Chef Bill Fuller: Philippine Spring Rolls
This week, Chef Bill Fuller, of the big Burrito Group, stops by the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen, with another tasty recipe – Philippine Spring Rolls!
Philippine Spring Rolls
1 # Small shrimp
1 ea. Clove garlic, sliced
1 Tbs.Soy Sauce
Lettuce leaves, cleaned
12 ea. Slices Pork Belly, browned
Green beans, blanched
1. Heat skillet over high heat. Sauté shrimp with garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Place wrapper on plate. Add lettuce leaf.
3. Place ingredients inside.
4. Roll, dip, and eat!
3 ea. Eggs
2 Tbs. Peanut oil
1 C. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Salt
1 C Water (or a little more)
1. Whisk eggs into cooking oil.
2. Add cornstarch, water, and salt. Mix well.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
4. Add a touch of oil. Pour in a little batter and swirl around the pan.
5. Cook until done but not browned. Flip.
6. Remove to a plate. Repeat.
7. Should make about a dozen wrappers.
Braised Pork Pelly – should be done at least the day before
2 # fresh pork belly
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. ground Szechuan peppercorns
¼ C. yellow onions, rough chopped
3 ea. Garlic cloves, peeled
½ C. pineapple juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
¼ C. water
1. Score the fat on the pork belly.
2. Season generously with the salt, sugar, and Szechuan peppercorn.
3. Place on a rack in a pan in refrigerator overnight.
4. Remove from rack and place atop onions and garlic in roasting pan. Place in preheated 450º oven. Roast until golden brown.
5. Add remaining ingredients to pan.
6. Cover pan with foil. Reduce heat to 300º. Return pan to oven and allow to cook for two hours, or until tender.
7. Remove from oven and let the cool completely in the liquid. Refrigerate.
8. Remove and slice
1 C. Chicken stock
¼ C. Brown sugar
¼ C. Soy sauce
2 Tbs. Corn starch
½ C. Cold water
Soy sauce and black pepper to taste
2 ea. Garlic cloves, minced
1. Combine stock, sugar, and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer.
2. Combine cornstarch with water. Stir into simmering sauce.
3. Allow to cook for a few minutes until thick. Adjust seasonings and pour into bowl.
4. Sprinkle with minced garlic.