Having some friends over to watch the game? Not sure what to make for your next tailgate? Great food can help get everyone get their game face on!
Rania Harris is helping to do her part and get your pre-game party off to a great start with this week’s Heinz Red Zone recipe for Chili Cheese Dogs!
Don’t forget to tune into the PNC Steelers Huddle Show each Saturday after the 11:00pm news on KDKA-TV for more of Rania’s recipes!
Chili Cheese Dogs
1/4 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
1 chopped Medium onion
1 pound Lean ground beef
1 cup Heinz® Ketchup
1 teaspoon Chili powder
1 tablespoon Heinz® Spicy Brown Mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 Beef hot dogs
4 Top-sliced hot dog buns
1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef to the skillet. Cook, stirring until browned, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in ketchup, chili powder and mustard; simmer for 15 minutes until thick; season with salt and pepper.
3. While the chili is cooking, preheat an outdoor gas grill to a medium high heat. Brush the grates with oil to keep the hot dogs from sticking.
4. Parboil the hot dogs first before grilling: bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the hot dogs for about 5 minutes. Remove from the water and grill the hot dogs just long enough to give them grill marks.
5. Brush the insides of the rolls with oil and place them face down on the grill until lightly browned and toasted. Top each hot dog with the chili and cheddar cheese.