Man Convicted In Violent Chase Sentenced To 50-100 Years
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The Homewood man accused of leading police on a high-speed chase that seriously injured two Pittsburgh police officers was in court today for his sentencing.
In June, a jury returned a mixed verdict in the trial of Sean Wright. The 22-year-old was found guilty of attempted homicide and assault charges for running over two detectives during the 15 mile pursuit. However, he faced the same charges for injuries to five other officers, but was acquitted on the attempted criminal homicide charges. But he was found guilty of aggravated assault.
Today in court, Wright was sentenced to 50 to 100 years in prison.
Police arrested Wright last year for the pursuit that began in Garfield and ended in a violent crash in Monroeville. At the time, Wright claimed his car was to blame.
An accident reconstruction expert, however, concluded that Wright made no attempt to stop his vehicle and intentionally rammed police cars and police officers.
During today’s sentencing, Judge Edward Borkowski said Wright’s actions had a “significant, profound and enduring affect” on those who were injured.
One of the injured officers, Detective Brian Johnson, still walks with a cane and isn’t sure when or if he can return to police work.
During an emotional victim impact statement, Johnson said, “If Wright were to get out of jail on a Monday, there would be another victim on Tuesday.”
Wright told the judge he was under the influence of drugs during the chase.
Wright also pleaded guilty to additional charges of threatening a jail guard while incarcerated.