Super Bowl Dream Comes True For Colon Cancer Patient

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — It’s the dream of a lifetime for Paula Smith – the chance to see her beloved Steelers play in the Super Bowl.

Suffering from inoperable colon cancer and already having outlived her doctors’ predictions of survival, Paula made a wish after the Steelers won the AFC Championship.

“You only live once. Make your dream come true — live life to the fullest and I said, ‘Oh I want to go to the Super Bowl so bad,’” Paula said.

Her cadre of loyal friends led by Audrey Antoski went into action, hopping on the phone and clouded the internet with emails.

Paula said a prayer.

“You know, who knows how long I’ll be here, and I said, ‘It’s going to be in God’s hands. Send out the prayers everybody and hopefully I can get tickets to go,’” she said.

An angel responded in the form of a linebacker – former Penn Stater and Dallas Cowboy standout Sean Lee came up with a pair of tickets and an Arlington Hotel comped her a room.

Others chipped in for the plane tickets and Paula is set to go.

“I can’t wait to get there,” she said. “It’s just going to be awesome.”

The fact the game is against the Packers makes it even more special. Paula went to Bishop Boyle High School with Packers coach Mike McCarthy. It’s an enduring friendship, but not quite strong enough to make her switch allegiances.

“I like Mike, but the Steelers come first,” she said.

Comments

1. Michele Walls says:

Paula my prayers are with you, Have fun at the game!

2. Ed and Pat Salaj says:

Paula
    Bring home a winner.
    Have fun.

3. Amy Clody says:

Paula,

Go Paula…Go Steelers !!!

Amy (Morrissey) Clody (Kathy’s sister)

4. Tim says:

It’s great to hear of friends and friendships that you have ! I am happy to hear that your lifetime dream is coming true. Good things happen to good people . GO STEELERS!!!!!!!

5. Tim says:

God BlessYou You are in my prayers. I hope you bring the Steelers luck.
    Enjoy the game. Go Steelers

6. Cindy O says:

Hey Paula,
    I hope you have the time of your life. May God Bless you and give you strenght. May the Lord give you complete healing and thur this illness may you bring many to the Lord…

7. Pat K says:

God Bless & Enjoy!! My Son, age 42 had hestitations of going to Super Bowl XL in Detroit due to financial expenses however he did go & never stopped talking about it. After a hard battle he died in Oct. 09 of Scaroma cancer. Forever grateful he had the experience of a Steeler Super Bowl.
    Go girl, keep that positive attitude & fight to beat all odds!

8. Gary Pointer says:

Kudos to The Admiral Hotel in Arlington Texas for donating hotel room!

9. D.J. says:

Paula,
    While in Texas, checkout the Burzynski Clinic in Houston. There is also a clinic in Tijuana, Mexico named The Hoxsey Clinic. They are curing cancer. You can be around to see the Steelers go to many more Super Bowls

Don’t give up hope even if western medicine has given up. There are alternatives.

10. Brigit Sterling says:

OMG Smitty, that’s awesome!!! How sweet will that be to win the Super Bowl in Dallas’ new house?!?! Have a blast and bring home a winner!!! And Audrey, you da best for making this happen for her!!!

11. O HAPPY DAY says:

You watch your game sweetheart,and enjoy your day win or lose!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!

12. O HAPPY DAY says:

SEAN LEE(UPPER ST.CLAIR) CLASS ACT!!!!!!!

13. tony fratangelo says:

have fun paula and bring home a 7th lombardi trophy. so happy for you.

14. KELLY says:

WAY TO GO PAULA! BRING HOME THAT TROPHY! YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS! LOTS OF LOVE…KELLY “ALLEN” KATZ

15. SUSIE says:

PAULA,

SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU THAT YOUR GETTING YOUR DREAM. BRING US HOME A WINNER. ENJOY IT ALL.

LOVE, SUSIE MORRISSEY

16. Teresa Schessler Fawcett says:

Black & yellow, black & yellow! Go Paula! Have a great time! Prayers are with you!

17. Camille Sholock says:

God Bless You Paula!!! Have an incredible time!!!

18. Heather Lersch says:

Have a great dream come true…Prayers are with you…

19. Janine holet says:

Paula, So happy for you. Have a happy and safe trip. Audrey you are a good person. God Bless You girls! Go Steelers! Janine Oliveri Holet

20. Jackie Oliveri says:

It could not have happened to two better people! Behave yourselves! Stay safe and warm. Lots of love. Go Steelers!!!!!!!! Jackie Oliveri

21. Sis Capone says:

Paula…I’m down south with Fred and Myrtle who are so excited for you. They both have the biggest smiles all day long and really wish the best time for you. Enjoy the greatest team in the league and all that goes with your trip to the 45th Super Bowl. The Snowbird Team at MICHA is behind you all the way. Best of Luck. xoxoxox

22. Lisa (Seckel) Haynes says:

Hi Paula… Have a great time at the Superbowl! I know how much you love your STEELERS! You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Go crazy and bring home that trophy!
    Luv ya!

23. Dottie says:

Hope you enjoy your game..im having a similiar situation going on too..i went through breast cancer when pittsburgh played in detroit in 2005/2006 superbowl game..then i was told again just within the last 2 weeks that i will be going through the breast cancer again..and here go the steelers again getting ready for another superbowl. So im praying thats a good positive sign for both myself in defeating cancer and the pittsburgh steelers will be defeating green bay..only thing is i live here in texas but was born and raised in pittsburgh..and i still couldnt afford to go to the superbowl…so i hope were all winners tomorrow…oh yeah if anyone wants to still send me to the game…im willing..ill even drive…love our black and gold.

24. John & Peg Chalus says:

Paula,

“With God all things are possible.” Check out what D.J. said above. How awesome would it be, to go to the super bowl AND be cured!!! Don’t ever give up! Our prayers are with you.

Kudos to you Audrey for making such a wonderful thing happen!

Can’t beat Lincoln Place girls!

25. Sylvia and Oscar Kahan says:

Dear Paula, How wonderful that you got your chance to go to the Super Bow. It couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person. You have an angel in Audrey looking out for you. Enjoy watching your Steelers in person.

26. Corinne says:

Paula – That’s what it;s all about. Making dreams come true and making a difference in someone’s life. Your friends love you, because you have made a difference in their life. Even though we haven’t kept in touch, I often think of those days at McBride Park when softball was our life. Your positive attitude and your encouragement always got me through that next hitter who was bigger than me and,who I knew could put that ball over the fense. Whatever did happen with that hitter was never as important as your encouraging words. Stay strong and God Bless you.

27. Stephanie Carbin (Eckley) says:

God has taken such a wonderful person who has touched so many lives along the way. My cousin got her dream come true thanks to all the great people in her life and some that didn’t even know her. Paula has now passed and she will always be in my heart and I will never forget all the times we had growing up. A special thanks goes out to all the people who made this possible for her. God bless and Paula you will never be forgotten. I love you forever…

Comments are closed.