Mendenhall’s Tweets Stir Up Controversy

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is in the middle of a new Twitter controversy.

A few months ago, he raised eyebrows when he agreed with Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings, who said players are “slaves” to NFL owners.

On Monday, Mendenhall sent out a series of controversial tweets about the death of Osama bin Laden.

“What kind of person celebrates death? It’s amazing how people hate a man they never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side.”

Another said, “I’m not convinced he was even behind the attacks. We have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the government telling us.”

In response to a question from a follower on Twitter Mendenhall said, “We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take down a skyscraper demolition style.”

The final one said, “I believe in God. I believe we are all his children. And I believe he is the one and only judge. Those who judge others will also be judged themselves.”

On Tuesday, Steelers President Art Rooney II issued a statement regarding the tweets.

“I have not spoken with Rashard so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments. The entire Steelers’ organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon.”

More Steelers News
More Sports News
More Local News
Rashard Mendenhall On Twitter

1. Jim says:

If it wasn’t for football he’d be flipping burgers. Why would anyone place value on his opinion? He’s a football player, not a Rhodes scholar.

1. Don says:

I agree with you Jim however he has a right to his own opinion no matter how idiotic they are. He(Mendenhall) can thank a veteran for that. These comments just shows his level of intelligence.
      Mendenhall..stick to football, instead of wasting so much time on Twitter try practicing holding the football.

1. tom says:

……….tell it like it is…i applaud rm for this comment that “stands alone”…you(as will i) will not be led to slaughter with the many , many “lambs” that follow the hollow words of a corrupt world of politics…god bless you rashard!

2. Ymmit Grundy says:

Yea, Tom, pure genius speculating the towers came down on a “government conspiracy” Pull your head out.

2. tom says:

….that is the trouble with america…flip burgers & starve or take a chance…this young man took a chance & i commend him!…one can only learn what is taught…not too many are teaching the FACTS of the last 50 years…after looking at these comments…ignorance abounds!

1. wayne says:

I see you are also an intellectual giant, move over so RM has room in front of the grill. Hell he majored in fumbling……

2. JC says:

stop eating paint chips Tom….your brain is turning into mush. I really like his comments that parallel slavery and the NFL. I say pay him like a slave instead of the “star” he thinks he is. Then let’s watch him tell it like it is. He certainly has every right to speak his mind, but it’s too bad he was so eager to show us how empty his mind is.

3. wood says:

what chance did he take tom. he has god given talent. thats not taking a chance…..taking a chance is when you are willing to put your life on the line for people like him so they can run there mouth , without being stoned to death like someother cultures around the world. this brain dead fool should shoot his mouth off in a coutry where you cant even read the wrong things let alone say them. mendenhall should not bit the hand that feeds hi, and yes……. america feeds him……….. mendenhall, you are proof that the saying ” the emptiest barrell makes ther most noise” is true

4. Ymmit Grundy says:

You’re an idiot. Obviously a burger flipper that smokes crack on the job. You think you’re so high and mighty because you believe your faith is so wonderful. What have YOU done to help your fellow man? Other than cram your beliefs down others throats? I bet you sit on your ASS eating burgers.

5. Aaron says:

You are a moron.

3. BigSHow says:

I guess its the governments fault when he fumbles too!!! Your a bum get out of town. Go play with Ochocinco. Your terrible ! One name you should remember Pat TIllman!!!

1. gov's fault says:

yeah, BIG SH(it)ow, exactly right..mendenhall is JUST like pat tillman…. killed from friendly gunfire.

2. wood says:

did anyone read the latest………. he deleted some of his tweets. maybe if he shuts his eyes we will all forget about it . nice try you putz. i cant wait until the first game so i can hear those boos . i hope people ride him as bad as they did brister in the late 80s

3. Randy says:

Do you know that there is evidence that pat tillman was murdered by his own government? YOU PEOPLE ARE SHEEP, DONT WHINE WHEN WHEN THEY LEAD YOU OFF A CLIFF.

4. Sean says:

are all of you idiots really complaining about a football player and his comments with all that is wrong in this world? I am Steeler born and Steeler bred and when I die I will be Steeler dead however in my opinion the only ones who have any right to speak about Bin Laden and the war are the victims of 9/11’s families and my fellow veterans. If you do not belong to one of these groups then close your mouths and quit taking up my precious oxygen. Freedom of speech be damned. I have seen too many brothers and sisters fall to give a rats ass about your freedom of speech when none of you are barely even educated enough to form more than one syllable words.

1. Renee L. Hayes says:

I am an educated woman and my belief is that everyone has the right to speak what they believe. My education allows me to read the thoughts of others, respect their beliefs, then continue to believe what I feel is correct. Because someone doesn’t believe what I believe DOES NOT make them an idiot. Educated people can listen to others respectfully without judgement. Unfortunately Sean, you sound extremely judgemental and you may wish to remember that each and every person in this country is entitled to their opinion. I don’t agree with RM, but as a tax payer and citizen of the U.S., he DOES have a right to believe in whatever he chooses to believe. Sean, if you were so educated yourself, you too would understand that every citizen has a right to voice their opinion. It is rude to suggest that uneducated people shouldn’t have the freedom that our constitution has allowed each of us! It is also rude to suggest that uneducated people are stupid! You are showing just how arrogant you are and I feel sorry for you… Some of the smartest people I know have not had the EDU that I have obtained and I listen to everyone,, then make my own decisions based upon my own beliefs. Be kind my friend… that is truely what makes a person appear intelligent!!

5. Jim says:

hope the Steelers get rid of him ………….. never thought he was the answer to the running game……………..

1. vicfromvolta says:

No kidding. How much will the owners and fans swallow from a thoroughly mediocre back in Rashard Mendenhall, Ph.D. Dr. Mendenhall? Good luck with that ‘adoration’ for you heard coming from the stands and good luck after the peak season of your career.

6. Kurtis Runyon says:

The funny thing is Jim your probably flipping the burgers instead… And who says he is wrong? Do you have proof he did it and the government has nothing to do with it?

2. wood says:

I am not suprised by his comment in anyway. That is what happens when a spoiled brat like him gets a idea in his head. he is a disgrace to the steelers,pittsburgh, and most of all the 3000+ people who died on 9/11. do your self a favor and read a book and get a clue. you wonder why they call you all dumb jocks. And by the way………….. you are not that good

1. Sandra says:

I don’t believe we have a right to decide who lives and who dies ~ you all need to watch Loose Change (you can rent it or watch it on you tube) I totally agree with Mendenhall and whatever happened to freedom of speech. Just because someone says something that you do not agree with does not make it wrong. Who are any of you to condemn Mendenhall anyway? I know you are all so perfect. Do you really think a plane could take down a huge building like that ~ think about it!! Even though Bin Laden was an evil man, who are we to murder anyone ~ we are no better than the terrorists if we are judge and executioner.

1. wood says:

sandra, first and formost, nothing makes me more proud as a vet then when someone speaks out. that is what thousands of young men and women are dying for. the issue here is that a football player, that apparently does not know the first thing about democracy nor does he care about it, chimed it on a subject that is very touchy subject for alot of people. His backward comments are the issue. BIN LADEN WAS A EVIL MAN AND THE TRUE FACE OF WHAT IS WRONG IN THIS WORLD. All this man had to do was look at any world report about this animal . He has killed thousands of people all over this world and he did it in the name of islam. that is not opinion, that is fact…..Mendenhall should relize that life is more then in between a 100yd field.

2. Ryan says:

Loose change has been debunked many times. Not trying to tell you what opinion to have but do some research. There are tons of blatant errors and lies in a lot of those conspiracy videos. They just prey on people looking for something controversial.

3. freethinker says:

freedom of speech only means you are not going to jail….

3. ryan says:

AMEN…He is a disgrace to the steelers,pittsburgh, and most of all the 3000+ people who died on 9/11. All my stuff of his will be in the trash…Art Rooney II, please find a reason to fire this dumb a$$!!

1. Loves Crosby says:

AMEN RYAN…

4. ryan says:

Just in case the did hear me Mr. Art,

1. idiot says:

…the trash is where you should have left your comments…the disgrace of 9/11 lies at the foot of W’s steps.

5. Send him packing! says:

Jim and Wood – I could not agree more. He is entitled to his opinion, but so am I – he is a disgrace and I never liked him much either. Send him to Cleveland!!

6. Joe says:

TRADE for new waterboy

7. Typical.. says:

Typical attitude by a fellow minority…an ignorant minority to boot. Had he been educated on the facts, or at all for that matter, he would have no justification for that kind of statement. This is what happens when sub-standard people are put in a position to voice an opinion. He should count his blessings every night that the U.S.A allows him to play a game for a living…not bite the hand that feeds him.

1. Tim says:

That’s the wonderful thing about the U.S.A., everyone is able to voice his or her own opinion. It’s called freedom of speech and it’s included in this thing called the U.S. Constitution. You seem to be the one showing your ignorance (typical) by making this statement…

1. Bye Bye 34 says:

So when someone says something we don’t like, we are not allowed to voice our opinion – but when we say something YOU don’t like, then it is ok for you to voice your opinion??? Get a clue.

2. Tim's IQ must be 80 says:

Tim, morons like you make me laugh when you quote the right to free speech based on the US Constitution. The 1ST Amendment only protects you from being jailed by the government for speech. It does not protect you from criticism! IS it really that hard? Really? I mean how stupid are you? Wow.

2. Loves Crosby says:

Agree totally..

8. Tim says:

Why the controversy? Isn’t everyone entitled to their own opinion?? If it was your neighbor tweeting this, no one would care. Why should we get so upset over Rashard’s tweets? He hasn’t made any derogatory statements regarding race, religion, sex or anything else so if you don’t agree with his views, don’t listen to (or read) them. It’s that simple.

1. Joe says:

why don’t you and he move to the middle east and voice your opinion there

2. Send him packing!! says:

Then I guess you should not read our opinions since you don’t agree. It is that simple.

3. Typical.. says:

Tim..the fact is he is not out neighbor. He wears a Steelers jersey, and by doing so he not only brings negative attention to himself but the Steelers organization.

4. Im right, tims wrong says:

actually tim, if you scroll down on his twitter he makes some comments about “girls going down on guys and doing the nasty” so maybe you should do a little more research before making comments. woooooooooo

9. pghfan33 says:

He’s not exactly Mr. Popularity in most parts of the country Saw him at the mall and thought it was Carlton banks. His tweet has the potential to reach practically HUNDREDS of people…..loser. I hate sequals, and that includes Mendenhall v.1.2, but back then we just referred to it as the Greg Hawthorne experiment.

10. david says:

I am a firm believer in PEACE through Diplomacy and by actions …

Rashard -first and foremost – owes a huge apology to the contingent of SEALS who accomplished the mission and their brethern & families for all the sacrifices they make while fighting wars to protect us all and to libertate our freedom – albeit by force to bring justice and peace universally. He must also apologize to our President, the survivors of the 911 attacks and their families, the Steelers Organization, and their fans and to his parents, and to GOD for having been so DUMB to tweet the comments in the 1st place! We all should burn Mendenhall jersey – it’s not a sin to burn a jersey… certainly not a sin to not purchase his jersey.

Rashard – Please apologize for your idiotic statements. We know you’re human. We all make mistakes. I am a Christian – I’ve never read the Koran but don’t hold to the fact some religious zealots and radicals want to erradicate the infidels who aren’t of their belief – that seems wrong to me more so than anything Rashard said.

Rashard – Apologise when you get around to it! Hopefully before I light this match!

11. nellybly says:

‎”I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
    —Martin Luther King Jr.

1. nellybly says:

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the LORD see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him. Prv 24:17-18
        — GOD

12. BOB says:

Maybe you should take an English class or two before posting.

1. tom says:

…you must be a republican…lol.

13. Loves Crosby says:

Mendenhal have you lost your mind. THis is detremental to your career with the Steeler nation. You will soon learn to never bite the hand that feeds you.. I agree that you should be cut from the team and anyother for that matter. See how you like it to go from making millions to making nothing just because you opened your mouth and out came outlandish comments..

14. rotsky says:

I expect more reasoned political discourse from our running backs. Very disappointed.

15. tom says:

….this bigot has got to get over something that happened a long time ago…the civil war…betcha live south of the mason-dixon…this is why i hate southerners…why don’t you run down to the corner, salut a flag, & vote for another republican!

16. Loves Crosby says:

Well unfortunately because of who he is and who he plays there will be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING done to him but a slap on the hand. Its a travisty that just because you are a football player you can get away with these types of comments, rape and even murder and still be only disciplined. ITs terrible that this is who are children look up to. And then people wonder why our kids grow up to be juvenlie deliquents.. ITS SAD because they see the idols doing it everyday so they think it is ok.

17. susan says:

Free to think, speak, make millions, and be stupid. Its not an eye for an eye…this man was evil and proud of it. 100 virgins are waiting Osama, but they failed to tell you they were virgins for a reason…99 years old and obese.

18. Mark says:

Why do we not see this type of behavior in the NHL or Nascar? Hmm maybe because the athletes arent criminals with the reading level of a 3rd grader.

19. 21BLACKJACK says:

1. Go Pens says:

Moron, he never specifically stated anything directly about the military, but his statements were disrespectful of ALL those who have served in these wars. And all those who lost their lives on 9-11. And it is his right to speak his mind. And it is our right to respond to his lunacy with criticism. He is an idiot for stating that we should listen to the other side of the story. The story is that bin laden killed many Americans and he died for it. As he should have.
      Mendenhall can say whatever he wants, but he better be ready for public responses. As far as I’m concerned, I’m done with the Steelers as long as he is on the team.

20. Inquiring Minds Want to Know says:

Rashard, please tweet your thoughts and opinions to these long standing topics…the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor…the JFK assassination…man landing on the moon…Jimmy Hoffa…the Nixon tapes…and how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? Steeler Nation awaits your insight.

1. Sandra says:

I think it takes 857 licks to get to the center of the Tootisie Pop! Just sayin………

21. Stu says:

You will be BOOED forever! Pack your bag now loser. Yeah he’s allowed his opinion. Too bad it’s of a kindergarten level

1. jasper says:

Play football and tell rm to keep his stupid mouth shut

22. Thompson says:

…..I’m sorry but last time i checked we live in a country that alllows freedom of speech correct? I do not agree with anything he says but it’s his god given right..

1. Skyfire says:

Right: “Congress shall make no law (…) abridging the freedom of speech”.

The rest of us are _also_ exercising that right, in telling him what we think about his comments.

2. Jaime says:

yes, we do live in a country that allows freedom of speech; HOWEVER, when you are in the public eye, you have to watch what you say!

23. Frank says:

What an idiot…when I heard this on the radio this morning I lost alot of respect for him!

24. JakiGefjon says:

First of all, I would like to say that I don’t find Mendenhall’s comments to be that outrageous or controversial, ‘Judge ye not less ye be judged’ is something that Jesus said supposedly. How many of you people criticizing him call yourself Christians? He is a free-thinking man who is exercising his constitutional right to not necessarily accept that which he has been told, and how people seem to think he should feel about something. It is, of course, wrong for anyone to kill innocent civilians or endorse the killing of innocents but you should understand that there are two sides to any story. There is a reason that some people in the middle east hate Americans and it stems from U.S. Imperialistic policy. We have blood on our hands over there and have for quite some time even before the events of 9/11. Osama bin Laden also used to be on our payroll to fight the Russians. Do you think if Jesus was alive today he would be in the street cheering for the death of Osama? He would probably be praying for his soul and a stop to the violence from BOTH SIDES involved.

25. tom says:

…how dare you RM to make a comment a such…freedom of speech in america 2011 is ONLY if you agree with the status quo…anything else is contraband…watch out…or some gov’t agency will be at your door…you just might be a terrorist???

26. Williams says:

If my memory serves me correctly, i believe there are videos of Bin laden admitting to the attacks and being the mastermind behind them. So i guess that means we have heard his side of the story correct?

27. Bigben07 says:

He’s so stupid, not even knowing if Bin Laden was behind 9/11? Does he know that Bin Laden happily admitted he was behind 9/11. I NEVER did like him, NEVER!!!

28. ed says:

Mendenhall needs to learn how to hold onto a football and not make stupid outlandish statements about how this man should not have been killed. Talk about dumb statements!!!

29. Shockly says:

What Mendenhall said was stupid along with the rest of his trivial nonsense he seems to spew on his irrelevant tweet. Yes, to speak your mind is a natural right, but that ‘200 year old piece of paper’ guarentees that no government or organization can deny you that right in this country, the greatest nation to ever exist on this planet.

30. Mahmoud says:

Brother Rashard speaks the truth. All praise to Allah….infidels beware.

1. SEALS says:

Hey Mahmoud,
      I praise the special opts unit that greased that rat-f@#$k and all of those who follow him. One day the world will be rid of you and your likes.

1. Steelergirl917 says:

2. Don says:

31. MacDaddy311 says:

This guy is not even a good running back, he is afraid to run through the line like any highschool player would do. He can only run sideways.

Bye Bye Mendenhal. YOU SUCK anyway. Anyone who wants to bet on how much longer he is steeler, Give me your date. I SAY HE WONT MAKE PRESEASON HE WILL BE TRADED. He is not even a good back my goodness. 20 yards sideways and ends up with a 3 yard loss over and over and over. I never saw a running back afraid to explode through the hole that is made for him, the hole that is created by the play that is being ran, but somehow every play with this lamer is a run all the way to the other side of the field and take a loss.

BYE BYE! I thought they should have got rid of him a long time ago, he should have been benched for his performance!

32. ed says:

Hey Thompson It’s pretty obvious you didn’t lose someone in the attacks? otherwise you wouldn’t be saying about how this is a free country,etc. Mendenhall’s a total idiot and needs to be released, and put on a boat and sent off to Africa with the other “slaves”Wonder how much money he’d make there?

33. Joe Kerr says:

Mendenhall is a 9-11 Truther? Imagine that. Is he good friends with Van Jones?

Geesh, some cement heads should just play football and remain silent.

34. jackie says:

His comments have absolutely nothing to do with The Steeler Nation, any more than your’s refelct on your employer.

35. David says:

I bet he does not even know who bin Laden is. I would be curious to know what he would have said if one of his loved ones were trapped in the WTC. Did he see bin Laden gloat after the attacks? R M. for future reference…the WTC was taken down by termites…I bet you would buy that one.

36. Joe Kerr says:

I just had a vision – 666 #34 Steeler Jerseys in a pile – on fire.

37. Dr. Heffner says:

what a jerk and a disgrace.

38. Bea says:

What am I missing here? All these comments about freedom of speech, and just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean he’s wrong? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!! These statements are irrational and out of touch with reality. He isn’t saying he disagrees, he’s implying that events you people saw with your own eyes didn’t happen. He’s implying an anti-American, distrustful sentiment, that another side of the story justifies murder. These are the kind of statements that get you on watch lists, & that most of you would condemn if it were a Muslim or Arab making them. Becaus he carries a football doesn’t exempt him from being crazy or dangerous.

1. JS says:

Bea, he’s just a dumb football player…he’s probably a little crazy too, but not dangerous. Save your fear and condemnation for issues that are really dangerous to our freedoms, not Rashard Mendenhall’s idiotic tweets.

39. stillerman says:

The tool cannot finish a sentence with out saying “you know what Im sayin” Listen to some of his interviews…. They need to be on youtube… to many hits to the head for this dude…

40. diggity says:

so if i, as a white person, say something like i hate black people (not true in the least, just an example) it’s my freedom of speech and i should be allowed to say it? or will you stand up and tell me how stupid i am being? right… and that’s what we are doing to mendenhall. moron!

41. darryl says:

All I can say to the JERK is that he is a bigger JERK than I thought he was to begin with. When 911 happened he was only a teenage street punk. He needs to be very careful with his ”freedom of speech” Apparently he wasn’t watching the same news that millions of people around the world were watching when those planes deliberately flew into the ”Twin Towers” Hey Mendenhall, listen up you ignorant idiot. that wasn’t trick photography It really did happen. So you can keep your comments to yourself and be very careful with your tongue IDIOT!

42. Private man in the public says:

The only one who stirred up controversy is the media and before they made a THING out of it, there was no controversy. Rooney was only protecting his brand. 911 was an inside job. and in my opinion, I have seen more evidence backed by science, physics and common sense to show that the events did not unfold how, when or the way we were made to believe by the media who in many cases get huge loans if not grants to print the official AP story that comes straight from washington which is where criminal elements of our government reside. I won’t be coming back to this page to see anyone’s reply to my opinion because I already know our great nation has a good mix of them and the right to have them have been protected by me(Veteran) and other military serving, unfortunately the big business rather than the American way of life. Our government runs a muck because we do not hold it accountable. Much law forbids what they do in many cases but nothing new is the fact that the few control the many and if you find DEMOCRACY defined you will see it is not what you think. We are supposed to live on a REPUBLIC with government making decisions that benefit us all, equally and protects us all, equally, the same, because as far as rights go, we all have the same ones from birth and only those you do not know how to protects get infringed upon because you are ignorrant(does not mean dumb or stupid). Privileges are only government sponsored bought and paid for items through contracts, included in the terms. Case in point, welfare, DRIVERS LICENSE, MARRIAGE LICENSE CONCEAL AND CARRY, AND many others. Our biggest enemy is our government and pretty much always has been as bad people do bad things to others for profit. Out.

1. Shockly says:

This has got to be the most inane and banal comment I’ve seen yet.

43. rg says:

As a U.S. soldier native Pittsburgher, that has served in Afghanistan I can NOT believe that you allow one of your players to verbally make remarks about the current events.

I have been a long time Steelers fan and major supporter through out the years, BUT if something is not done against him for his horrible actions and philosophies then I will gladly stop supporting the steelers organization and NFL.

He has out raged me so much for those that have died September 11th and those who have died, PERSONAL friends of mine chasing after Bin laden.

He has back stabbed all Steelers fans that live through out this Nation!!!!!!

44. Michael says:

Rashard just smoked some bad stuff, I hope. Although there are some other knuckleheads on here defending him !

45. meagan says:

Mendenhall…yes you have the freedom to say or Tweet whatever you want, you only have the right because a soldier had to fight for that for you! a soldier had to give his life to ensure you had one, a soldier had to protect your rights so you could backstab them.
    but a soldier does his job and does it well, unlike you, they do what they are told to do and show success. how many do you drop the football when in fact that is your ONLY job…to run with ball and not drop it, you can’t do that. so why do we pay you? you didn’t bring home a Superbowl win this year……why do we pay you?
    you should be thanking the soldiers that gave you your freedom of speech, instead you are acting like a trader, so please leave…leave Pittsburgh AND AMERICA because we don’t need you….don’t need your opinion OR your so-called football talent.

1. Live in Pittsburgh says:

um meagan….can you please leave dignified cultured society? I think you just brought down the whole collective IQ of Pittsburgh by AT LEAST 30 points!! do you know the Rooney’s or something? you said soldiers do their jobs and what they are told to do (which they do). did we all miss the part when Rooney said, “Hey Mendenhall….don’t tweet”. What exactly did he not do… oh hold onto the ball. That’s right. B/c if you were out there you’d never drop a ball or make a mistake. It must be hard to go through life, perfect as you are, looking down at all us useless waifs and peons dragging you down.
      It’s always the ones who have the least amount of athletic ability that say the most. dang girl he’s a football player. not the Second Coming.

1. meagan says:

that fact that you stand up for him, shows a lot. yeah i am girl, glad you could figure that out all on your own, never said i could play football, but i would expect myself to be great at football or ANY job that paid me millions of dollars to do. i’m sorry that you don’t expect anything out of yourself or other but i do and thats not a bad quality.
        sorry you feel the need to protect this guy, this worthless opinion of a man. you may like him and defend, but i won’t. i won’t cheer for him, i won’t wear his jersey and if you think thats so wrong, who cares. i am clearly not the only one who is upset with him…but i guess if you were him, and couldn’t get good press for being a good football player, then why not get bad press so your names stays known.

46. Live in Pittsburgh says:

People shut up!! Dang it’s a comment. I may not like it you may not like it but get over it. Remember, they are PEOPLE not superheros. They have no divine power to let them only say what pleases society. They’re just people doing what they were given the chance to do. Play a sport they love. How many sports figures said things we a society deemed “controversial”? They make human errors because…..they are human. They’re just humans who get paid a heck of a lot more then we do. I really don’t think any of the Steelers were drafted, signed, etc b/c of their public speaking skills or their political views. Last time I checked, that really isn’t much of a skill needed to play the game. Let the man have his opinion. It wasn’t serious enough to destroy the team and bring Heinz Field crashing down under a hail of fire and brimstone. And I really don’t think ESPN is going to be commenting on this even 2 weeks from now. Unless the media keeps it rolling.
    Yes, Pittsburghers are proud of their teams and we expect nothing but the best from them but this is not that deep people!!! Wisdom, knowledge, grace and tact come with age not with money made.

47. twit says:

Gret to see a football players twitter accont has made the news, isn’t it free speech, even for brothers?

1. Go Pens says:

He has the right to free speech no different than any other American. Freedom of speech means that he will not be jailed for making the statement. It does not mean that he is void of any criticism or backlash from the public. Up until a few years ago I was a crazy Steeler fan. But since all of the recent off the field antics I have stopped following these bafoons. And after Mendenhall’s prior “slave” comments and now his current Tweet about Bin Laden has ensured that I will not follow this team or buy any of their paraphernalia until I see a dramatic change in the character of the ownership and players.

48. Pittsburgh_Fan says:

I agree he is entitled to his opinion. But as a society we need to understand where that opinion comes from. It comes from a guy who has had his brain smashed around inside a helmet for many years and his tweets convey that. Anyone who gives creditability to Mendenhall’s comments is just a clueless as he. Remember he’s a football player not a social scientist.

49. Pens Fan says:

Mendenhall’s comments are disgusting and his beliefs are ridiculous. If he is a man of god, I can understand his opinion on the celebrations, but to believe that 9-11 was an inside job is so ridiculous and disrespectful for those who died on that fateful day. Not to mention all those who have died fighting this war in order to stop the fanatics. All those brave Americans who died and those who were injured while protecting this moron’s right to remain free and make stupid statements….he has disrespected all of them.
    Mendenhall is a disgrace to the United States of America and the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers should denounce his statements immediately. If they do not, Steeler fans should bombard the phone lines and boycott the organization.

50. tom says:

….when are we all going to wake up & open our eyes to the FACTS !…looks like you are all still waiting for “trickle down” theory…!the republicans have ruined our country & the people who keep voting them in are still fighting civil rights (civil war)…get over it & help save our country!

1. Bye Tom, Idiot says:

Tom, please return to the fruit loop in Shenley Park and resume your normal daily activities. You are an idiot.

51. truth says:

rashard is more right than wrong here…but who wants to admit to these horrible acts…i don’t want to believe that the highest level of government is corrupt, but after seeing the FACTS, & ONLY the facts, i am in question…there should be a senate investigation…but they have no balls to step forward…rashard definately has 2 of them & i commend him .

52. redrock100 says:

Democtars reward the lazy, stupid.

1. Steelergirl917 says:

2. tom says:

…and republicans reward nobody but the highest 2% of themselves…why does this party still exist?…because the lazy & stupid (of the south) vote for them.

53. STAND UP ! says:

….after reading all of this trash i realize just how naive & ignorant americans really are…i guess we are all so bogged down with daily routine that we belive what we are TOLD to believe…stand up america !’ve fallen for anything!

54. Shockly says:

Didn’t realize there were so many members of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade around these parts, might be a good ides to invest in the Reynolds company.

55. saddened says:

…it saddens me to hear the comments of some soldier families & those who have lost loved ones in the 9/11 tradgedy…i do & would want to know the TRUTHS behind their deaths…it seems when someone w/knowledge of the facts trys to inform, you are insulted by the accusations…WE are on your side, but only want truth, not tall tales & empty explanations from all high….please don’t be enraged/insulted by these actions, as we speak for the rightious & are defending the souls that were murdered & soldiers whose lives were lost in the wake.of this tradgedy…it is not the messenger(soldier) that we are defaming…it is the ones who send them….there IS a BIG difference!

56. Can We read, people? says:

I am a firm believer in TOLERANCE and BASIC READING COMPREHENSION. No where in his tweets quoted above, did he malign, disrespect or discredit the FINE NAVY SEALS on their neutralization of Bin Laden.

What he had issue with was the CELEBRATION by US CIVILIANS-NOT THE WORK OF THE SEALS. It is possible to support and commend the job of the Seals, yet decry the jubilation of the American citizens at Bin Laden’s death.

Further, saying he is not convinced OBL was responsible for 911 doesn’t mean he doesn’t find it reprehensible, horrible and an act worthy of punishment far worse than the merciful ‘double tap’ the Seals gave OBL…It simply suggests he feels that others are/may be responsible and that they too should be hunted down and brought to justice.

Are you going to now ‘rate’ the reaction of those survivors of 9/11 who aren’t jubilant or don’t completely believe OBL was solely responsible?

So cool your jets, and read the words on the page-and only hold him accountable for HIS WORDS-not your misinterpreted motivations for the statements.

57. STEVE says:

I have been reading all your points some good some not so good. but ive come to the conclusion that this mans opinion means absolutly nothing. To let an under educated man such as mendenhall upset you is sad. And by the way TOM YOU ARE JUST AN IDIOT

1. tom says:

..i guess, after 54 years i am an idiot for trying to convice people with an education that books are written by the winners…not the losers.

58. Dave says:

First off born and raised in Pittsburgh. I have seen combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I did this because I believe in our country and the freedoms many of you take for granted here. Rashard’s comments were uneducated to say the least. They were ignorant. I fought for his freedom to say stupid comments and he is free to keep looking like an idiot. I have the right to say that Rashard Mendenall is nothing. He doesn’t risk his life to protect our country. He carries a football making millions playin a kids game. Rashard go to shanksville and grow up. I hope Rocky Blier a true star sets this idiot straight or we just get rid of Rashard Mendenhall!

59. ConstitutionFan says:

Freedom of speech only protects you from the government; his speech will not get him arrested, will not get him fined by the government, but will have to face the court of public opinion. You are allowed to ignore him and take his comments for what they are, HIS comments.

60. joe says:

Every time you cheer for Mendenhall you spit in the face of those who laid down there lives for you. The newscasters and sportscasters of KDKA will cheer tha loudest and set the example. Don’t wait for them to speak out. Even though they failed with Big Ben, I am sure the Rooneys will do the right thing and let him go. America is watching. The absolute worse thing you can do is ignore his comments and I admire those who place the real heroes above football.

61. Tom says:

I am just amazed that a football player was able to manipulate a computer and a keyboard.

62. Building 7 says:

Why don’t you all google “building 7″…..You know,the one that fell down all by itself ? Or don’t you know about that ?…Sure, Bin Laden was a piece of filth but there’s more to it than that

63. Mepet says:

Try holding on to the football! Stop tweeting like a moron, and practice holding on to the football. You obviously have no career after football.

64. Live in Pittsburgh says:

Hey meagan, check this out. I used to be a girl. now i’ve grown into a WOMAN. a wife, mother of 3, and as far as not expecting much out of myself….do you know me??!!! you can’t be serious!!! i’m a RMA, CAP, CPS and currently going to school to become a Forensic Investigator. Wow, i’m glad i don’t see much value in myself. as far as football, unless you know a pro, or even a college, player for that matter don’t ever form your mouth to say what you THINK you could do for $. My husband was a h.s. and college player, he made the list with LaVarr Arrington, so i guess he ain’t half bad. you have no idea what it takes to even play for a second. in fact i know a couple of Passion players. it’s hard work. everyone expects you to be perfect, neglecting the fact that when it’s all said and done you are just a regular person, like everyone else, but you were given the gift of outstanding athletic ability. regardless of how you feel about the man, people keep forgetting…he’s just a man. and if you really read what he tweeted he said he didn’t UNDERSTAND the physics of how the plane crashed and the building blew up the way it did. it’s a scientific question, like they said last night on the Fan – read about demo in the library if you have questions. his question is logical and legit. see, i’m a sports fan. i don’t put all my hopes and dreams into just one player b/c i know the whole team is what wins the game. i really don’t think you not cheering him on, wearing his jersey or anything else will cause the collapse of Western Society. BUT, since we do live in the greatest country in the world, you have been given the right of free speech and you can feel anyway you want about him. so say what you want, do what you want 9just don’t fall too hard off your soapbox). the beauty of this country is the fact that we all have opinions and are able to ask questions without fear of the government (in essence).
    yes, he does need to remember that what he says is put under a microscope but for those of you who think this effects the WHOLE ENTIRE TEAM (and you are out there b/c i heard you last night on the radio) yo9u need to re-examine your statements. they are called the Pittsburgh Steelers NOT the Rashard Mendenhall Steelers.

65. Anti-DEA says:

To the clearly uneducated who live in Pittsburgh and post on KDKA:

Explain to me how disagreeing and questioning the official story of 9/11 is ‘disgusting’ and ‘offensive to 9/11’ victims and their families?

Let me explain something to you children…the MAJORITY of the 9/11 Truthers (like myself) ARE the victim’s of 9/11. I have family who died in the towers, and who worked in them. It’s not offensive to me or the dozens of family members I have met to question the CLEARLY falsified report by the 9/11 commission.

Get this straight. Our government HAS lied to us to go to war. Um…Vietnam? Gulf of Tonkin incident? We do it all the time, just like how the Rothschilds funded both sides of WW1 and WW2…it’s all a big game, the ‘war in iraq’ and in Afghanistan was initiated for OIL, PROFIT and to further restrict the rights of the American people. We have MORE PRISONERS than CHINA…our policies are those of a dictatorship and tyranny has flooded our land; the uneducated can’t see this though, because they are glued to their TV’s and lied to by the mainstream media who, ironically, is also controlled by our over-sized government.

Props to Mendenhall for speaking his mind and using what is almost gone for good – FREE SPEECH.

Many of you posting here will have to answer to your God in the end for your thoughts and actions…how dare you support such an evil, tyrannical government, support their lies THEN you degrade your fellow citizens because they attempt to show people the truth? Shame on you all. Jesus has a special place for you folks.

66. Shawn says:

Good Almighty, you people are unbelievable!!
    What Rashard Mendenhall does on the football field has NOTHING to do with his intelligence or his beliefs. The man has the right to speak his opinions whether they’re right or wrong. Who are you to say that what Rashard has spoke on his Twitter page is that he is wrong or not? So what? The man is allowed to speak his mind & his personal opinions & if endorsements drops him for speaking his mind & opinions then shame on them & shame on anyone who judges Rashard & I guaranteed that majority of the people who are judging him are these so-called “Christians”!!!

1. Dr Michael says:

Your intergrity, morals, values represent who you are, on and off the field.

67. Proud fan says:

I applaud the Steeler organization. Get rid of the bum…..we dont need that type of people representing our fine city. Obviously Bin Ladin is not a very nice person and wants to kill us all…but knuckleheads that defend him should be eliminated from society. Peace, Life, Liberty, and Happiness for all.

68. Jeeperz says:

He has a right to say what he wants. I dont agree with it and you dont have to either. Do I think he should have tweeted it? Absolutely not, but he did. Thats what the troops are fighting for…free speech….To be honest I was more offended about what he said in his previous posts about women than what he said about 9-11.

I admit I didnt like when I saw people celebrating in the streets after the news came out about UBL being killed. I was happy that we finally got him but didnt want to dance in the streets. Thats what “they” do…its not what “we” do.

To the people that want him gone…Im guessing that you are the same people that wanted Ben gone after his off the field issues. I agree with TheFan in the fact that it was funny how people weren’t calling in wanting him gone before the superbowl. Its weird how that works out. If Mendenhall rushes for 1300 yards and scores 15 TDs this year (and doesnt funble) Im guessing people will be forgetting about his tweets.

69. Samuel Forsyth says:

I’m glad he spoke his mind and I hope that most people can respect that he was just giving his point of view. It’s too bad that some people can’t appreciate it when people are truthful and put their own thoughts and concerns out there.

70. realist says:

I COMMEND HIM FOR ALL THAT HE SAID!!! It sounds ideal that yay we did a great thing….but behind all the smoke and glitter FACTS ARE we weren’t even supposed to be or aloud to be there! But because we find someone while going back on our word, we find it excusable!! That is what is idiotic! That we think because we are America that we are high and mighty and can do as we please without punishment! Its those of you that are fed from the boob tube that are unable to read between the lines and realize that the media only tells you what they want you to know… a child with chocolate around their mouth, trying to say they didn’t do it! But regardless of agreeing or not people should be able to discuss and debate without taking personal jabs at people….NFL player or not. And for everyone saying he plays football what does he know… for starters he did go to college! You don’t have to be a politics major to have a clue!

71. realist says:

Bob- I didn’t know the subject changed to english!! I’m writing from my phone quick one! Why not try and stay on subject and make a point rather than keep giving your “because you said so” over criticized opinion!

72. realist says:

No tom im from pittsburgh! Our agreement to stay out of their country is a current matter, doesn’t have anything to do with the civil war!

73. Rolf Lindgren says:

9/11 was an inside job! Bin Laden died 10 years ago and has not even been charged with the 9/11 attacks. And an international team of scientists found the explosives that brought down the Twin Towers ad WTC 7.

74. A Believer says:

Good for him. He has the courage of his convictions. Bin Laden’s death was not an opportunity to celebrate, and there are many, many questions about 9/11. The possibility of it being an inside job are high.

Why not think for yourself instead of swallowing hook-line-and-sinker what you’re told by a government renowned for lying to you?

75. Ed Hall says:

Rashard can’t spell 9-11. Just goes to show an Illinois degree isn’t worth much these days. Dude-get a freekin clue.

76. Angela says:

I saw the smoke pouring from the Pentagon as a little kid living right in Arlington,Virginia. DON”T YOU DARE tell me that you think 9/11 was a conspiracy. Did you hear the screaming people jumping from windows of the twin towers? No, you didn’t. But those firefighters, those policemen and policewomen? They did. How many US soldiers die every day, fighting for your freedom? So you can play with the best team in the NFL? Think about it. Mendenhall, my daddy fought in the Army. My uncle was has been deployed 3 times. My mom worked for the Navy. You love God, right? Well I thank God every day nobody in my family was killed in those attacks. I thank God every day that people like my daddy and my uncle DEFEND and PROTECT our country. Do you?

Comments are closed.