Drivers Cope With Higher Gas Prices

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — It’s hard not to feel the pain at the pump – especially since most gas stations have raised the price by at dime in just a week.

The average price for a gallon of regular unleaded gas in the Pittsburgh metro area is $3.74. Prices could reach $4 a gallon later this spring or early summer.

Over the past three weeks, gas prices have jumped over 19 cents.

“I think it’s utterly ridiculous,” Mario Perry, of Baldwin, said. “How can people afford to drive around because we need to commute to get around.”

The all-time high is $4.11 in July of 2008.

Drivers are dealing with sticker shock.

“Normally I would put $30 in it and it would last me forever,” Dania Henderson said. “Now, I’ll be lucky if it lasts me to go get some Chinese and back.”

Other drivers are dealing with it.

“It affects your life and you have not control over it,” one driver said.

Two years ago in this quarter, the national average for a gallon was $1.85.

RELATED LINKS
More Consumer News
More Reports By Kym Gable
AAA Fuel Gauge Report

Comments

1. Jack says:

I’ve cut back spending everywhere to make up for high gas prices.

Got rid of premium cable channels
    Got rid of my personal cell phone
    Eating out much less
    When shopping, buying what I need

Bottom line is that it’s not a big deal, unless you’re a business relying on customers like me.

1. Joe says:

This has nothing to with the Presidents or Middle East. This is Speculators making money with an excuse about middle east. There is pleanty of supply. This is another way Wall street and Big Banks sticking the average American in the butt. stop buying or cut back significantly on gas and the prices will drop.

2. tocchet says:

blame it all on george bush. obama is the worst president ever

3. David says:

Bush? Obama? Get real Tocchet. How about the friggin towel heads and the ali babas? Yeah the oil companies arent helping matter none, but the root of the problem lies over in “blow myself up and I get 13 virgins” land…..

4. tocchet says:

when bush was president they blamed it on him. so lets blame it on obama ok

5. Jack Best says:

Still a lot of unnessary driving going on. Look at high school parking lots and shopping centers. We have to drive less and let them eat gasoline, won;t taste like corn and wheat

6. WHEN says:

HIGH GAS PRICES UNDER THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION NO IT CAN’T BE.
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS BUSH’S FAULT .
    FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS I’VE BEEN HEARING ABOUT ALTERNATIVE ENERGY
    AND I STILL SEE NO RESULTS.
    IF THE SUBJECT OF OFF SHORE DRILLING IS DISCUSSED IT’S REJECTED BY THE ENVIRONMENTAL IDIOTS WHO’S ONLY CONCERN IS TO GET TAX MONEY AND DO NOTHING REMEMBER 30 PLUS YEARS NOW !

7. Shawn says:

Obama has nothing to do with gas prices its actually simple stop driving and prices will hav to fall Americans are just dummys; govt needs to make incentives on persuading ppl to by alternitive energy cars publuc transit stop being lazy you dont hav to drive everywhere move bac into the city where you dont have such a long commute; the only people complaining about gas prices are the people who cant afford to drive long diatances so dont live ao far from your jobs!

1. Luke R says:

Those were the people that wanted to save on taxes to they moved out of town, oh well.

8. Rj says:

I remember in 08 when Bush was president. There was a news article EVERY WEEK about rising gas. This is the first once Ive seen since gas hit over $3 a gallon.
    Funny how media can control hype.

9. MG says:

Totally changed my spending habits. Any spending on anything not a necessity is gone. Eating at home, bringing lunch, and using coupons when we shop. The gift of choice now is visa or American express cards because you can use them for everything.

10. SC says:

$450 million in lobbying since 2008. $238.7 million to candidates and parties since the 1990 election cycle, 75 percent Republican.

That’s a lot of influence. Wonder what the media gets to ignore price gouging?

Ref: http://www.opensecrets.org

11. redrock100 says:

$1.80 a gallon when Bush left office.

12. critter says:

Democrats war chant. ” TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX”

Comments are closed.