More Snow Accumulation Expected Overnight

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for the Pittsburgh area.

Monday evening’s snowfall has been one for the record books. It’s the most snow the area has had all season.

So far, six-inches of snow has accumulated in Moon Township; five-inches in Scott Township and four-inches in Latrobe.

In Mars, seven-inches of snow fell. Bethel Park and Donora saw six-inches.

“Too many places to list, but safe to say just about all neighborhoods coming in anywhere between four-to-six inches of accumulation already and the snow is still falling,” KDKA Chief Meteorologist Jeff Verszyla said.

The snow has been falling steadily and heavily in Allegheny County, but the good news is the precipitation is beginning to taper off.

“Look for the snow to taper off here after midnight,” Verszyla said.

Overnight, he expects an additional one to two-inches of additional snowfall along with treacherous travel and reduced visibility.

RELATED LINKS
School Closings
Local Radar
Traffic Cams
WeatherBug
National Weather Service

Comments

1. nick says:

please 2 hour delay

1. rich says:

no delays i have to be at work on time tomorrow.

2. Get A Life! says:

KDKA should re-think their social media policy. You’re giving every idiot the microphone. Poor Jeff – Not your fault man. Hang in there.

2. mark says:

gee, the weather wizards missed this one. now, after the fact they run out and give this report

3. rich says:

wow i think phil was a little off on this one,you think,lousy rodent.

1. Dan G says:

Phil was actually right on — spring came early — problem is it only lasted 2 days !

4. Ace says:

my gosh, don’t these nitwits stick their heads out the window before they give a forecast? I had 2 inches in my yard by 3pm, and these guys were saying the snow wouldn’t even start until this evening!!!

1. TJH says:

We already got 4 to 5. I hate to see what else we are going to get.

5. John J Johnson says:

Its been sleeting for the last hour here in Monessen. Who knows what we will have by the end of all of this!!

6. Bob Kudzma says:

What you mean we’ll get 4-5″ of snow? There’s already that much on the ground! I am predicting 4-8″ by Tuesday morning. Weren’t yinz guys calling for 1-2″ of snow yesterday?

7. italianbella412 says:

These people are idiots its been snowing like crazy for hours n their now saying this..

8. Dave says:

SHOOT THE GROUNDHOG!!!

1. William Campbell says:

Groundhog jerky

9. cole says:

i feel a second smowpoclaypse

10. Joe says:

I know what I’be doing tomorrow,busting my a$$ shoveling snow…….It was gone for what,2 days and now a fresh load…….I am so utterly sick of snow that if I never saw it again it would be too soon !!!…….If I ever get rich (I won’t but it’s a nice fantasy to entertain) I would never return to this God forsaken place

11. Shockly says:

Pay through the teeth …? What are you talking about?

12. Jeff says:

I’d like to see any one of you ignorant-to-reality critics provide an exact forecast for a completely inexact science. You cannot forecast, control or anticipate the weather. It’s always been that way, it will always be that way. Winds change, fronts form…..it’s the way mother nature works.

Hypocritical idiots.

1. Shockly says:

Whoa Jeff, loosen that fancy tye you got on there….Sheesh!

2. Biffy says:

We all know you can’t predict turbulence,Jeffy

3. Matt says:

If you cant predict the weather accuratly then you souldnt try. If your going to guess what the weather is going to do. Then call it that, and dont get anyones hopes up. People rely on accuracy not guesses.

4. Kem says:

Jeff, unlike KDKA, none of us claim to accurately predict the weather nor make a living off of it. I’m willing to give the weather team some leeway, but KDKA really dropped the ball on this one. The forecast was “high 40s and rain” when I went to bed last night to “2-4 inches starting in the evening” when I woke up to “4-5 inches of snow” when there was already 5 inches on the ground at the time this article was published! The weather forecast is now up to “5-9 inches” and there’s a literal, honest-to-God, no exaggeration, BLIZZARD outside my window. How the heck do you miss that badly? KDKA should fire their weather people.

5. scott says:

was this a line from the movie “the weatherman”?

6. scott says:

But I don’t predict it. Nobody does, ’cause i-it’s just wind. It’s wind. It blows all over the place! What the f$%#!

13. JP says:

i agree with Shockly

14. Mary says:

Okay, I live in Fayette County and it is not even on your warnings, the University I work at is in Washington County and they are getting hammered as well. You have us down as light snow and over cast. I want your job.

15. Duane Rankin says:

I love the commercials stating how accuate they’re weather forcast are. I just watched the news last night and i don;t recall hearing about this on Monday. I thought it was supposed to start on tuesday am? How much did those weather radar systems cost those networks. I hope they kept the reciepts.

16. redrock100 says:

will be more than 4 or 5

17. mimi says:

let it snow! let it snow! let it snow! And for cryin out loud people get over it!

1. Ann says:

I agree. Get over it. Everytime it snows in PGH, people have to complain; it’s too cold, stop snowing , I wish summer was here. Then summer comes and once again the great citizens of PGH complain it’s too hot. If you can’t drive in snow either learn, get off the road or move somewhere that doesn’t get snow. My goodness people it’s winter in PGH. Deal with it

2. Dave says:

No one (or very few) is complaining about _the weather_. We’re commenting on the idiocy of the weather reporters who say “1-2 inches” when there is already twice that outside and it’s STILL snowing. So get over yourself!

18. SysAdmin says:

Mt. Lebanon is beyond 5″… What happens now? Does the counter default back to ZERO?

19. Jim says:

As I’ve said here before; Tomorrow, either Jeff or Dennis will come on the air after 12-15 inches of snow has fallen and boldly say “As we predicted” even though as late as last night they were “predicting 1-2 inches”. (not even a “nuisance” snow in their estimation!)

20. Matt says:

Weather Forcasters are the only people who can always be wrong and still keep their job. First the storm wouldn’t get here until 6pm and continue to 10am. Actually it started at 2pm, the roads were covered and accidents were everywhere by 3pm. Second starting totals were 1-3″ , now 3-5″ but its 9pm and I have 6″ and 9 hours to go. If 10am is correct!

21. bobalert says:

at least 6 inches here in Hopewell and still falling… time to update the warning kdka.

22. Tyffani O'Shannon says:

I love the bread and pay through your teeth for it.. TRUTH.. aND WHERE DID THIS COME FROM..

23. whiskey6 says:

still snowing west of cleveland. 4 more hrs to go

24. Justin Gilles says:

We have 6 inches in crafton as of 845 and its still coming down hard. what happen to the 1-3? I want just once for a weather man to get on the air and be like yep wow we blew that call didnt we!

gilles81@msn.com

25. Mike says:

Where is PennDot? Roads are a nightmare. Of course there is Pittsburgh, nothing will be done till Fri.

26. redrock100 says:

Pendot not to blame on this one. Hopefully no power outages like last year.

27. whiskey6 says:

Estimated end of snowfall 1am.

28. Harry says:

I have seen two state salt trucks just riding around It would have been nice if they would have dropped the plow and salted. dumb and dumber

29. Yellow 1 says:

Harry. You do not salt in heavy snow. Chill. T. Phelps. PA Turnpike Maint.

30. Matt says:

This city’s lack of preparation absolutely sucks. The streets near where I live are so horrendous that I had to call of of work for the first time in a year! Not a street has been touched. I am utterly fed up and exhausted by how awful of a job PennDot does when dealing with inclimate weather. I need to get out of here! Thanks for losing me a sick day PennDot!

31. Yellow 1 says:

PennDot does not maintain city streets.We were planning on 3-5 inches as per weather services.

32. Bob Prince says:

These guys never fail to tell everyone when they got a forecast right. Just once I want to hear them admit when they got it dead wrong.

33. kilo6 says:

End of system now 50 miles west of Cleveland

34. skier says:

6 inches in wheeling. Also there was some thunder and lightning which is kinda unusual.

35. yellow 1 says:

Due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Pittsburgh International Airport, Pittsburgh, PA (PIT).

36. skier says:

No we had thunder and lightning. It only lasted about 10 minutes. Wheeling is about 60 miles from Pittsburgh.

37. Shockly says:

Does he wear his fancy ties when he shops?

38. Mary Lou says:

I cannot believe that with all the modern technology available NOT ONE of the 3 TV station weather people saw this one coming. My daughter was stuck on the Parkway from Monroeville then again on 279 before she could get on the Evergreen exit where 2 cats ahead of her were stuck and sliding sideways. Good Samaritans were trying to help push these cars but had to deal mainly with ICE. NO PLOWS OR SALT TRUCKS to be found!!! Had she known this was going to be so bad she would have never ventured out! McKnight was closed from 279 to Nelson Run Road too! What a mess and a darn shame.

39. Kris says:

We are in Ford City and we have 6.5 inches of snow….

40. Reese says:

Just measured the snow on my deck here in Allison Park. 7″ at 10:30pm. And it’s still coming down. Hardly the 1-3 that Dennis Bowman was predicting at 2 this afternoon.

41. scott says:

some of you take your weather predicting way to seriously. Although I do dream that my son will one day be a meterologist!

42. Bobby says:

Keep watching. KDKA is brought to you by Giant Eagle. Make sure to stalk up on milk, bread, and toilet paper, so we can rape you and your wallet.
    =)

1. Angel Lewis says:

This is really great Bobby. I need to steal this one.

43. Mike says:

Penn Township Butler has 8 Inches of snow on the ground and it’s still coming down.

44. Shawn says:

It would have been nice to know it was going to take 3 hours to go 30 miles BEFORE getting on 79. Never seen so many cars and tractor trailers stuck. How is not plowing until there are more than 5 inches on the ground considered preparing for 3-5 inches? Penn DOT does cover I-79 right?

1. Ann says:

Not when people think they should venture out when it’s snowing. Stay off the roads unless you are emergency personnel. Yes even with 1-3″ so PennDot can actually do their job and not have to dodge stupid drivers

1. Shawn says:

Your right, I should have just slept in my office because in 16 years I should have been able to predict how bad the road was going to be BEFORE getting on it. It has now become my need to learn when to stay off the road because Penn DOT doesn’t know when it needs plowed. I assume you realize all of the tractor trailer drivers drive for a living and likely are not stupid, just caught unprepared by assuming they wouldn’t have to wade through 6 inches of snow on the road.

45. eddie says:

penn hills with 9 inches and still coming down,,,,,,,,,,,,,boy did they miss this one,,,its funny i seen all the models the mets use on sunday and all of them had pittsburgh between 8-14 inches of snow,,,,,they always under estimate the models that are there to guide their forcast….we will hit 10 or 11 when all is said and done in the next hour or 3 ,,,,,,,,it will all melt by wendsaday with 45 temp and sunny skys…drive safe people and enjoy the white stuff cause spring is upon us…

1. Angel Lewis says:

Ha, at 1am we had 7.5 inches and still coming down in Lincoln Place just by West Mifflin. I love it how they say all of Pgh got so and so amounts of snow my butt.

I live right on that snow belt from the South weather, north weather and the west weather. How about last year they say Pgh got hit with 20.6 inches of snow. Pfffthhh in my town of Lincoln Place we had total of 4.5 feet of snow when it was all over.

46. Mark says:

Am I the only one who looks at that radar and does not see how the snow will be stopping in the next hour?

47. Ryan says:

It doesn’t have to snow for that to happen.

48. Roz says:

Penn Dot should be fired. Went to the Pens game and not one salt truck could be found on 28 going to and from the game. The only salt truck the could be found was our local twp plowing the roads. Shame on you Penn dot for 6 weeks.

49. Ty says:

It’s February. Winter Season. There is bound to be snow. Geez!!!
    However, Didn’t see one salt/plow truck on my 2 hour commute home. Luckily, I was wearing Dr. Scholl’s Gel Pads.

1. Angel Lewis says:

We work at Foster Plaza in Greentree, not a single salt truck until 8pm. They roads were treacherous out there. We almost had to park our car on Rt885 as well as Carson Street, Thank God we made it home.

50. Angel Lewis says:

That is why I follow WeatherBug straight out not from any news channel or weather channel. Also it is free, you can have it right on your desk top and smart phones.🙂 What I hated the most is they say 1-2 inches for a whole day, look out and we got way over that amount and then changes to 2-4 inches then in one hour changed to 6-9 inches. Gotta love that. Ugh I cannot wait to move down south.

51. Greg says:

A typical 30-40 minute commute from Robinson to Mars took 2 1/2 hours. Did not see one state truck clearing the roads.

It isnt about going after the groundhog…PennDOT should have been out quicker

52. huh says:

Let’s be honest here. When you start the newscast with the weather then you have NO news. Ditto the abused animal stories every few days.

Comments are closed.