DEA Agents Raid Wrong Home In Garfield

GARFIELD (KDKA) – Drug enforcement agents raided a home in Garfield Thursday morning.

The family inside was scared, especially considering they weren’t who the agents were after.

The incident happened around 7:30 a.m. on Schenley Street.

Everyone was still asleep inside the Jackson family home until DEA agents showed up with an arrest warrant.

“We woke up to yelling, ‘Open the door, open the door police! Open up!’ My boyfriend jumps up, unlocks the door, they come barging in. Guns were drawn, they had shields,” Dyionne Jackson said.

“They told me to get down on my knees and put my hands on my head,” Keymon Jackson said.

The problem was that the arrest warrant was not for anyone inside the home. When agents came in with their guns drawn, there were several small children inside, including a baby.

“They just pointed their guns at me and my brother,” Chandon Jackson.

The DEA said they did execute several arrest warrants on Thursday, but would not comment on the specific cases.

KDKA-TV’s Lynne Hayes-Freeland was told that agents generally go on scene, secure the scene, protect the agents and any civilians on scene. At that point, they will execute the warrant.

However, that’s not what it seemed like for the family who found themselves in the middle of a search for a man they had never seen before.

“It’s a violation of our civil liberties at this point. They didn’t really apologize. It was a half-hearted apology like, ‘Sorry, mistake,’” one man said.

RELATED LINKS

More Local News
More Garfield News
More Reports From Lynne Hayes-Freeland

More from Lynne Hayes-Freeland
Comments

1. joe says:

stupit, stupid and stupid don’t they do there homework, i hope they sue them!!

1. Klaatu says:

DEA CHECK LIST:

1. GI JOE OUTFITS……check
      2. synchronize watches….check
      3. guns drawn …check
      4. big loud mouths to yell with….check

5. verify adress…..uhhhhhhhhhh….nope

1. Anonymous says:

atleast they didnt kill the family pet. these people should be happy.

2. D says:

I’m actually a Fed myself but your comment cracked me up.

3. Anonymous says:

that is too funny….

2. Anonymous says:

No these people should be OUTRAGED. At a minimum a huge apology should be forthcoming from the people involved.

3. Anonymous says:

I am sure that there were all law abiding citizens in the house. . . . .

2. Susie Q says:

Stupid move on DEA’s part. I guess since it was the DEA they can just say sorry..wrong house. What if they did fire shots at this innocent family while they were on the floor trying to ask questions?

1. Anonymous says:

But they didn’t.

1. D says:

Correct they didn’t. They are people also so don’t just put them in the “Police” category. As a cop, we have to own up to our mistakes…unfortunately a lot of cops (local, state, federal) don’t. Sorry.

2. Anonymous says:

Its happened before so dont try to downplay Susie Q’s point.

2. Really says:

Who said they were innocent, just because it was not the correct house doesn’t mean “innocent.” This article reads like the begining of every other “I’m going to sue you article.” Aside from their comment to the media, who actually knows what took place at this home, none of us, so why are we back seat quarterbacking it.

3. Darren says:

Not to mention that if the homeowner would have shot and killed one of these agents as soon as they barged through the door they’d be looking at life in prison.

4. Anonymous says:

agents get shot and killed doing these raids, obviously they made a mistake, probably one out of thousands of raids, no one hurt, but lets run for a lawyer and sue everyone

1. Anon says:

So you’re saying gross negligence should be excused as well? It’s not binary, there is a gray area so get off of your high horse.

2. ladyofargonne says:

How much money would it take for the children involved not to be traumatized?
      I’m Jewish and although my family left Europe long before WWII I still have fears of Nazis kicking down the door. This would be a nightmore come true for me.

1. Anonymous says:

Grow up…times have changed.

2. fdadwa says:

>nazis
        >2011
        I seriously hope you don’t do this

3. Craziness says:

Then go see a psychiatrist, you did not experience WWll from the Jewish perspective in Europe and are really out of line associating these two events.

4. mair says:

Times have not changed , some of you want people who were enslaved and murdered to forget but it is a part of history and if you can get away with it today you will.

5. Darren says:

I guess it’s okay to point guns at innocent peoples’ heads, as long as nobody gets hurt.

1. woodzilla007 says:

BS – that’s known as “assault with a deadly weapon.” Give it a try yourself and find yourself arrested for a felony.

1. DifferentGuy says:

Ever hear of sarcasm?

6. colatoral damage says:

What did these people do all day? Sit around giving interviews to every moron reporter who showed up with a camera? Hey people ya’ll can get off the couch and gos to work…shows over….sorry we thought yoou were the real drug dealers but you aint gonna get no money

7. mark says:

people better wake up. Quit paying taxes. Lets all go not work for one week o thats right, sheep all of u hope they did not kill any pets. stupid pigs .

1. yellekbug says:

oh mark u hit it on the head. sheep. ppl don’t think where we r headed….

8. It's Me says:

Massive cut to education and every other beneficial program, but there’s money for this nonsense. When are you people going to get it; the prohibition of anything creates more problems than it solves. Prohibition is a scam, a farce that pulls the wool over the eyes of the not-so-bright, and keeps employed the otherwise unemployable. Forty years and a trillion dollars later, how’s prohibition effective again?

1. Dr. Watson says:

What are you talking about? Prohibition of what? And how is this relevant at all here?

1. Shoyu Wright says:

Perhaps prohibition of drugs is what is being discussed. It’s relevant here because if there weren’t a misguided, profit-driven war on drugs (read “war on the citizenry and our right to ingest that which we wish to as long as we don’t impose on others”), then this family wouldn’t have had the misinformed folks who came through their door do so.

But hey, if you believe that funding violent moltinational cartels and criminalizing folks who would otherwise never see the inside of a courtroom serves the greater good….

9. It's Me says:

LMFAO!!!!

10. D. Roberts says:

Wow…typical racist Pittsburgh reaction….and I am talking about the comments.

1. Dr. Watson says:

Agreed.

2. mair says:

SOOOOO TRUe D. Roberts

11. Anonymous says:

Wow…..just wow.

12. D. Roberts says:

Racist.

1. Anonymous says:

How is this racist?

2. Anonymous says:

How is this racist … explain yourself>

13. ramona barnhart says:

hope they sue the blank out of the dea. and maybe they had good jobs .

14. anna says:

dan, did it ever occur to you that not everyone has a 9-5 job ? Or have to work weekends, rather than Mon.-Fri.?

Duh! These people were terribly traumatized. I hope the DEA gets sued big time

15. Dr. Watson says:

And you know they don’t have jobs, how? It was 7:30 a.m. when this occurred. Their being asleep does not mean that they do not work and are on welfare. Talk about gross assumptions. Maybe if you had a job instead of welfare you would be working instead of making inane comments.

1. Couch Setten says:

I don’t think it was 7am when they were being interviewed. If it was they should have all been in they pajamas and they hair would be messed up

16. dc says:

well here we go again, how many houses and how many lifes have to be taken before people realize that this is wrong!!! yes i agree that the war on drugs is the biggest lie coming down the pike, and whether dea or feds have the rite house or not there r innocent people in these homes kids wifes, etc. this insanity has to stop, if they would of arrested my brother in law robert korbe outside the home my sister christina would not be in prison today for defending her children and her home!!!! THIS NEEDS TO STOP!!!!!!

17. Dan says:

dc better be glad I was not on the detail against your sister and family because I would have shot her white trash ass. I am not racist I hate the world and the human race equally.

1. Anonymous says:

Sounds like you hate yourself. Just become an animal then….LOL or end it all and be done with it……

2. Big Bad Bubba J says:

Why don’t you just chew on the business end of a .45? Make you AND everyone else happy.

18. Anonymous says:

All that funding they get and they can’t get correct/current information. I mean c’mon they are supposed to be one of the top law enforcement agencies and they cant get correct or even current info, Please…. i wonder if you would feel the same way if it was you and your family that was the subject of a WRONG HOUSE SEARCH FOR SOMEONE YOU DON’T KNOW And what does the homes condition have to do with anything. THEY were WRONG. Pray you never end up in a situation like that.

19. Klaatu says:

blah blah blah……you need to wake up….You must either be a cop or be married to one….so your opinion is not needed or wanted…No one is forced to be a cop, dont like it,,,,dont do it. They are the dregs of society, they murder innocent civilians, beat and torture people and for what reason….CUZ THEY CAN…

I especially like the “woke up in an unsavory manner”,,,…..wow really….you make me sick.

1. Anonymous says:

HAHA Klaatu! You are pathetic! Let me know where you are so if you ever need someone from law enforcement, they can just ignore the call! How very sad that you have that opinion of them, you must be into some illegal stuff and have had many, many dealings with them to think like that. Mybe if you lived right, you wouldn’t have so many problems!

2. blujava90 says:

HAHA Klaatu, It’s really sad that you have this opinion of law enforcement! Sounds like you have had several run-in’s with the law because of your illegal activites! Let’s hope you choose to find a decent, honest way to live and maybe your attitude will change

3. Anti-Klaatu says:

Klaatu…you are a poor, lost soul. Burn in hell? Most likely.

20. John - IL says:

It’s amazing the number of times the Police/DEA/etc. have the worng information & do something like this. Unacceptable! You know, if I was ignorant of something, like a law, the police would say “Ignorance is not justification”. So Police, your ignorance is not a justification for getting the wrong house. I’m sure glad we allowed these morons to create a para-military state. The Land of the Free my arse!

21. SAnonymous says:

They should definetly apologiize. I don’t understand how they can do this to the wrong house??? Were they drunk???

22. Burghnerdman says:

I am all for the DEA conducting proper searches. However, don’t you think they might want to double check there sources and addresses first. The question you want too ask yourselves is this. “Who was the Judge that signed the warrent in the first place?” There must be a warrent, before anything like this is conducted. It is our Civil Right. Leave race out of it. That has no relavency with this. We are all Americans, we all have the same rights. Half the population does’nt know that though. They are not in school to learn what they are. Not a race issue, it is a stupity issue.

23. evelyn says:

According to the statistics, whites form the largest racial group on welfare; half of all welfare recipients leave in the first two years; and teenagers form less than 8 percent of all welfare mothers.
    Here are the statistics on welfare recipients:
    Traits of families on AFDC (1)
    Race

——————-
    One 43.2%
    Two 30.7
    Three 15.8
    Four or more 10.3

1. HP says:

Maybe whites are the majority on welfare, but they make up the majority of the population. By percentage, blacks far exceed the ratio. They make up 37% of the welfare population, but only 12.6% of the US population.

1. Anonymous says:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Evelyn, it’s not always about race!

2. mair says:

It’s not?

24. EVELYN says:

I TRULY HOPE THIS HAPPENS TO U, YOUR CHILDREN, YOUR PARENTS AND EVERYONE DEAR TO U SO U CAN ALL ENJOY THE “UNSAVORYNESS” TOGEHTER.
    AFTER ALL THAT DRAMA GET YOURSELF DRESSED AND GO TO WORK LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPEND BECAUSE THE dea WAS JUST DOING THEIR JOB.

25. The Majority says:

Excuse me but the obvious question here is; who is saying the DEA had the wrong house? The people in the house? The media who rarely gets the facts straight and would prefer to stir controversy to sell advertisements, who have mesmerized sheep as viewers who take everything they report as fact?

The DEA never said they had the wrong house. Why should they? Maybe the investigation prohibits them to comment. All the intelligence at their disposal and they go the wrong house? I seriously doubt that. And by the way, who says they have to say anything to the media? Since when are they a court of law?

Here’s something to think about: Odd how the “boyfriend” refused to give his name for the news report. I’m sure there was a legitimate reason for that. (right)

Wake up and think for yourselves. Stop letting the media think for you. They only care about one thing…profit. Maybe we should focus more on those terrorizing our neighborhoods and the young people killing each other on our streets.

1. Anonymous says:

Finally a voice of reason. Another fine example of irresponsible and unexcusable journalism. KDKA should be ashamed for not getting ALL the facts before submitting this report. Maybe the DEA should sue KDKA.

2. Dr RD says:

Finally a voice of reason. Just another example of irresponsible and unexcusable journalisim. KDKA should have had ALL the facts before submitting this report. Maybe DEA should sue KDKA.

1. Dr RD says:

Sorry for the double post. Not used to doing this but absolutely had to comment.

3. Anonymous says:

Yeah whatever “The majority.” You sound like a typical big government loving Neo- Con. The police and DEA have raided PLENTY of wrong houses in botched raids in previous months & years. Just one particular raid I recall was in Atlanta in 2006 where they raided the wrong house and shot & killed a 92 yr old lady. Google it if you don’t believe me. I didn’t realize that terrorizing innocent people was a way of preventing young people from killing each other on our streets!! I think you need to wake up already!!

26. Dubliner says:

I agree blujava90….. Kudos to law enforcement officers nationwide. Mistakes do happen. Such is life.

27. enough already says:

Come on! The day that you want to go out and put your neck on the line to keep us safe … is the day you can sit in judgement of these officers. It was unfortunate, but no one was hurt. Move on.

28. Anonymous says:

Put that in you pipe and smoke it, Evelyn. It’s not always about race.

29. JKelly says:

You are joking, right? If someone came barging into my house while I was still asleep I don’t care WHAT they are yelling (since any thug can yell they are police) … I have never ever had trouble with the law and would open up immediately with a firearm. It is a big deal, moron (or should I say pig or pig-poker). People are sick and tired of gestapo tactics by people with no education (that’s a joke right there, let’s arm people and give them unlimited power and require no higher degree b/c most are too dumb to get it).

30. Mouser says:

I got raided last week by the US Marshals looking for one of my borders wife who doesn’t live here, but visits him occasionally.

I stepped outside as I saw them cross my window.

They refused to show me the arrest warrant and threatened to break down my door and I also had a 23 year old female boarder with her father which had spent the night and I was concerned about their safety.

They violated my civil rights and did their best to intimidate me.

What have we become? a third world country?

Mouser -> Morgan county WV.

31. Anonymous says:

Do some research. in 1973 BNDD (Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs) raided 7 houses in Collinville IN, ALL were the wrong houses, thus they disbanded the BNDD and created the DEA using the SAME people that worked for the BNDD. I was working as a State Narcotics Agent at the time and worked with the DNDD/DEA people. Trust me this is 100% true. It appears that the DEA is still using the old DNDD procedures.

32. Anonymous says:

Well i do believe here only be one way to solve them here;s problums. A rope , a tree, a shotgun and a bottle of toilet cleanr.

33. Fricsaid says:

At least they didn’t kill anyone.

34. bt68 says: