17-Year-Old Charged With Robbing Distressed PNC Park Usher

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Pittsburgh police have arrested a 17-year-old boy in connection to the death of a PNC Park usher.

According to investigators, 58-year-old Michael Schacht apparently suffered a heart attack while driving home from the 14-inning Pirate game that ended on April 9.

While in distress, he pulled over in the 1800-block of Brighton Road. That’s when a 17-year-old came upon him slumped over behind the wheel of his 2002 Hyundai Sonata.

“From what we understand, he knocked on the window,” Pittsburgh Police Lt. Kevin Kraus said. “Mr. Schacht was apparently in distress. He was slumped over the console of his vehicle and at which time the 17-year-old opened the door, removed Mr. Schacht from the driver’s seat, placed him on the ground, went through his pockets, stole his wallet and then proceeded to steal his vehicle and drive away.”

Investigators believe Schacht was alive when the 17-year-old left him there. They believe that because they found blood at the scene and think his heart was still working at the time.

They say they don’t have enough evidence to charge the teen with homicide.

Schacht’s car was later found in the 300-block of Catoctin Way in Perry Hilltop on April 10.

The teenager was taken to the Shuman Detention Center on charges of robbery of a motor vehicle, robbery and two counts of theft.

Police aren’t releasing his name because he’s a juvenile and will not be charged as an adult.

Meantime, attorney and former Lawrence County District Attorney Matt Mangino joined KDKA Radio’s Robert Mangino to discuss how the law handles these sorts of situations.

Reward Offered For Information In Death Of PNC Park Usher
Police Find Ballpark Usher’s Vehicle
Police Probe Man’s Suspicious Death Overnight

1. Simple Man says:

Wow! What compassion! Instead of helping this man and possibly saving his life, this kid chose to rob him and leave him for dead. What a fine example of humanity! He could have been a hero, but instead, he’s a zero!

1. Dan says:

If the races of the victim and the actor were reversed, the actor would be tried as a adult of murder!

1. Kat says:

I agree with you Dan. If their races were reversed, the black community would be screaming racism.

2. Art says:

Now watch his family start whining that it was all just a misunderstanding and an unfortunate incident. If the races were reversed, they’d be waving the race card, and Al Sharpton would be on his way to Pittsburgh. I suppose this will give Lynn Hayes-Freeland something to crow about on her tv show.

2. BH Resident says:

And this proves the ways in which our justice system is flawed. I believe, correct me if I’m wrong, if a 10 year old can be charged as an adult, this means that the justice system believed the 10 year old understood what he was doing. The child was “aware” of what act he was committing, and he is now paying the price for it. THIS 17 year old knew what he was doing, did it, and now is being charged as a juvenile? Why? Compassion? Leaving a man to die at 17 years old? That is ridiculous. This person should be ashamed. I have personal ties to this case so my points may be skewed towards the victim, yet this is basic logic. A ten year old charged as an adult yet a 17 year old isn’t? Are they giving IQ tests these days to determine whether you are an adult? Was the ten year old really that much smarter and aware of his crime? I have a difficult time believing so.

1. failed by the system says:

Amen, PS great job police, you shoulda charged him as a adult for murder and let a jury aquit him if it was to be

3. Jayson Frank says:

if i was reading this right i do beilive that the man had a Heart Attack before the young teen found him. Yes he could of save his life and been a hero. However you dont know what was on the Teen’s mind at the time. He could of been ready to rob anybody.
      Also his charges was robbery of a motor vehicle, robbery and two counts of theft.That nowhere near a criminal act of homicide. Plus he’s 17 SORRY you have to be 18 to be trailed as an adult.

1. 412 says:

Based on your grammar, you must be a lawyer, thanks for the insight.

“…you don’t know what was on the Teen’s mind at the time.” That is irrelevant. He chose to do a dispicable act. This kid didn’t kill anyone, he prevented someone from living. Based on the evidence now, homicide isn’t possible, but something like reckless endangerment is entirely possible.

…and no you don’t HAVE to be 18 to be tried as an adult.

2. Frank says:

Why will he not be charged as an adult? A 10yo is being charged as an adult for murder but a 17yo is going to be considered a child? The DAs need to find consistency.

1. Frankly Put says:

While I think the 17 year old is garbage, he did not commit murder. The ten year old did. The 17 year old commited robbery.

1. Mike says:

The difference between robbery and murder is moot here. The question was, how can a 10 year old be charged as an adult (for murder) but a 17 charged as a juvenile (for robbery)? Why not charge the 17 as an adult for robbery?

2. Frank says:

Exactly Mike. That was my point. The fact that you CAN charge someone as an adult, yet they didn’t.

2. Wango says:

One can be charged with involuntary manslaughter for leaving the scene of an accident. There’s not much difference here. I’ll bet the parents are proud of this boy.

3. Tricia says:

What a heartless crime. I doubt some one capable of such depravity can be rehabilitated. At 17, he should definitely be charged as an adult.

1. Carrie says:

Oh wow!!! I can not believe you just said that!!! Listen, when people do things in life you can not judge them yourself or even judge them on why they did it. Let alone judge id they can be rehabilitated. Only God can JUDGE honey. See, with reading everyone’s responses about this, I can understand the outrage and anger. Honestly, I do not know why he is not being charged as an adult. Yes, I do feel that he should be, because he was very much aware of what he was doing and if you think about it he already knew what he was gonna do when he stepped to that vehicle.
      Rehabilitation smh Tricia, anyone can change if given the chance. Anyone can change their entire way of living and never commit another crime again in their life. How do I know? Because I am a convicted felon with multiple felonies and misdemeanors. I served three years in the Penitentiary. That is not what changed me. See, it was all about me wanting to change. It was all about me forming a relationship with my Savior Jesus Christ whom died for me to take care of my sins. So, please I ask you; JUDGE NOT!!!! You do not have a clue to what is going on in that persons life at the time of the crime whether it be a petty theft charge or a murder wrap. Focus on your own life and stop downing other people.. May God Bless you and Keep you!!

1. Thomas J Duttine says:

you are an idiot.

2. bt68 says:

3. Mook says:

We need to focus on this Carrie. The next unfortunate person might be us or someone we love… and don’t call anyone “Honey”. All this punk had to do was stop his crime for 1 minute and call 911 and Mr. Schactt might be alive. I think we all have the right to judge him… the POS he is.

4. Jonas says:

I agree with all the comments. Additionally, who’s to say that this kid wasn’t carjacking this guy, which caused the heart attack?

5. David Johnson says:

Worthless POS!! His ass should be sitting in the Allegheny County Jail!

6. MsCynic says:

Try him as an adult. He is NOT someone anyone would miss if he actually gets some decent jail time. People have NO value on human life – it’s just sad and those people are pathetic. His parents should be proud.

7. thoughts says:

this is unbelievable

8. thoughts says:

critter do as your name and crawl back into your critter hole. You can tell your a piece of redneck trash as if any decent human being still uses phrases like “spook”. grow up

1. ron says:

critter could of used the derogatory n word which i would guess he uses on a daily basis.

9. s says:

This young fellow violated the Good Samaritan Law but still could pull the ignorant I didn’t know card.

10. holly says:

dirt bag

11. Truth! says:

Critter was right, although too stupid to look at the picture.

12. thoughts says:

I wonder if he can be charged with manslaughter.

13. adda boy says:

blame it on the welfare system for the number of upstanding citizens living in the city. .

14. Debbie says:

Why is he not being charged with murder, he left the guy laying there instant of calling 911. He made sure he took his car and money but failed to call anyone for help. Even pulled him out of the car. I think more charges should be filed and he should be with the rest of the sum in JAIL….

15. Scott says:

Great police work. Now only if the judges will understand that you can’t let this trash back on the street in a couple of month’s.

16. John says:

FRANK:: Even though it is a tragedy a man is died, but comparing PULLING a trigger on a sleeping woman to leaving a dying man to die isnt even in the same league. One is a coldblooded killer the other is just a heartless a$$hole. If and I am sure if the police could prove the heart attack was caused by the robbery he would be charged for murder. None of us know the facts to pass judgement on the DA who does know the facts. If law enforcement has the evidence this boy will be on trial and let JUSTICE do what we have a JUSTICE system for and he will be judged. Until then shame on him for deciding to rob instead of help.

1. Mike says:

Frank was not saying he should be charged with murder; he said he should be charged as an adult. If a 10 year old can be charged as an adult (for murder), why not a 17 year old (for robbery)?

2. Frank says:

I’m not comparing robbery to murder. I’m saying that there’s no reason (none that I can see) as to why this ‘person’ should be charged as a juvenile. The seriousness of this carjacking by someone 17 seems to me that the person should be charged as an adult. He certainly CAN be charged as an adult but the DA is choosing not to. That is the inconsistency that I’m referring to.

1. John says:

Charge him as an adult he is 17 years old. 17 years old by law is a minor and by his actions he acted like a minor not an adult. The DA has the right to decide to get people off our streets PERMANENTLY that can cause serious threats to the population of the community like a cold-blooded killer. Robbery and Murder personally if I was in a bad situation I would rather be ROBBED then KILLED. And if I was robbed by a 17yr old even though I would be upset I would understand if they charged him as a minor if I was killed by a 17yr old I would want him charged as an adult. You did compare and are still comparing a theif and murderer read what you are saying.

2. Frank says:

No John, I’m saying as a 17 year old, he knew what he was doing, and for that reason I say he should be tried as an adult. I’m not talking about murder at all, it his actions and what I believe to be his motive and thought process. He saw a person in distress and still chose to do what he did. For that reason I say try him as an adult.

17. crook says:

He’ll be out in six mos. in the next year or two how many more people will fill his wrath before he finally goes to prison?

18. George W. Humphreys Sr. says:

It’s hard to believe this kind of garbage even exists.

19. Irony says:

He’s wearing a Pirates hat. This kid deserves to be in jail for life. Pull up your pants and get an education!

20. deja says:

So sad that a 17 year old wasn’t at the very least raised to help this man! He could take what he wanted and still maybe saved his life with a simple phone call.So very sad. Imagine how the family feels about losing their husband and father and grandfather this way…..Only to have this 17 year old slapped on the wrist? We are in serious trouble with our youth. Parents need to step up and be parents once again! So very sad!

21. Kenny says:

I wonder if he had a cell phone to call 911? I see little kids ,ten and up with them!

22. outraged says:

As a member of the family this is an outrage. Not being charged as an adult is ludicrous. I have no idea how there isn’t a reckless endangerment charge, or something of the like. Even the detective said the outcome could have been a lot different if a phone call would have been made.

Kenny, he had the phone that he stole out of his pocket.

23. Kenny says:

I believe he should be he should face adult charges.He pulled him out of the vehicle,robbed him and stole his car,This could have been anybody that was HELPLESS! He’s just a punk, that thinks tough.Let him go.He’ll be one that gets shot down in the street.(BY HIS OWN KIND)

24. Kenny says:

Jerry, That was uncalled for.Please leave our Steelers out of this.

25. uutan says:

I have a problem with the reporting in this article. It states: “removed Mr. Schacht from the driver’s seat, placed him on the ground” Then later states: “they found blood at the scene”.. He tossed him out of the car with no concern for his life.

1. Lisa says:

EXACTLY! Found blood but we’re supposed to believe he was placed on the ground!?!?! And he gets a juvinile slap on the wrist. No wonder the inner city ‘kids’ keep gettting worse. Nothing to fear…

26. Kenny says:

I agree 100% with you ! If it was turned around.Fed up,I’m calling it a night.(GO-STEELERS)

27. Lynyrd says:

Black on white crimes are getting more prevalent. White people better wake up.
    They are aloud to hate. I won’t hesitate to protect myself or my family,

28. swin says:

So he’s charged as a juvenile at age 17, which means he gets out in one year and has his record expunged. And some later year he kills somebody again and the process starts all over again. And you wonder what’s wrong with our judicial system in this country. The time was when he would have been charged with murder, tried and sentenced within a week, and if found guilty, hanged the next day. That is how a judicial system should work and that is how you deter crime – not with this liberal rehabilitation ‘he really is a good kid who just had a bad upbringing’ nonsense we have today.

And for you bleeding hearts who think capital punishment does not work – give me one instance in which a person executed for a crime ever committed another crime.

29. Karen says:

They need to send this little hoodrat out to sea next to Bin Ladin!!!!

30. 2059 says:

let him go, the street will take care of him and it won’t cost the taxpayers a single dime.

31. johnny69 says:

Arm yourself. Patrol urban areas. Be on lookout for American Urban Terrorist. When they try to kill or rob you (and they WILL)…defend yourself.

32. John says:

Darn it, one more year, and the perp would’ve voted for Obama….

33. Tony says:

You can thank the ACLU and Liberal Democrats with the go easy on criminal attitude in America. This 17 year old punk might have been able to save this mans life instead he robbed him adding stress to his heart attack. Yet he will not be charged as an adult. It’s no wonder people are moving out of Pittsburgh in record numbers.

1. John says:

People are leaving Pittsburgh because of JOBS not because of crime. Unemployment is up in Pittsburgh and that causes crime.

1. Dan says:

bzzzzzz….wrong. The north hills area is booming and many of those people work in the city…but won’t live in the city because of crime. I’m one of them so I can speak for some.

34. WENDY says:

let him rot in jail

35. Last Word says:

Don’t call him an animal. That would be too good for him. Animals only attack out of necessity or fear. He’s a dirtbag and a loser.

36. bt68 says:

come on naacp where you at !! just another black showing there colorers

37. bt68 says:

38. Ricky says:

Welcome to America. People will be more upset about the racist remarks directed at this piece of garbage than what he did, the attorneys one both sides of the issue will get a big fat paycheck, and he’ll be out in 5 years at best to father some more useless kids for the taxpayers to support before doing something even worse to someone else and destroying yet another family.

The economy, crime, abuse of power, corporate greed – everything that’s wrong with this country is the result of tolerance.

39. TIMSTER says:

I couldn’t agree more with the family of the VICTIM.
    I have no problem with paying the tax dollars to having this low life animal being incarserated as an adult. Might as well pay now, at 17, he is only begining his life as a career criminal.
    What’s that I hear, oh yea, his mother and grandmother will be on the news saying how much of a great kid he is.
    In 4 years, he be back in the news when he is released, this time for murder, no doubt.

40. TIMSTER says:

That was probably the victims ball cap that the PIECE OF GARBAGE was wearing in the picture.
    NRA all the way

41. Ricky says:

Put a microphone in his hand and have him do some rapping. White suburban kids will worship the ground he walks on.

42. 1-2-3 says:

This is heartless and cold crime, what kind of upbringing did this 17 year old have, he should be dealt with in the justice system without any compassion. I don’t see much of a future for this individual, more of a burden to society.

43. Said says:

The ignorance that I am hearing. Race does not matter someone lost their life basically over ignorance. It appears to me that Pittsburgh Finest dropped the ball. This child should have been charged as an adult. At least with manslaughter. He robbed someone and left them to die to on the side of the road. Pittsburgh finest said that there was blood on the scene. It seems as though that punk did more than just laid him on the ground. Thank God that he got caught at least. It’s just said that he is not being charged as an adult. Parents need to step up to the plate and start raising their children instead of the street raising them.

44. thoughts says:

you people are ridiculous. young and dumb. you can be any race, color, creed male or female. stupidity has no color or gender. It sounds to me like alot of you on here need a lesson in diversity and some more in diverse-city. This has nothing to do with welfare or crime…it has to do with passion and respect for huma life.
    RIP Mike.

45. Bill says:

Rashard Mendenhall says that, since you don’t know his side of the story, don’t judge this 17-year-old hoodrat

46. don says:

we need more jails for those people

1. Irish67 says:

Nah, we need more gallows for these people. Now we’ll end up providing him 3 meals and a bed for the rest of his life.

47. Live in Pittsburgh says:

the facts are this gentleman was already in distress when the dude approached him. yes, he could have attempted to save him. but, legally aside from calling 911 – that’s if he had a cell phone- preforming CPR is risky. people have sued others for attempting to save their lives with CPR and not preforming it correctly. that’s a whole huge legal issue. as far as trying him on an elevated robbery charge, unless there was a weapon used it’s just robbery – not aggravated. basic charge. he didn’t actually kill the gentleman. morally, what he did is unexcusable but legally he just robbed someone. he took advantage of situation.
    as far as the 10-year old, are we talking about the boy who just did this in ohio or the one who killed his stepmother in PA? i think the reason they are being tried as adults is b/c of the caliber of the weapon–shotguns. i could be wrong here but that’s my take on it.

1. 412 says:

The Good Samaritan Act is there to protect people who try to help in a situation where help is needed.

§8332. Nonmedical good Samaritan civil immunity.
      (a) General rule.–Any person who renders emergency care, first aid or rescue at the scene of an emergency, or moves the person receiving such care, first aid and rescue to a hospital or other place of medical care, shall not be liable to such person for any civil damages as a result of any acts or omissions in rendering the emergency care, first aid or rescue, or moving the person receiving the same to a hospital or other place of medical care, except any acts or omissions intentionally designed to harm or any grossly negligent acts or omissions which result in harm to the person receiving the emergency care, first aid or rescue or being moved to a hospital or other place of medical care.

48. Charles Bronson says:

This one will be a career criminal…get him and lock him away forever. Problem solved.

49. JON says:

Another welfare hoodrat Who was rasied on taxpayer money. And rob and left for dead the one who worked and payed his taxes to support this black trash low life. I am all for abortions for all welfare mothers who send there offspring hoot rats to rob and murder innocent people.

50. Fred G. says:

Blacks killing people. What a shock.

51. Irish67 says:

Typical monkey. Slap him on the wrist so he can be back out and graduate to more violent crime in no time.

52. I Wonder says:

I agree with Dan and Kat! If the situation was reversed, we’d have Al Sharpton and everyone else here screaming racism!! He should be tried as an adult, period! How heartless can you be??!!

53. thoughts says:

Jon do some research bright boy whites are the higher percentage on welfare. Welfare is not the culprit… corruption is.

54. Boomqueisha (my ghetto baby name) says:

I don’t know what we’re going to do about this type of Oscar Grant in our community.

I wish I could wake up one day and this type of black person is no longer a part of the universe. It would be so nice and quiet.

55. TINA says:

who you calling boy

17 year old should have their name released

if it was a white ATTACKER AND A BLACK VICTIM

56. Irony2 says:

and to believe he was wearing not only the Pirate Baseball Cap, but a Cross, I wonder why because he had no mercy for Mr. Schacht, his only focus was to taken advantage of the situation and obtain some easy cash and a vehicle, how sad that is. I feel he should be charged as an adult.

57. TheLazyComic says:

My friend told me that this crime was committed by a Catholic Nun who had done this to that usher. He lied to me. This hood-rat doesn’t look like a Catholic Nun to me.

58. Street Slang says:

You know normally I’m on the other side agreeing with the criminal but in this case no way should he be tried as juvenile. He could have easily called an ambulance but chose not too that is just a D Ck move! the people who should be set free are those college kids who were growin weed LOL im serious though cmon like just let it gooooooooo its a plant and it doesnt kill. Alcohol should be illegal, thats the killer!!!!!!!

59. Fill the Needle says:

And they wonder why they’re beaten while being interrogated. Animals. I wish the victim’s family members could have five minutes alone with this loser wanna be gangsta beast. LOSER!

Comments are closed.