“Significant Snowfall” Heading Our Way

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A few flurries won’t amount to much today; but a major winter storm is heading our way and it is expected to bring “significant snowfall” to the region.

Western Pennsylvania will be under a winter storm watch beginning tomorrow morning and into Wednesday.

According to the National Weather Service, a winter storm watch means there is a potential for significant snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel.

KDKA Meteorologist Dennis Bowman says we can expect the first flakes to start falling late Tuesday morning around the Pittsburgh area.

He’s predicting that we will see between two- to four-inches of accumulation by the afternoon rush hour; and another inch or so of snow into Wednesday morning.

Some parts of the area could see blowing and drifting snow.

The flakes will begin to taper off late Wednesday; but some light lake effect snow is still expected to fall into Thursday.

As the system heads towards the mid-Atlantic Seaboard, parts of Greater New York and New England will likely see what Dennis describes as a “disrupting snowfall” with a number of flight delays.

Comments

1. The Chosen One says:

Its only January and Im sick of snow already

1. Vettegirl1 says:

I left SoCal for this?? @#$%!

2. reggie says:

two to four inches is not “significant.” For an area that sees a lot of snow each year, people sure do get all frantic whenever there is a dusting on the road.

1. B. says:

you’re so right!!!

2. Snowlover says:

I agree with this ^ “Significant snow” is classified as 6 inches or more. Also the winter storm watch from noaa is saying 6 inches or greater is possible from this storm. It is high ratio snow heading toward the burgh

3. Steelers Fan says:

“Significant snow” is more like 5-8 inches.

1. snow bunny says:

that is what I am talking about.. I bought a 4×4.. LET it snow..

3. Jack says:

Great, now all the old blue hairs will flood the grocery stores like it’s 1945 again and they won’t be able to leave their houses for weeks.

1. Janice says:

Better stock up on bread, milk and toilet paper while there’s still some to be had!

1. Dave says:

Boy, did you hit that Pittsburgh nail square on the head! Terrific!

4. Barbara Murawski says:

THANK GOD FOR SNOWBLOWERS!

5. Kevin says:

I agree with reggie. 2 to 4 is little more than a dusting. “Significant” to me would be 12 inches plus. There’s more snow removal equipment and more 4 wheel and alll wheel drive vehicles on the roads but it seems that with every dusting people want to panic.

6. Kelly says:

@ reggie. You know why people get frantic even when there is a dusting on the road? It’s because even with a LIGHT snowfall , the roads become dangerous and slick…nothing wrong with being cautions. I think the snow fall is significant NOT because of the amount of snow, but because how fast it’s going to fall.

7. John Koval says:

I work 3-11 shifts at a local hospital and the night staff ALWAYS calls of when it snows a few inches and I ALWAYS get mandated to work a double shift. Finally my manager is making the security go and pick these people up. It happened last winter with that 2ft of snow. I bet I worked four or five double shifts. Not this year… Thank You new manager!

1. hates it says:

clap on .. clap off.. clap on clap off. the new manager. will get his day..

8. Jen says:

Kelly must be one of those people who drives 5 mph when there’s a light snowfall! Come on!!! you live in an area that has a good bit of snow every winter!! It’s one thing to be cautious, but to freak out over a few inches is just rediculous!

1. Joan says:

Another person who thinks they are more powerful than mother nature. Probably drive an SUV, like the ones I always see in the ditch, an amateur rookie who never actually drove through a REAL ‘few inches of snow’ because our ROAD CREWS make sure it doesnt happen! Hope I dont have to be on the road with you Jen! I’ll be reading about you in the papers I imagine, in the ‘Police’ section….

9. Dave says:

C’mon Dennis,,,,,,,this is Pittsburgh, 2-4 is like an appetizer!

10. pens fan says:

They haven’t gotten a forecast right in years. Whatever comes, it won’t be what they predicted and of course they won’t mention that they were wrong. Always the “computer models.” Ha, put trygar on. He always makes it sound like the world is coming to an end. We are better off looking out our windows for a weather forecast.

1. Justin Gilles says:

I can not agree with you more. I woudl respect any station that says yes we blew that call for 6 inches of snow and only got an inch instead of saying o wow did we ever get lucky.. no we did not you caused a panic at every store in the area and every school cause you where wrong so no thats not luck just admit it you have not idea how much just say its going to snow maybe a little or maybe alot i just dont know

11. Scare me more --- Please says:

It is so irritating that the news tries to get everyone worked up over any little thing they can. Calling 2 – 4 inches of snow “significant” is pathetic. Why don’t they just report what is happening rather trying to scare people.

I agree with Pens Fan, they never get the forecast correct. I’m a teacher and I tell my students that they should go to school to be a meteorologist. What other job can you be wrong 90% of the time and continue to retain your job? If 90% of what I teach was wrong, I would be fired within a week.

12. ron21juliet says:

Hey, people! Damage to vehicles is EXPENSIVE, and injuries to occupants are MUCH more so. With so many more cars on the roads now, it behooves each and everyone to take the hazard warnings seriously. No, there is no need to panic, but let’s drop the cavalier attitudes and replace them with sensibility on the highways. We all want to get home every day as soon as we can, but no one wants to bring home a wreck!

13. john says:

snow in pittsburgh ..i agree ..tell us …. dont lead the news ….. at the rate we are going children will never go to school ….. its ridiculous

14. Joan says:

boy oh boy! aren’t most a ya holier than the rest of us with your winter super powers? LOL! If you didnt have meteorologists to pick on, then what would you do for fun?! We are LUCKY to have GREAT ROAD CREWS PEOPLE! Thats why winter here is liveable! If all the snow dumps at once, its in fact very dangerous so we need some heads up. Teachers dissing the profession to their students – thats just wrong. Yeah, so weather predicting isnt always perfect but its mostly right. YOU TOO have all the scientific facts available so make your own predictions and see how YOU DO!

15. only snow says:

Wow, I didn’t realize Pittsburghers were such whiny babies. Calm down here is your baba.

1. Joan says:

If you dont drive here ‘only snow’, how can you call people names? Your lack of education and maturity shows. We have EXCELLENT ROAD CREWS so theres a percentage of spoiled clueless ‘its all about me’ people who disregard just when it is dangerous to drive and then do risky things that cause danger to EVERYONE ELSE. How much snow means nothing around here – its all about timing. However good they are, the road crews can’t be everywhere every second, especially when it dumps a snow squall, visibility is rotten and ice is prevalent too. Get some physics education and quite pretending you’re more powerful than mother nature. oh what a waste of time…I’ll wave at you IF you come to town and you’re in the ditch…. LOL!

1. only snow says:

Get some physics education and “quite” pretending you’re more powerful than mother nature.

ha ha. Get some spelling education, and stop being such a worry wart. I am from Pittsburgh. I guess the Pittsburghers I interact with aren’t such babies. I think you would do better living in NY. shhhh shhhhh, its ok, here is your bottle. Time to take your nap.

16. db says:

I can see maybe some people might be low on some food, but what’s up with the toilet paper thing.

1. Mary says:

I think it’s because all people from Pittsburgh can sense an oncoming storm and it has a direct effect on their colon.

2. Steelers Fan says:

I don’t get it either.

17. christopheriacovino says:

Historically this area avg seasonl snowfall is 35 in . therefore 6-8 is significant but not impressive

18. Eric B. says:

I think the reason why some people are frantic about the snow is that they know that the road crews may not get to their area until much later, if at all. Personally I’m not looking forward to it as I have performance tires & need to save up to get snow tires. At least I have the ability to do my work from home though.

19. Tim from Upper St Clair says:

Bring back Kudzma – I remember when he prdicted the big snow storm in ’71 ! all of the current weather persons are chumps. I agree with Pensfan – just look at window to get forecast.

P.S. I have to go now to get milk and bread!!

20. Shriflon says:

@ Jen Please know what you are talking about before you post. Being completely irrelevant and saying “Kelly drives 5mph when it snows” and then later saying “it’s one thing to be cautious” just destroyed your whole point and statement. @ Pens Fan- How do you think they get the information to make their forecasts? The MODELS. While it isn’t right to put full blame on the models, it is not all the Meteorologist’s fault. @ Reggie- You and many others overanalyze the word “Significant”. It is not about snow totals in any way. For example: 1-2 inches in northern Florida would be classified as a significant snow. Ron21 has basically summed everything to point.

21. moeman says:

I agree with pens fan. These forcasters are a bunch of clowns. I wish I could earn a living making mistakes all the time.

22. Marc says:

Just another way for the media to excite all the people of Pittsburgh. 2-4 inches is not “significant.” I would consider 8 inches “significant.” I honestly don’t even believe the weatherman anymore. For all we know, we could wake up to 2 feet of a snow tomorrow. Instead of getting the people all excited, why don’t you just say that it’s going to be a normal snowfall. Make sure everyone stocks up on bread, milk , and toilet paper. This is going to be a “significant” storm my fellow people of Pittsburgh.🙂

23. Dee says:

If you all remember they were only calling for 8″ when we got our two feet. It is all a guessing game and only Mother Nature knows the truth.

24. gary says:

Why dont they just come out and say it, This weather forcast is brought to you by Giant Eagle where they have all the toilet paper you could need during this winter storm,

25. Joe T says:

Does anyone know how many rolls of toilet paper you can fit into a Ford Exploer?

26. lmb says:

2 to 4 inches, Oh my I better get the toilet paper and bread. Never could understand why people strom the stores for those products.

27. Ashley says:

Ahem, how is it possible that all of the local counties have weather watches except Fayette and Westmoreland, seriously, how?

28. Eric jackson says:

A majority of you lived here in the north for how long, and you’re still complaining about the snow?

29. Sandy says:

WE love the SNOW so let it snow!!! Over the weekend they said that Indiana was to get 1 to 2 inches we got way more like 4-5 inches so bring it on……

30. ed says:

The best is when the kids have a 2 hr. delay when it’s 3 degrees at 7 in the morning, so when they go to the bus stop at 9 it’s 5 degrees woooo hoooo break out the shorts and tee shirts that 2 hrs. made a difference !!!!

1. Ryan says:

I never remember being delayed when I was a kid because of the temperature. That is so weak.

1. Steelers Fan says:

They might as well close all the schools if they’re going to panic about 2-4 inches. It’s not like we’re going to get burried in 20 feet of snow.

2. ColdTempsForBuses says:

It’s because at the very cold temps it takes longer to get the buses started. They need to plan on making sure there is enough time to get all buses running.

31. Charles says:

Thought a winter storm watch usually meant 6+ inches of snow or greater? NWS issued a Winter Storm Watch yesterday and they seem more reliable. Each station’s forecast differs it seems. Last February we were supposed only get 3-6″ & ended up with 19, so it’s not an exact science. I think we’ll get 6-9″ once storm skirts past us towards New England & then we’ll get wrap around NW winds off of Erie. The two lows are supposed to consolidate into the major storm. 2-4″ is not a significant snowstorm & all it does is create panic for people rushing to the stores.

32. nevada trust says:

it’s so interesting to witness the reeducation of the public about winter and the fraud of global warming.

33. Joseph Puskar says:

didnt we just get 2-4 inches? and the town still functioned perfectly

34. Tom Sentner says:

I am a transplanted Pittsburgher now living in Atlanta, Ga. Last night and today we had 6″ YES 6″ of snow last night & about a tenth of inch of ice to boot. Now you talk about a city shutting down. We won’t be out of this until March. I do miss Pittsburgh, but not the snow.

35. Teabag says:

Joan must obviously either A- work for Pendot, or B- is related, married, or betrothed to someone who does. The road crews did a FANTASTIC job of clearing the road for that gentleman who died last year when the ambulance couldn’t get to his house, right? Take your self-righteous defense of the over-paid “road crew(s)” somewhere else, lady, cause no one gives 2 squirts about their heroics. Drive a snow plow, salt the roads, and shut the hell up. Maybe we’ll see YOU in a ditch and laugh at YOU. You probably go to church on Sunday’s too, huh? Freakin nutbags.

1. Shelley says:

My thought exactly!!!!! Shut the hell up a nd do your job!!!

36. vigodits says:

Whadda yo gonna do when winter comes?. I’ll take snow over hazy, hot, and humid any day.

37. dan says:

2 to 4 inches is significant snowfall the same way that
    minor car crashes, house fires and shootings in homewood
    are “breaking news”.

38. Pghpooh says:

Just testocked the pantry.
    Full tank of gas.
    Fresh gas for the snow blower.
    Brand new snow blower.
    Lots of food and or soup and snadwich for dinners or lunch.
    Grand kids are a few houses away and will come over for hot chocolate and to play games or watch tv.
    Lots of movies to watch.
    I’m ready!!!!

39. pghpooh says:

Whoops.
    Should use the snow time to learn how to spell and type! LOL

40. Don Cannon says:

Did one station even call for more then a foot last year when we saw 2 feet? Nope…. they are a joke…. Lets go to the map no a@@hole lets go to the window cause you dont know how to use the map! How about do a breaking new story on how when you guys make a huge story out of nothing about the weather and the stores profits go up that week cause of the media making ridic commericals about watch tonight at 11 about the first bilzzard of 2011.

41. pittgirl says:

I’m a hoarder and have 500 rolls of Toilet paper on hand-bring it on! LOL

42. Sonni Abatta says:

I’m sure glad I’m in Florida right now!

43. Pittsburgh Diet says:

People who eat large amounts of bread and milk are the largest consumers of toilet paper (aka weather dramacasters)

44. Dr Michael says:

What we got is not significant, you want to see significant head north of I 80

45. DON ROSENSTEEL says:

DO YA THINK U GUYS WILL EVER FIND WEATHER PERSONEL WHO JUST MIGHT GET THE WEATHER RIGHT 10 PERCENT OF THE TIME JUST AINT GETTIN IT ……. THEIR NO DIFFERENT THAN REFEREES,THEY CAN BE TOTALLY WRONG ON A CONSISTANT BASIS AND NEVER LOSE THEIR JOBS 1-2 INCHES THROUGHOUT THE STEELER GAME AND INTO SUNDAY ,YEA RIGHT PRIME EXSAMPLE, THEY REALLY ARE BAD SORRY OPEN UP THE EYES A LITTLE HUH????? SORRY JUST HAVE TO STATE THE FACTS!!!!

Comments are closed.