Alcohol Possibly A Factor In Monroeville Crash

By Kym Gable

MONROEVILLE (KDKA) — What started as an accident investigation may turn into a criminal investigation for Monroeville police.

A pick-up truck careened through a yard at the corner of Center and McKenzie Street. It took out a stop sign, trees and smashed through a jersey barrier on the PA turnpike below.

Police say they found at least 50 empty and unopened beer cans in the trunk. They strongly believe alcohol may have been a factor.

Both police and neighbors say it’s unbelievable no one else was hurt because the truck went across both lanes. The turnpike was shut down for about an hour.

The driver, a 47-year-old man from Delmont, is in serious condition at Mercy Hospital.

1. Jon says:

Yes! By sending them to prison you will automatically make drinking and DUI related crashes vanish. You should patent that idea..

2. Patrick says:

Alcoholism is a disease and should be treated as one, if they don’t get help our government should step in. 5209 DUI’s in Allegheny County in 2009, alcohol should be banned.

3. Patrick says:

5209 DUI’s in Allegheny County in 2009, show me one that “got off scott free.”

4. deb says:

Hey Alcoholism is a disease but the people whom don’t have the disease should not suffer by banning alcohol . There is alot, yes alot of help out there …let them find it.

5. Mary says:

You’re right. Banning it is the answer. They banned the legal use of Cocaine and look how well that worked.

6. Hoss says:

Last time I checked, trucks don’t have trunks. Beds covered with caps, etc. maybe. But no trunks. Nice reporting job.

7. rusty h says:

DUI is a crime and needs to have jail time on first offense period. DUI convictions do cost the defendant time and lots of money, but they need to have stiff penalty of jail time on first offense.6months to 1year minimum. Lets stop the madness of DUI causing deaths and heartache

8. llinda d says:

DUI is a crime that needs to punishable by jailtime period. So many lives are destroyed by the reckless behavior of a drunk driver. Start to send these drunks to Prison for 2-3 years for the first offense.

9. One small voice says:

Lucky he didn’t kill anyone

10. ANONYMOUS says:

11. Janell says:

My husband and I were on our way back from dinner at The Mills and got stuck for an hour and a half in the mess. I have panic attacks and almost had to call 911 to get me out of there. If it turns out that the guy was drunk, let me at him. I’d happily strangle him. If it was a medical situation, well I’ll let him off the hook.

1. ANONYMOUS says:

1. Concerned Citizen says:

I agree, all the people on here posting their bad comments should apologize!!

2. anony. says:

strangling him is a little harsh ma’am. iit sounds like you have a little more than panic attacks.. hmm? anger issues as well!

12. Anonymous says:

As far as i’ve seen, most of these comments seem like none of you know the man. Not that i do but, you people are making assummtions and ignorant, thought-less comments.

13. S.L. says:

I think the media went wrong with this. i do not think they had even tested the man before they assumed he was drunk? was he even drunk?!

14. Petey says:

oh come on put yourself in this man’s family’s shoes, they were probably worried sick about him.. disgusting how rude some of these comments can be.

15. ANONYMOUS says:

I know I would certainly be worried if that was my husband or family member in this crash. As far as I know, which by the way i’ve read all the comments, he wasn’t drunk. he couldve had a medical disease or blacked out or something further more

16. will g says:

maybe he was just recycling can and had a accident.

17. Concerned Citizen says:

just to set you all straight!! I personally know the guy, he was on his way home from work when he had a seziure behind the wheel he not in anyway drunk!! people need to get their facts straight before accusing! I’m pretty sure your comments would change if it was your family member!!! the man cant help it if he has a medical condition and gets cleared to drive by the doctor!!!! it wasn’t his fault!!

18. Concerned Citizen says:

police should also learn to keep their mouths shut before blabbing about info they know nothing about!! you shouldn’t say its possible this or possibly that! know before you post it to the world!! they’re already putting bad news out on a person and they have no idea thier history!! this is were all the bad stuff comes from people assuming and not knowing!!!

Comments are closed.