82-Year-Old Fires Shots At Robbers In North Union Township

NORTH UNION TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — When robbers broken into 82-year-old Parren Ward’s home in North Union Township, Fayette County, they probably never imagined the struggle they’d face.

Ward says he was watching TV Saturday evening when two robbers broke through his locked front door.

“I’m sitting in this chair and the guy came flying and grabbed me,” he said.

Ward says he fought back, but eventually the robbers grabbed his wallet and took off. That’s when he says he went for his Buffalo revolver and followed them outside. He says he fired two shots – one in the general direction of the robber’s getaway car.

He says from now on, he’ll keep the gun at his side. “I’m going to carry the gun with me, and I’m going to shoot anybody who comes in here.”

“It’s a shame that a man has to lock his door and lock himself up and carry a gun around to stay in his own house,” Ward says.

Police have made no arrests.

Ward says also discovered someone trying to get into his home last year, but he chased that person away.

Comments

1. Ryan says:

Love this story! Defend your home!

2. Spit says:

This crazy old man just let a shot off & didn’t get a reckless endangerment charge. If it was me doing a shot demo for KDKA, I’d be in ACJ right now. This man better get hit with that felony charge or I’ll be at the sheriffs office tomorrow having a chat ! FELONY FELONY FELONY !!!

3. Spit says:

…Give him 3 hits. He shot up the street , down the street & one time for KDKA news. Defending your home takes place “IN” the home Ryan-learn the law!Pittsburgh Police- practice what you preach & arrest the old man- thanks !

4. Darth says:

Spit, I wish it were you who had been faced by a robber! “Old Timer” keep up the good work! We’re all witrh you!

5. Spit says:

Been there, done that pal & I was arrested for discharging a firearm in an urban area. That’s amissy but i was also hit w/ reckless endangerment for protecting my own. Thats a felony undeserved. It’s the law man. don’t hate on me. It’s fact- not opinion. What if one oh his stray bullets hit your kid at the dinner table. Think about it smart guy

1. FixPGH says:

And Spit who were you shooting at that you had to discharge your gun? Your girlfriend? All who do wrong always think they’re innocent, so don’t be mad that this guy got off.

With all the robberies going on, who wouldn’t want to have a gun with them? Seriously this city is being overrun by violence and if the police are going to go around beating up innocent people (Jordan Miles) to a pulp instead of protect us, then we’ll just have to do it ourselves.

6. Capey says:

This guy’s life was NOT in danger after the robbery happened. Therefore, it was NOT necessary to use deadly force (firing a gun) just to get his stuff back. His shooting was totally illegal and anyone in the neighborhood in the path of those bullets could’ve gotten seriously hurt.

1. FixPGH says:

Are you one of the robbers? Were you not carrying a gun? There is a possibility they were, or they could have beat him up, them probably being younger and him being an older man. Why is everyone against someone defending themself?

1. expittsburgh says:

I think most are commenting on the law. He should be charged, sadly. I agree that he should be allowed to shoot at them, but regardless of my personal opinion, the law states that you can’t fire at someone fleeing if your life is not in danger.

7. orion says:

The lesson is keep your gun near you so you can kill any intruders before they have a chance to do anything to you or your property

1. Lisa Ann says:

LOVE IT, orion! My thoughts exactly. I’ll be damned if someone is going to come into MY home and take MY hard-earned cash from under me! I am NEVER without a loaded firearm in my home. Never.

8. expittsburgh says:

@spit, I agree he could be charged with the first shot, but the other two aren’t illegal…depending on where you live. If he’s in the city then most likely, but in rural areas it’s legal to shoot your gun on your own property. I shoot in my yard quite often. Depends on where you live.

9. Spit says:

agreed @ Capey & Expittsburgh

=)

1. ZOEYZOTRON says:

Its your right to defend yourself, your family and property. If an a$$hole intruder enters my house, he will be shot, plain and simple, bottom line.

1. orion says:

Exactly!

2. Spit says:

note: you said “enters” The offenders were gone when the dude let off the shots

10. Capey says:

@Zoeytron
    The difference is that the robber wasn’t IN the house at the time he was shot at. He was on the street running away.
    The rules change when the robber is fleeing, even while inside your house. If the robber is inside your house and is running towards the door to get away and you shoot him in the back, YOU will go to jail, not him.
    I’m not saying that I completely support these laws, but they are there for a reason.

1. ZOEYZOTRON says:

CAPEY – If someone breaks into my house, threatens my families’ safety, and I catch them, they are getting shot period. I do not care if they are running out the door, climbing out a window, sitting on my toilet, or hiding in a closet crying for their momma. They decided their fate the minute they entered my home uninvited with less than admirable intentions. As for shooting down the road, I am a responsible gun owner and would wait until I had a clear/safe shot.

1. Spit says:

clear shot or not- you’d be headed for the big house =)

2. ZOEYZOTRON says:

I choose to defend my house and Family SPIT. I could careless what you do.

1. ZOEYZOTRON says:

Also SPIT, that a small price to pay to procect my family from some dirt bag A-hole. i would be doing society a favor and I’ll bet there would be tremendous support for it.

2. ZOEYZOTRON says:

i mean “that’s a small price to pay to protect my family”

11. Dave says:

good job, should have hit both of them .they deserve it.,probably for drugs

Comments are closed.