Winter is a great time to stay inside and stay warm with soups and stews. Be sure to try out this recipe from the Giant Eagle Market District for Moroccan Chicken Stew when you get your next craving!
Moroccan Chicken Stew
Makes: 4 pounds
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 ½ hours
3 lbs Chicken Thighs, Boneless, skinless
½ cup Slivered Almonds
16 oz Chickpeas, Canned, Drained
2 each Medium Yellow Onion, Thinly Sliced
2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
5 cups Chicken Broth
2 oz Butter
¼ cup Canola Oil
1 tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
¼ cup Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Fresh Ginger, minced
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Turmeric
Tbls Black Pepper
Tbls Kosher Salt
1. In a large heavy bottomed pot heat butter and oil over medium high heat.
2. Rub chicken thighs with cinnamon, tumeric, salt and pepper then carefully add to pot.
3. Sear first side of chicken until golden brown (about 3 minutes) turn and sear other side.
4. Add garlic, ginger, almonds and onions to the pot and stir occasionally until onions are softened (about 6 minutes).
5. Pour in lemon juice, chicken stock and chick peas and stir to loosen any “fond” that has stuck to the bottom of the pan.
6. Cover pot and either reduce heat to low on stovetop or place in a 300° oven.
7. Simmer for 1-1½ hours or until chicken is tender and falls apart.
8. To finish add parsley, serve over rice or cous cous.