Poplawski To Reporters: ‘I’ll Be Back’
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Convicted cop-killer Richard Poplawski was in court on Tuesday to be sentenced on other charges stemming from the the tragic 2009 incident in Stanton Heights.
In June, he was convicted in the 2009 shooting deaths of Pittsburgh Police Officers Steven Mayhle, Paul Sciullo II and Eric Kelly in Stanton Heights.
The jury recommended the death penalty, but Poplawski’s lawyers will appeal both the verdict and the sentence.
As he was being escorted into the courtroom, Poplawski told reporters, “This is far from over. I’ll be back.”
As he proceeded down the hallway, NewsRadio 1020 KDKA asked him if he had anything to say to the families. Poplawski responded, “I’m sorry.”
He was in court to be sentenced on other charges including attempted homicide and assault. The judge sentenced him to get 85 to 190 years in addition to death.
The judge saw a videotape of Poplawski being restrained at the Allegheny County Jail. Poplawski was naked and ranting after refusing to move to another cell as prescribed by a jail doctor.
The video was not introduced at trial, but was introduced today because prosecutors said it is relevant and that he showed no remorse.
Police also claim Poplawski said he would do it all again if he had the chance.
Poplawski’s lawyers previously have said the death penalty should be set aside because it is cruel and unusual punishment and no longer appropriate in a “decent and matured society.”
The home in Stanton Heights was set to be on the auction block Tuesday for failure to pay back taxes. However, the sale has been postponed until October.
Stay With KDKA.com For More Details