Giant Eagle Market District Chef John Gruver stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live to show off a great recipe for Roasted Poblano, Tomatillo and Pork Posole that you can try out in your own home today!
Roasted Poblano, Tomatillo and Pork Posole
Pork Shoulder Roast 2 pounds
Garnish Suggestions : Sour cream, cilantro, queso blanco, diced tomatoes, diced tomatillo, pico d gallo, fresh line wedge
Onion Diced 2 cups
Garlic 1 (14 oz) can
Tomatillo 2 cups
Poblano Pepper, roasted 2 each
Hominy 2 (14 oz) cans
Oregano – dried 1 TBLS
Chili Powder 1 TBLS
Water 7 cups
Black Pepper to taste
Kosher/Sea Salt to taste
1. Place a cast iron or heavy bottomed pan over medium heat on the stove.
2. Add 2 Tbls of oil to the pan and place just enough of the pork to cover the bottom and cook until browned about 5 minutes.
3. Remove pork from the pan and repeat until all pork is browned.
4. Add onion and garlic then cook until translucent about 6 minutes.
5. Return pork pan and add water to cover pork, bring to a simmer.
6. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook for 2 hours then add all remaining ingredients.
7. Simmer and additional 45 minutes, then pull pork into bite size shreds and season with salt and pepper.
8. Enjoy with your favorite garnish.