Every Saturday night on the PNC Steelers Huddle Show, Rania Harris is cooking up some great recipes that are sure to make you the hit of your next tailgate party.
Put your game face on and get your pre-game party off to a great start with this week’s Heinz Red Zone recipe for steak fajitas!
Don’t forget to tune into the PNC Steelers Huddle Show each Saturday after the 11:00pm news on KDKA-TV for more of Rania’s recipes!
For the Flank steak:
1 – 10 ounce Bottle Heinz® 57® Steak Sauce
¼ cup Honey
1 2-pound Beef flank steak
1. Combine the Heinz® 57® Steak Sauce and honey in a shallow 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish and stir until the honey is dissolved. Add the flank steak and turn to coat with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Bring the steak to room temperature. Preheat barbecue to a medium high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Grill the steak, brushing with the reserved marinade until nicely glazed, about 5 minutes. Turn and grill 5 minutes longer for medium-rare steak. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before carving.
3. Transfer the steak to a cutting board. Holding a sharp knife at a 45-degree angle; cut the steaks across the grain into thin slices. Transfer the meat to a warmed platter.
For the Onions:
4 tablespoons Canola oil
1 medium Chopped Spanish onion
3 cloves Chopped garlic
2 tablespoons Ancho Chile powder
1 cup Heinz® Ketchup
1/3 cup Water
2 canned, Chopped Chipotle chiles in Adobo
2 tablespoons Brown sugar
2 tablespoons Honey
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 large Vidalia onions, sliced into ¼ -inch thick slices
Canola oil for brushing the onions
1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 10 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
2. Heat grill to medium. Brush the Vidalia onion slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions until lightly golden brown. Flip over, brush with the sauce (made above) and grill until cooked through. Separate the slices into rings and place in a serving bowl. Toss with remaining sauce to coat.
For the Assembly:
2 packages 6-inch flour tortillas
2 cups Purchased guacamole
2 cups Purchased fresh salsa
16 ounces Sour cream
4 large diced, seeded ripe tomatoes
4 cups grated Pepper Monterey jack cheese
Hot sauce to taste
1/4 cup Chopped cilantro
1. Lay the 12 tortillas on a large platter and serve along with the flank steak, onions, fresh salsa, guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes and cheese. Fill each tortilla with desired ingredients, according to taste. Top with a dash of hot sauce and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and fold.