Hines Ward Thanks Fans After ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Win

LOS ANGELES (KDKA) — Hines Ward is a champion once again.

He and his professional partner, Kym Johnson, have won season 12 of “Dancing With The Stars.”

On Wednesday, Hines posted this message to his fans on Facebook:

“OMG! I can’t believe it! First I want to say THANK YOU to all my fans and Steeler Nation, Bulldog Nation, and HineKym Nation for voting us to the Mirror Ball Trophy victory. Kym and I worked our butts off in this competition. Hats off to Kirstie/Maks and Chelsea/Mark each well deserving of the Mirror Ball. But you fans pushed us over the top. Kym and I are so thankful. Pittsburgh is back on the map! Hope I represented well. I still can’t believe it! Hines”

A bunch of fans gathered at the Jerome Bettis Grille 36 on the North Shore to watch the results on Tuesday night. One woman from Wexford drove to the restaurant after losing power.

“And I said to my girlfriend, ‘We are going down to Pittsburgh and we are watching this if it’s the last thing we do today!’” she told KDKA-TV. “He has a lot of heart and soul and everybody loves him.”

The Black N Gold Girls, a local group, got some national attention on “The Insider” for their voting efforts for Hines and Kym.

They have 30,000 members in 27 countries and all 50 states.

“We decided it was time for Pittsburgh to identify, unite and activate the female fan base of all the Pittsburgh sports,” one of the founders of the group said.

Comments

1. Renee Doan says:

NO WAY did Chelsea deserve 3rd place. This happened in lieu of personality, not true talent.

1. TheTruth says:

It’s like a high school popularity contest. It has nothing to do with talent.

2. Diablo says:

Just getting to dance with Kym is better than winning! Huba -Huba

1. mmaletta says:

Please!!!! How do you know what he does or doesn’t do for his children?? Take care of your own biz!!!!

3. Diane says:

Hooray Hines and Kym..so very proud of you both!!!!!!!

4. Diablo says:

Chelsea was the obvious best dancer!

1. Mary Lee Frye Marshman says:

but she didn’t have a whole NATION of fans to support her! YAY Hines!

5. JOYCE says:

YEA HINES AND KYM BRING IT ON HOME HINES

6. Steve says:

I believe Kym is an Honorary Pittsburgher now!

7. PghLosers says:

Good job Pgh. It’s funny to watch “yinz” brag about a dance contest.

Oh, you lost the Super Bowl…what Hines is supposed to be good at…

LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1. Margie D says:

did your football team even go to the Super Bowl….i just feel that this was written by a Baltimoron

2. gremlin says:

It’s more funny to see a LOSER from a losing team comment…STEELER NATION RULES!

3. Christine says:

Well, the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowls, more than any other team. Hines represented the Steelers and Pittsburgh with total grace, style and skill. Just goes to show that no matter what a Pittsburgher does, they do it with heart and total conviction. Way to go Hines!

4. Sammy says:

PghLosers, are you dumb?

8. Ronald55 says:

Kirstie Alley did not deserve to be in the finals!

1. Sharon Wilson says:

RONALD 55 YOU ARE SO RIGHT

9. Motherpurebred says:

I am shocked and pleased!! Chelsea acted like she had it in the bag, hurray for Hines and Kym!!!!

1. Nanny says:

You are so right on this one. Didn’t care for her at all. Too arrogant.

10. CHAR says:

YEAH HINES & KYM! YOU DESERVED TO WIN! YOU WERE AWESOME EVERY WEEK! KIRSTIE DIDN’T DESERVE TO BE SECOND….IT WAS HER POPULARITY AND NOT HER DANCING ABILITY THAT PUT HER IN SECOND!

11. cindylee says:

Congratulations Hines….you are a an amazing football player and now you have showed the world an amazing dancer. Pittsburgh loves you Hines!!!

12. Cindy says:

Dancing with the stars is about an unknown without any dance experience coming on the show and each week learning a new dance and improving themselves. Chelsea was a dancer from the beginning she was consistently good, Hines came in and each week showed determination and improvement. Hines deserved to win! I couldn’t wait for each new week to see him what he would do.

13. Margie D says:

Hines is the perfect DWTS contestant….excellent dancer and personality plus and the Steeler Nation behind him.
    So happy he had Kym as a partner. She is always great.
    Disney Kids have always fallen short, even though, they all take dancing lessons to work for Disney….probably if there were unlimited voting it would be different.
    Kirsty must have a really great fan base that votes.
    CONGRATULATION TO HINES AND KYM….

14. Paul says:

I give Kirstie credit, but she should have been gone weeks ago! It really is personality contest! Not really a dance contest!!

1. Sharon Wilson says:

I TOTALLY AGREE

15. getter done says:

another undeserving football player wins again. great job CHELSEA, just not enough fans.

16. Beth says:

WE FROM THE “BURGH” NOT ONLY HAVE “6” TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS BUT NOW WE HAVE AN MVP ON AND OFF THE FIELD. ALL “YINZ” HATERS OUT THERE……………..GET WITH IT AND JOIN THE “STEELER NATION” AND THEN YOU’LL ALWAYS BE A WINNER !!!!!

A BLACK & GOLD “CONGRATS” TO HINES AND kYM ………..WE LOVE YA HINES AND TO KYM I SAY “YOU WILL ALWAYS BE WELCOME” IN “STEELER COUNTRY”

17. Suzy Jagodzinski says:

Good job, Hines, well deserved award; I am so very proud of Kirsty ‘s transformation;
    Chelsea is a sweet girl with lots of potential.

18. Jan says:

Way to go Hines…..you rock! You made the Steeler nation proud!

19. Sharon Wilson says:

JUST WHAT I THOUGHT HINES AND KIM THEY WERE THE BEST DANCERS…………..

20. Yvonne says:

I agree wholeheartedly with Cindy and her comment. It is what it is. Improvement, great attitude, stick too-it-ness no matter what should be the winner. All are champions! Each with their specialness. Why can’t we be positive for all. I thiink poor sport Paul needs to learn how to dance the dance of good sportsmanship. Get a grip be- I bet you are always gripping- be positive> sore losers never win. We need more positivity in the world. Go Pittsburgh! I’m a southern but a Pittsburgh fan forever! Way to go Pittsburgh! Yeah!

21. Debbie says:

NO DOUBT.
    NOW REALLY………………………………WHEN THE STEELER NATION HAS TO SHOW UP……………………..FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE WAS NO DOUBT THAT THE NATION WOULD PUT HINES AND KYM IN FIRST PLACE…………
    CONGRATS TO A JOB WELL DONE HINES!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE LOVED…………….GO BLACK AND GOLD!!!! NOW LETS GET READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!! OWNERS!!!!!!!

22. Paul Mrozek says:

I think they should NOW rename Heinze field to HINES FIELD! The BEST dancer won tonight! Congrats to Hines and Kym!

23. Robert says:

Go STEELERS Nation!!! What does that have to do with how well you dance. I guess that explains why the Steelers lost the super bowl because they’re all dancing fairies with wings. It reminds of that movie tooth fairy when the rock was the tooth fairy. It just doesn’t fit and Hines Ward as a dancer doesn’t fit as well but if “The Steelers Nation” thinks so than I guess when Hines drops a pass next year we can all have fun with that and say his mind must have been on the foxtrot instead of the football.

1. Renee L. Hayes says:

LOL…a little jealous Robert? hahahaha Did your team even make it to the Super Bowl? I didn’t think so:-) It is so imature to call people names, but if you must, call us what we are! Winners X6 +

24. COULD CARE LESS says:

BLAHH . this show has totally gone downhill.. totally not even a dancing competition anymore . chelsea should have won by a landslide.. she had upbeat awesome dances . its not the first season the true winner didnt win and im sure wont be the last . i wont be watching anymore .

1. shocked says:

Ya Chelsea is also a trained Dancer through Disney so in fact she should not have one, she had an advantage over everyone. Even last season Jennifer Gray had an advantage, so did Kristy Y. Hines busted his butt and roved everyone wrong. Hines deserved to win.

1. Sierra says:

But I doubt she was trained as a Ballroom Dancer somehow…and she improved a lot from the beginning. And she has the talent AND the personality and definitely deserved to win. The only reason Hines won is because football fans voted for him. His final routine wasn’t even creative and it only showed Kym’s talent as a dancer. He wasn’t the one doing the flips!

2. STEELER NATION IN FLORIDA says:

COULD CARE LESS:
      The only reason Chelsea “looked” good was because she was able to get up there and wiggle, jiggle, shake and bounce everything the good Lord gave her. THAT, plus her dancing experience COULD have made her the winner of this competition. BUT, a TRUE winner is someone with no dance experience, without body parts to flaunt, has a winning (NOT an “I know I’m going to win this”) personality, and isn’t in love with himself. ABC and DWTS set the rules. It’s their choice to involve the public, therein bring in Steeler Nation. Believe me, DWTS AND Steeler Nation won’t miss you.

25. Connie says:

Well I thought it was just a bunch of hype and bs, but you must admit that Hines proved me wrong. I know he didn’t know how to dance before, he worked hard and was determined to take the trophy back to Pittsburgh. I think he looked wonderful all dressed up and represented the city of champions with style and grace, that million dollar smile of his could not be beat. Everyone should take a lesson from him, your smile is the best thing anyone can wear. Congrats to Hines and Kym, hope your feeling much better.

1. STEELER NATION IN FLORIDA says:

WELL SAID CONNIE

26. Jon says:

Who cares!! This is all the stations around here have been talking about for weeks. How is this news???

27. MAMACASS says:

Jon,
    Then why are you commenting? You are just another curious man who doesn’t want to admit it and make the comment. Just do it! I never watched this show either before this season until Hines was on. Be Steeler proud!!!!

28. Jack Beiber says:

WAY TO GO HINES…….

29. Boo Stillers says:

When Kim faked her injury, that go them a lot of sympathy votes. Hahahaha

1. STEELER NATION IN FLORIDA says:

WHAT A STUPID COMMENT

30. Tpop says:

Why is silly Sarah bragging that she voted 60 times!! It looks like cheating.

31. Yawn says:

Hines can put the DWTS trophy next to his “Dirtiest Player in the NFL” trophy (google it)

32. PITTSBURGH BORN STEELER FAN says:

God has chosen Hines as his messanger and “HE HAS SPOKEN”!!! All through his career he has touched the lives of many thousands of people,giving them promise and hope. Yes he has proven himself a dancer and football star and hero but most of all HE IS THE GREATEST HUMANITARIAN that ever lived!!! I’ve had the honor of being kissed by him and my life has forever more been blessed!

1. Boo Stillers says:

“HE HAS SPOKEN”???? Isn’t that what that guy said about May 21?

2. Huh? says:

I hope you are joking….

33. Earl Warwick says:

I am from Maryland and was a hardcore Ravens fan. Hines is one of the reasons I became a hardcore Steelers fan and now he is the reason I have becaome a ballroom dancing fan.

1. STEELER NATION IN FLORIDA says:

YEA, HE HAS A WAY OF BRINGING OUT THE BEST IN ALL OF US 🙂 CONGRATULATIONS ON “CROSSING OVER” TO THE GOOD SIDE AND GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW FOUND HOBBY!

34. PITTSBURGH BORN STEELER FAN says:

No I”m not joking. Only a born and raised in Steeler country fan will understand what I”m saying. You ban-wagon fans will never understand or get it.

1. Huh? says:

“Dirtiest Player in the NFL” doesn’t make me think of “THE GREATEST HUMANITARIAN”. You can cheer for your team and that’s great, but Hines is no MLK.

35. FedUp says:

HINES AND KIM ROCKED THE HOUSE! THEY WERE CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENT, FULL OF CHARISMA, AND UNDOUBTEDLY DESERVED TO WIN!! THANKS ALSO TO STEELER NATION FOR SHOWING THE COUNTRY HOW RABID WE STEELER FANS TRULY ARE! CONGRATS HINES AND KIM — CAN’T WAIT FOR YOU TO BRING HOME THE MIRROR BALL ! HEY, IT’S PITTSBURGH — LET’S HAVE A PARADE!, FOLLOWED BY ZAMBELLI FIREWORKS AND A PRIMANTI’S SANDWICH ! LOVE YA, HINES ! !

36. Teresa says:

I AGREE!!! HINES AND KIM NEVER MISSED A BEAT EACH & EVERY WEEK THEY CAME BACK STRONGER, DETERMINED TO WIN. IF PITTSBURGH HAS A PARADE FOR HINES, HE SHOULD BRING KYM BACK WITH HIM TO JOIN HIM IN THE PARADE – AFTERALL THEY WERE PARTNERS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE COMPETITION AND THEY SO DESERVED TO WIN! I WANT TO ADD TOO, THANK YOU HINES AND KYM FOR BRINGING SOME HAPPINESS INTO OUR HOMES WATCHING YOU EACH WEEK; WITH ALL THE BAD NEWS DAILY, IT WAS GREAT TO SEE SOME HAPPY TIMES FOR ONCE. AND, HINES, WITH YOUR GORGEOUS SMILE YOU LIT UP THE STAGE LIKE A RAY OF SUNSHINE. WAY TO GO HINES AND KYM- YOU ABSOLUTELY ROCKED AND BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN WITH YOU PERFORMANCE AND SO DESERVED TO WIN. THANKS FOR BRINGING HOME THE MIRROR BALL TROPHY!

37. MARIO says:

GO HINES BABY!!! BROUGHT HOME A OTHER TROPHY BACK TO PITTSBURGH
    STEELER NATION BEST FAN IN THE COUNTRY

38. Ryan S. says:

I never knew he was so flamboyant, I think he checked his manhood at the door throughout this contest. Didn’t watch, but the pictures I have seen of him have left me wondering about this guys sexual preference, what a tool!

39. Inna says:

People who want this to be a true dance contest based on talent alone are missing the point. If the best dancer in the group wins every time there would be no surprise in the end. You think it’s a popularity contest but maybe someone who had few fans in the beginning gained more fans as the weeks went on for their personalty, determination, attitude and hard work. The top 3 in the finals deserved to be there each in their own way. If you want to see a true dance contest then watch the professionals compete on PBS and stop whining. WAY TO GO HINES

40. PITTSBURGH BORN STEELER FAN says:

Hines has done more for humanity beyond being the greatest Steeler. Again, only those of us fortunate to be born and raised in Steeler country understand. Hope someday everyone in their next life will be lucky enough to be born in the Steeler Nation! For now just dream about it.

1. Ryan S. says:

Hey Slappy, please give me one example of what he’s done for humanity that is above and beyond what any other local athlete has done. Oh, that’s what I thought, couldn’t come up with anything huh? You my friend, are a moron.

2. Barb K says:

So Proud to have been Born in Pittsburgh!!!! No greater Fans than Piitsburgh Steeler Fan Hines & Kim Thank you for making Us Burgers so Proud.

41. PITTSBURGH BORN STEELER FAN says:

Trust me………I personally know beyond your wildest imagination. Moron…..maybe…….but don’t be judgemental unless you have first hand experinces. Once again I say he is above all else a great humanitarian. God bless him and all those who truely know him.

1. Ryan S. says:

Your adoration of this clown is, quite frankly, a bit disturbing.

42. Jeff says:

Get your Hines Ward Dancing Champion of the World shirts at Planet Pittsburgh in Wexford by the new Giant Eagle. Only $5.99

43. swin says:

Someone once pointed out that Ginger Rogers had to do everything that Fred Astaire did – only in high heels. Chelsea was not competing against Hines Ward, she was competing against Kym Johnson, who is a professional dancer. I would guess that many more women watch this show then men and who are they going to vote for, the attractive, smiling, and tearful man or a woman? And for the men who do watch this show, come on now, tell the truth, were you watching Hines or Kym?

My point is that the award should be determined by the judges, and real judges who themselves are professional dancers, and not these clowns they get on the show. And secondly, there should be two awards, for best male celebrity dancer and best female celebrity dancer – that way the competition is more on a level ground (or floor). Or perhaps, BOTH dance partners should be celebrities, and the only pros would be the coaches.

I am not saying any of this to detract from Hines’ performance. He had the furthest to go to get up to the level that he did. His tremendous work ethic, as illustrated so early on in his Steeler career, led to his achievement. One point, however, a 35 year old body battered by years of football, is stiff and sore and not able to do as many maneuvers in a graceful manner. It showed. At times you could almost see Hines grimace and feel some of his pain as he twisted and leaned over and tried to get his body to do things that have become much more difficult if not impossible.

44. Mark Z says:

FIXED COMPITION, THE FINALS WERE ALREADY SET. HINES WAS’NT THE BEST DANCER CHELSEY WAS. WHY DID SHE FINISH 3RD AND KIRTIE WAS STILL ON THE SHOW SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GONE WEEKS AGO. DOES’NTABC OWN DISNEY. IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR A DISNEY ACTOR OR ACTRESS IS ON THE SHOW THEY DON’T WIN. B.R. CYRUS 6TH. CODY LINDLEY 4TH KYLE MASSEY 2ND AND CHELSEY KANE 3RD.

45. Steeler Fan says:

Since there will not e an NFL season this year, maybe all the veteran players can go on DWS and stay in shape.

46. Still-wers says:

Kirsty is fat,Heinz is gay,Ben is a rapist

1. STEELER NATION IN FLORIDA says:

AND YOU’RE AN IDIOT!

47. millie says:

millie, hines has built several school inkorea especially fo children of mixed races who have been mostly ignoed by the general population. I detest the evil things folks have been saying about him. He is a hero in more ways than one.. He has danced with bad legs and a pretty beat up body. He deserved to win . The others were good, just not good enough. Go Hines, we the faithful are behind you all the way. go Steelers

Comments are closed.