Suspect Sought In Overnight Chase In Dormont

DORMONT (KDKA) – Police continue their search for a suspect today following an overnight pursuit and crash in Dormont.

Authorities say the suspect was driving a stolen red Jeep Cherokee when a Dormont police officer tried to pull him over.

The Dormont officer, Sgt. Ralf Zawischa, says he attempted to make the traffic stop around 2 a.m. when he saw the vehicle traveling the wrong way on Park Boulevard.

“I just figured it was a routine traffic stop,” Sgt. Zawischa said.

However, Sgt. Zawischa said the driver put the vehicle in reverse and struck the police crusier.

“It lost control shortly after that and slid into a parked car. As my police vehicle got closer, the driver of the vehicle threw the jeep into reverse and backed it into my police car. The vehicles became entangled because of the push bar. The jeep actually rode up over the push bar,” said Sgt. Zawischa. “He couldn’t go anywhere so he exited the vehicle, attempted to run.”

“I tried to restrain him. An altercation ensued,” said Sgt. Zawischa. “He was able to slip [out of] his jacket.”

Officials say police with Dormont, Baldwin, Mount Lebanon and Castle Shannon searched the area but were unable to find the suspect.

They are continuing the search today.

Also, authorities say they were able to contact the owner of the jeep in White Oak. Police also found checkbooks in the Jeep from someone is Beechview and a car radio.

Comments

1. A Military Veteran says:

A friend and I were at Tom’s Diner, just around 2 AM, wondering what all the commotion was. Good deal that the owner got their car back, and now we know there’s a car thief out there, jacking people’s vehicles in the middle of the night.

2. Bob Lozano says:

I like Tom’s Dinner

3. Bob Lozano says:

Dormont is becoming unsafe.

4. CitizenX says:

Tootsoon im sure…

5. jj says:

great police work, Did Zawisha even try to chase him? If thats the city, dude aint getting away

6. Brian says:

This happened right behind my house and I watched as the red jeep spun tires to evade the Dormont Polcie Officer. The police offer did not pursue the suspect on foot and let him slip away and i don’t think the officer drew his weapon. I moved to Dormont 2 years ago and it seems pretty safe but I am concerned that crime is starting to move up the hill from Beechview into the neighborhood. That’s probably because Dormont is more worried about handing out citations for parking violations and leaving citations on my door for not shoveling my sidewalk when it snows (BECAUSE I’M AT WORK!!!).

7. Glenn Bloss says:

Brian move…ghetto Beechview and Brooklyn are invading

8. Jim says:

I grew up in Dormont and i’m proud to be from there. The idea that the crime is coming all from Beechview or the other B – Brookline is silly. A major artery splits dormont in half, and mix in a few bars and restaurants (Tom’s Diner, Vasta, Slapshots) that are known to have classy clientele after 10pm and you get a news story. Anyone who has drove up west liberty on the weekend after 10pm has seen the flashing lights and people in handcuffs outside of these places more than once. All in all it is a great community and might get a bad wrap being between the city and a more prestigious neighborhood like Mt. Lebanon (which if everyone hasn’t heard they are saying the same thing about Lebo that they were saying about Dormont – crime is moving in). Dormont is safe but you have to have your wits about you anywhere you go these days.

9. chance says:

I hear they are going to send him to driver’s ed training IF caught!

10. Cara Wiegand-Bard says:

Crime happens EVERYWHERE, not just in “bad” neighborhoods. I live in Beechview, close to the border of Dormont. Besides a few car break-ins, my neighborhood is very safe and sound. I am proud to live here and raise my small children here.

11. Mr. MtL says:

Beechview is a hole…I wouldn’t even let my dog live there.

12. redrock100 says: