A New Hunting Season – For Porcupines?!

PITTSBURGH (NEWSRADIO 1020 KDKA) — When you think of porcupines, you usually don’t think cute and cuddly. There’s no enduring cartoon porcupine character. No one is rushing to film “March of the Porcupines.” Little kids aren’t clamoring for a pet porcupine under their Christmas tree.

But could you imagine hunting a porcupine, having your kill stuffed for a trophy, or craving it’s gamey meat?

Thanks to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, you can now legally hunt porcupines in their new hunting season.

KDKA AM’s Larry and John talk to Gary Fujak, local game commissioner, on why porcupines are now allowed to be hunted, and the surprising reasons for why anyone would want to be rid of the unassuming porcupine.

RELATED LINKS:
Pennsylvania Game Commission
More Local News

More from Larry Richert
Comments

1. hwright says:

Larry and john maybe you should get out into the woods and do a little hunting. Fast food joints really are not your only supplies of food! Imagine if you lived in japan right now where would you be eating? Its something people should be getting back to the basics of life, hunting, fishing and gardening. Really its better for you. That little segment of you newsradio was a joke.

2. B. says:

I am in Indiana County, just about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. On my road alone we have 4 dead porcupines today. They are out here in droves and have been for a few years. This is great news for us, we are a hunting family, and we can finally start trimming back the “herd”.

3. John W Estes says:

I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PORCUPINES AS LONG AS YOU EAT WHAT YOU KILL. THEY ARE NOT THAT BAD, LIKE ANY OTHER WILD GAME MEAT IT’S HOW YOU COOK THEM THAT’S IMPORTANT. NO DIFFERENT THAN RABBIT OR SQUIRREL. ONE SHOT HEAD KILL NO PAIN AND GOOD MEAT LEFT FOR DINNER.

1. Jim says:

you might want to take your CAPSLK key off.

2. Cleetus says:

Them porkey pines are good vittles. Can’t wait to toss some in a pot for another batch of forest stew!

4. Wayne S says:

Nice I’d like to add one to my collection

5. otis says:

I think this is a great idean we have a hunting camp and they chew the wood around the building my dog had attacked a few in his day and had to have surgery.

6. Richard says:

Growing up I remember being told that you shouldn’t kill a porcupine because they are slow and easy to catch/kill so anyone lost in the woods would have them as a source of food. I also had a dog that had a special knack of finding them. I remember two different times my Mom and I would hold the dog while Dad pulled/pushed the quills out of her mouth/tounge. Poor little girl! The quills are barbed and the expansion/contraction of muscles would pull the quills in deeper so you had to make sure to get the whole quill out.

Comments are closed.