks, pull apart the meat into small chunks. Toss with the Western Carolina BBQ sauce and serve.
1 cup of the Reserved roasting juices
2 cups Heinz® Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon Dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon Sweet smoked paprika
1 1/2 cups Simply Heinz™ Ketchup
Salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
1. In a medium bowl, combine the roasting juices with vinegar, adding dark brown sugar and paprika, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
2. Stir in ketchup and simmer over moderate heat for 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.