NRA Convention Comes To Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The National Rifle Association’s 140th annual meeting opens today in downtown Pittsburgh at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.

In the world of firearms and shooting sports, it is the biggest thing around and this weekend is the biggest show in Pittsburgh.

The convention is expected to draw thousands of people and generate more than $23 million for the local economy.

“We are expecting more than 70,000 people here this weekend,” said Rachel Parsons, the NRA spokesperson. “We are very excited to bring people to Pittsburgh. Hotels are filled up 20 miles outside the city.”

The National Rifle Association is holding its national convention for a second time in the city of Pittsburgh and they say it is for a very good reason.

“In a four-hour driving radius, there are more than one million NRA members,” said Parsons.

More than 400 exhibitors are in town for the event. Visitors can find some pretty interesting things there including pistols, parts of pistols and rifles.

“But it’s not just guns; you can come in and see sporting goods, accessories,” Parsons added. “If you want a new purse, if you want a new vest or a range bag, we have that for you too.”

There are also some specially-made firearms. For instance, there are pistols dedicated to the men and woman who have served our country in times of war.

“It covers everything from World War I to current in Iraq,” said Steve Faler, of American Legacy Firearms. “We actually had these pistols being used in Iraq with special ops.”

But as much as it is all about rifles and pistols, it’s about politics too.

“We’re going to have folks like Mike Huckabee, Oliver North, Ken Blackwell; Jason Altmire is going to be here,” said Parsons. “Pat Toomey will be here to speak.”

In addition, comedian Jeff Foxworthy and musician Ted Nugent will appear at the convention.

The convention begins tonight and runs through Sunday, May 1.

National Rifle Association
David L. Lawrence Convention Center
More Local News

1. BravoFoxtrot says:

Nice to see the NRA back in Pittsburgh again! I went back in ’04, planning to stop by again this year if I can make it!

2. Thomas J Duttine says:

Do they sell handguns at the convention??

3. LOL says:

Is that James Earl Ray in the photo?

4. boli says:

They do not sell firearms at the show.

5. Eric M says:

I went to the last show and the displays were amazing!

6. Paul says:

I’m glad I got out of the NRA many years ago. The letters they sent me were enough to get me to quit. The propaganda was too much… A bunch of nuts! I still hunt and raise game birds as a hobby… just don’t need the NRA. All they do is spread fear and other baloney.

1. Matt says:

Your loss Paul. The NRA is the only advocacy that is in your corner when it comes to protecting your 2nd Amendment rights.

2. Richard says:

Paul, my wife and I are both members of the NRA, have been for years. So I guess we’re a couple of the ‘nuts’ you’re referring to. I’m glad there’s a lobbying group as large and powerful as the NRA watching over our 2nd amendment rights. Like any organization, I don’t blindly follow or believe everything that is put forth but there is some good information within the ‘propaganda’ as you put it.

7. Thomas J Duttine says:

I find it very disturbing that KDKA reports on trivial news stories(not saying that the NRA convention is trivial) and ignores a story about 5 police being injured in Allentown, just because it is about blacks….RACIST…but we have front page about a supermarket opening in the Hill…..RACIST…The word works both ways!!!!! Perhaps the people of Pittsburgh should stop watching a news station that reports only what is PC..and RACIST!

1. Bob says:

I find it very disturbing that the people that have the hardest time letting go of racism are the racists, i.e., those that find convoluted ways to apply racial, religious, gender, sexual orientation, age, or any other differences to every single situation. Those of us that are not racists don’t spend so much time and energy looking for these “spins,” whose only purpose or effect is to perpetuate the rifts between the parties.

8. Jake says:

Attention cigar loving NRA members: the Leaf and Bean in the Strip District carries a wide variety of Rocky Patel Cigars. If you didn’t know, Rocky is a huge proponent not only of cigar rights, but also cigar rights. The Leaf and Bean even stocks a cigar called the Valedor, which has the NRA logo right on it! Check it out while you’re in town. The address is 2200 Penn Avenue.

9. Craigk says:

My thoughts are.. I really don’t they should be selling guns. i mean come on theres already enough shootings around here. Everyone wants to keep a gun on them so there safe and have self defence.. theres going to be even more killing!

Comments are closed.