Bethel Park Man Burned While Using Floor Stripper

BETHEL PARK (KDKA) — A man suffered burns while using chemicals in his basement.

Bethel Park police say the man is in his late 50’s. He was using some kind of floor stripper.

The fumes built up in his basement of his Andrea Drive home.

“He was using some type of a floor stripper to strip off the floor that was in the basement – he was working in the basement area,” Bethel Park Fire Chief Dan Moore said. “Apparently he had the place closed up pretty tight and the fumes got back to the hot water tank and they ignited.”

The man was home alone and ran across the street to his neighbors for help.

“He just came over and banged on the door and I thought it was the kids and he said, ‘Help me!’ and I called 911 immediately,” Lori Potts, a neighbor, said.

She says her son kept the man calm until the ambulance arrived.

KDKA’s David Highfield reports the man has second and third degree burns to his arms and upper body.

Firefighters say there was a considerable fire in the basement. The man’s home also has smoke damage.

He was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital.

More Local News
More Bethel Park News

KDKA On Facebook
KDKA On Twitter
Follow KDKA Personalities

More from David Highfield
  • Anonymous

    do you think the pilot light on the hotter heater might have something to do with it?

    • grmmrrus

      No. But the pilot light on the water heater may have.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Bringing You The Best in Sports Talk Radio
Download And Win Today!

Listen Live