Sulfur-Like Odor Sends 26 To Hospital

By: Trina Orlando

MURRYSVILLE (KDKA) — More than two dozen teachers and students were evacuated from Franklin Regional Middle School Wednesday because of a foul odor.

The odor was detected around 7 a.m. before most students arrived. In all, 24 teachers and two students were taken to Forbes Regional Hospital for respiratory evaluation.

The odor was caused by the battery from a floor scrubber, which overheated while charging.

Students were housed in the high school while the building was ventilated.

A “sniffing” of the building determined all was back to normal shortly before 11 a.m. Classes were allowed to resumed at the middle school.

The school district said no one suffered any serious injuries.

Stay With KDKA For More Details.

  • JR

    Students or faculty the other stations are reporting faculty members?

  • Big Daddy Kahuna

    If before 7:00 am as stated, most were liikely teachers. My kid does not board his bis until after 7:00, then gets there around 7:40. He went straight to the senior high when the bus arrived.

  • LGF

    both students and faculty. also the students didnt get back to the middle school until around 12:30

  • Just Saying...

    “A “sniffing” of the building determined all was back to normal shortly before 11 a.m.”…Sounds very reliable.

    “This place smell okay to you?”
    “Smells fine.”
    “Good, bring back the students.”

  • italianbella412

    Hahaha^ that was hilarious. prob exactly wat they did!

  • FRMS Student

    i had to sit there for 2 and a half hours

  • critter

    was it from Homewood?

  • Possible Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations In Chartiers Valley School DistrictCBS Pittsburgh

    […] LINKS: Chartiers Valley School District Equitable Gas Peoples Natural Gas Sulfur-Like Odor Sends 26 To Hospital More Local […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Bringing You The Best in Sports Talk Radio
Download And Win Today!

Listen Live