PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — PennDOT has closed the Route 48 Boston Bridge that links Versailles Borough and Elizabeth Township.
PennDOT Spokesman Jim Struzzi says the $17 million project is the first real work done on the 80-year-old bridge.
Since there are no nearby bridges, the more than 17,000 drivers who use it every day will have a long detour until late September.
Here is the detour:
Northbound Route 48
- Take Route 48(Boston Hollow Road) south to Finney Road (Route 2025)
- Make right and follow Finney Road west
- Finney Road becomes Liberty Way (Route 2023)
- Continue to follow Liberty Way northwest
- Turn left on Washington Boulevard (Route 2021)
- Follow to Fifth Avenue and turn right
- Cross the Fifth Avenue/Jerome Street Bridge in McKeesport
- Turn right onto Route 148 (Walnut Street) and follow back to Route 48/Boston Bridge
- Same detour in opposite direction
Large truck detour:
- Take Route 48 (Boston Hollow Road) south to Route 51
- Take Route 51 north to Route 837
- Follow Route 837 north to McKeesport-Duquesne Bridge
- Make right and cross bridge
- Make right onto Fifth Avenue in McKeesport
- Turn right onto Route 148 and follow back to Route 48/Boston Bridge
- From Route 148 in McKeesport, cross McKeesport-Duquesne Bridge
- Turn left right onto southbound Route 837
- Follow southbound Route 837 to Route 51 north
- Continue on Route 51 north to Ridge Road exit
- Take off ramp and turn left onto Ridge Road
- Cross over Route 51 and take on-ramp to Route 51 south
- Follow Route 51 south to Route 48
- Make left onto Route 48 and continue north back to Boston Bridge
Local residents are advised to consider alternate routes.