What A Job By Pirates Bullpen
Buy Pirates Tickets
PITTSBURGH (KDKA)- Most Pirate fans are crediting the Pirates lineup as the reason for the early season success but it’s been the pitching that’s earned them five wins.
How about 13 consecutive scoreless innings? That’s what the Pirates pitching staff accomplished last night.
Starter Ross Ohlendorf allowed a 2-out, 3-run HR in the first inning and then the powerful Rockies lineup was shutout.
Ohlendorf was forced to leave the game in the third inning because of soreness in his pitching shoulder but the bullpen was perfect.
Jeff Karstens (3.1 IP), Mike Crotta (1 IP), Jose Veras (1 IP), Joel Hanrahan (1 IP), Chris Resop (3 IP) and Garrett Olson combined to blank the Rockies. Manager Clint Hurdle ran out of relief pitchers because Evan Meek wasn’t available because of tightness in his shoulder.
Here were some key moments in the game where the bullpen closed the door on Rockies scoring chances:
- 5th inning: (Karstens) 2 on, 1 out, K’s Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki
- 6th inning: (Karstens) man on 2nd, 2 out, K’s Chris Iannetta
- 10th inning: (Resop) after allowing a leadoff double, 3 on, 2 out, Ty Wigginton grounds out to third
- 11th inning: (Resop) 1st and 3rd, 2 out, Jonathan Herrera grounds out to second
- 14th inning: (Olson) First two batters reached on Pirate errors, but, Olson got Todd Helton to ground out with 2 on and 2 out