Snow Continues To Fall As Flooding Concerns Persist
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A Winter Storm Warning and a Flood Warning remain in effect all across the area today, causing issues for commuters as well as residents in low-lying areas.
The rain changed over to a wet snow late Thursday night, leaving behind a new blanket of white in some parts of the area.
The majority of main roads across the area were clear for the morning commute, but there were slick conditions on some secondary streets.
Several school districts, including many in Butler, Mercer and Lawrence counties, delayed the start of the day due to the snow.
The City of Pittsburgh issued a “Phase 2 Snow Alert” in anticipation of the storm. They have large trucks focusing on the primary roads, and smaller trucks are hitting the secondary streets.
Also, PennDOT crews got out on area roadways around 1 a.m. and are working continuously to keep them clear as the snow falls.
Meanwhile, local waters are continuing to rise. Many people living in flood-prone areas like Etna spent Thursday evening preparing for high water.
The Mon Wharf remains closed downtown, and the 10th Street Bypass was forced to shut down Thursday night. It is now underwater too.
Also, the Parkway East/Central or “bathtub” area is closing as it is expected to take on water. PennDOT officials say they are posting signs to detour traffic for a full westbound closure.
Officials with PennDOT say several state routes have been closed because of flooding, downed trees and utility lines. Drivers are asked to expect delays and find alternate routes.
- State Route 2023 or Port Vue-Harrison Hollow Road in Lincoln. Closure starts at Lovedale Road and ends at West Smithfield Street
- State Route 1015 or Hartzell School Road in Marion/Franklin. Closure starts at Route 588 and ends at Fombell Road
- State Route 1006 or Mercer Road in Franklin. Closure starts at Route 65 and ends at Route 288
- State Route 4012 or Brady’s Run/Groscost Road in Brighton. Closure starts at Anchortown Road and ends at Park Road
- State Route 2013 or Mt. Herman Church Road in Slippery Rock. Closure starts at Frew Mill Road and ends at Route 422