Hines Ward Calls Incident ‘A Complete Misunderstanding’

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Police in Los Angeles reportedly handcuffed Steelers Wide Receiver Hines Ward at gunpoint overnight; but Ward’s agent says it was all just a misunderstanding.

Hines and an unidentified woman dined at a restaurant in North Los Angeles. Afterwards, they couldn’t locate their car in valet parking, so they reported it stolen. Eventually, they found the car, but didn’t tell police.

“She found the car herself and just didn’t report back to police,” LAPD Officer David Kapshanyan said.

Find TMZ’s report at this link.

Police confronted the couple on Ventura Boulevard, ordering the pair out of the car at gunpoint, handcuffing Ward and his female companion. Police say they cooperated and were eventually let go without being arrested.

“Very cooperative, understanding,” Kapshanyan said. “They understood exactly what was going on. They were shocked, you know, but very understanding, very cooperative.”

The woman with Hines was not his “Dancing With The Stars” partner.

On his Facebook page, Ward wrote: “To my fans, the incident in the news that involved me getting pulled over, I want everyone to know that this was a complete misunderstanding. The police were just doing their job. Apologies were made and it’s now in the past. Moving forward, Hines.”

RELATED LINKS:
TMZ.com
Pittsburgh Steelers
More Steelers News
More Sports News

Comments

1. Arlene says:

Talk about sensationalizing the news. Why did they have the headlines “Ward handcuffed in L.A. overnight” ? He had done nothing wrong and it was a total mistake by the police. Why not say something like “Ward mistakenly handcuffed by L.A. police. You would still read the article to see what happened but would not give you the impression he was in trouble.

1. Stan says:

I totally agree. KDKA is not being responsibe at all. I mean the guy had to deal with a miscommunication and KDKA decides that everyone should know about it. It would be interesting to tell all of the stories behind the scenes in these irresponsible reporters lives and see how they like it.

1. O.J. says:

The only one not being responsible is Hines Ward. I mean, what self-respecting professional athlete would let himself be seen getting into a Honda Civic at 1:30 AM in LA? Even a Bronco would have been better.

2. the man says:

who cares thats the price of fame if he doesnt like it (which hes not complaning) go off into the sunset you fools on here think you know him and you dont he hasnt complaned about this at all

2. Nana says:

Wonder who the woman was. Was it his DWTS partner?

1. Bruno from DWTS says:

It was Kirstie Alley

3. Chris says:

Seriously…a Honda Civic??? Hines…

1. Leige Lindsay says:

Just goes to show you that Hines is a real person, just like us..

4. juan beer says:

There is more to this. Who reports a car stolen, then “recovers it”.

5. Irish Eyes says:

This article is not fair to Hines Ward, who has an exemplary record. People are only going to see that Hines Ward was handcuffed. How sad that the news media has to step to such a low level.

6. Christine says:

Hey Marty,
    The Indians are already in your neighborhood, the great state of Mt. Lebanon!

7. William Anthony Dlubak says:

I was policeman and state criminal investigator for 15 years. As soon as the stolen vehicle is found, this would have supported the fact immediately it was found after they I.D.ed the owner in the vehicle . . This traffic stop would have only lasted minutes. Was someone looking for publicity at the cost of embarrasing Hines? I smell a problem with this story, mainly when the owner and Hines were the occupants. Through her I.D. and the vehicle registration, this would have immediately confirmed that her vehicle was not stolen. Something wrong this story……………

1. bluescrubs says:

I dont agree with you..Many times I have come across where NCIC was not cancelled especially when other law enforcement agencies are involved. some agencies dont immediately enter a stolen vehicle in NCIC but do send out the BOLO.I myself was picked up and actually arrested for a stolen vehcile when the vehicle was mine.Some agency transposed 2 numbers of the VIN when entering into NCIC. Of course with all paperwork in hand , the magistrate dismissed the case.

1. Enough with the Cop Talk says:

zzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzz

8. Charles says:

I agree. Completely BS headline. Try to hook you into reading it as if Hines did something wrong.

9. Bob S. says:

A Honda Civic, I am really confused why he would be in a Honda Civic, makes me wonder whom this woman is?

1. Leige Lindsay says:

What is wrong with Hines riding in a Honda Civic? Please tell me

10. PJ says:

So sad that the media can sink so low. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. They have solidly proven over the years that there is no lowest level they will stoop to the “report” news.

1. Loves Crosby says:

GROW UP PJ

11. steve says:

whatever, Ward cheats all the time with college girls in the South Side…

1. Arlene Cotter Halloran says:

cheats on who? He isn’t married

1. Hugh Grant says:

Um. Right. What I was about to, um, say, before you, um, pardon me very much, but that was, yeah, uh, um, right. Well, what the hell…That was a dude!

2. Player Athlete says:

EXCUSE ME BUT HINES IS MOST DEFINITELY MARRIED AND HE HAS A YOUNG SON. DAMN HINES, YOU’RE JUST LIKE ALL THE REST.

3. bluescrubs says:

people can go to dinner with other people without it being a date or cheating. It could have been a business dinner. Since the other person was not Identified nobody knows why or needs to know .
        Hines has always been an upstanding person and this was just an attempt to make him look bad..but it didnt work.

12. Simple Man says:

Maybe it was Ray Lewis – he’s tired of being saddled with all the negative publicity. LOL Seriously, though, it sounds like a setup to me.

13. MH says:

Sounds like a bad date! Love you Hines

14. JS says:

He should be handcuffed just for being on DWTS…that is a crime in and of itself. Regarding the Honda Civic, maybe Hines is going green…was it a hybrid? This is front page stuff…glad we have KDKA and the rest of the media all over it. Bin Laden killed, tornados in the south, flooding in the midwest, unemployment high, and Hines handcuffed. Which one of these is not an important event? KDKA should send Marty Griffin on the next flight to LA to get to the bottom of this. The public needs to know.

15. Critter is dumb says:

….and needs to crawl back in his hole

16. thoughts says:

I think it was Chris who said “seriously Hines A Honda Civic..that was hilarious! and right on point. Hines cmon get a classier broad. And a little smarter to. I mean she reported the car stolen then forget to tell the police she found it. can we say dodo!

1. John Favreau says:

Or there is so much good strange in L.A. that the girls driving a Civic are hotties?

17. CRACKS says:

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS KDKA COMING FROM? HINES WARD IS THE BEST PERSON TO REPRESENT PITTSBURGH AND THE NFL…..BUT NO, YOU HAVE TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OVER NOTHING,..REALLY TIRED OF YOU GIVING HEADLINES ON YOUR NEWS BROADCAST AND THE STORIES BEING DUMB.
    YOU DO THAT SO PEOPLE WILL WATCH.
    HINES WAS NO BIG HEADLINE….NOTHING HAPPENED SO WHY REPORT IT.

18. Bruno Tonioli says:

I thought Hines was gay?

1. Steely McBeam says:

You’re just jealous Bruno…Hines and I chase skirts on the South Side all the time.

1. Bruno Tonioli says:

oh, it’s you that is gay.

2. Steely McBeam says:

Sshhhh, dont tell the Rooneys

19. Bill says:

Now if Bin Laden had been hiding in the trunk of the car that would have been a story.

1. Marty Griffin says:

I only hide in PAT buses.

20. Stainer says:

Cmon, Hines is super ugly and asian. He’s a 4, but because he is in NFL he is a 7. A solid 7. I think Honda Civic sounds about right.

1. Suspicious says:

Can you say “lady of the evening”? They ride around in ’84 Chevy Cavaliers in Pgh but in LA they do in style in Honda Civics.

21. & Cash says:

Sounds like Hines tangoed his way out of a DUI

22. STEVE says:

TO THIS DAY I STILL DONT KNOW HOW THAT MARTY GRIFFIN KEEPS HIS JOB. YOU THINK WITH ALL THE NEGETIVE THINGS SAID ABOUT HIM AND THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE (VIEWERS) KDKA LOST BECAUSE OF HIM THEY WOULD DROP HIM LIKE A BAD HABIT. HEY MARTY, GO APPLY FOR P.A.T. AND SEE HOW LONG YOU WOULD LAST THERE

1. Mon River Towing says:

I think Marty is hilarious on the radio. But on TV he’s a yinzer with a microphone.

23. James Dean says:

I wish someone would steal my Honda Civic.

24. Demi Moore says:

Where was Ashton Kutcher? Sounds like an episode of Punk’d. Who was this mysterious woman driving the Honda Civic? I thought Hines was married & had a son. What’s he parousing the streets of LA with this young woman at 2 in the morning? Just like Tiger, don’t let the smile fool ya, just be careful I’m only trying to warn you about smiling faces, smiling faces tell lies & I know the truth. A smile is just a frown turned upside down…beware!

25. Jeff says:

If you drive after dark, expect to be harassed by the ‘heros’ of law enforcement

In their eyes, we’re all guilty…. black or white

The car didn’t say “STOLEN’ on the side so that means they were followed long enough for the pigs to run the plates

I thought this was the USA, but anyone who’s seen the Scott Ashley beating video at PNC Park knows what the Pgh. Police think of this country and it’s laws

26. redrock100 says:

Jeff. UR mama sucks

27. pittgirl says:

I have a Honda Civic – maybe it was me!?

28. randy says:

what the F is Hines doing in a Honda??? the guy should be in a Ferrari or a SLR McLaren

1. poor guy says:

The economy has affected us all. With the lock out these guys need to money, so no fancy car. I hope he got a good deal for leasing it.

29. D Willis says:

If he has a wife, where is wifie??? Hines’s has made comments, “the only person in my life is my Mom”. I brought my son out to LA to celebrate his 7th. Birthday. Not wife and son, but mother and son supporting him at the DWTS.. I don’t get that, Even if you don’t want the spot light you support your hubby!!!

30. Buffalo fan says:

Of course it was a misunderstanding.the Rooneys dont need any more bad publicity over the situations their players get into. All the other players situations were misunderstandings too, rape, public intoxication, assault and battery, well you get the idea the list goes on.

Comments are closed.