Mayor Ravenstahl Outraged By Ticketed Fire Trucks

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — There’s fallout following a KDKA Investigation.

The mayor of Pittsburgh is outraged by the ticketing of fire trucks.

The trucks were tagged outside City Hall while firefighters were inside getting flu shots.

“We certainly have a lot more important things to worry about than a fire truck that’s parked for five minutes on a city street,” Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, D-Pittsburgh, said.

The fire trucks were parked in spaces reserved for councilmembers.

Firefighters tell KDKA’s Marty Griffin that City Council President Darlene Harris asked one truck to move and the police officer followed with her ticket book. The council president says she had nothing to do with it.

“It’s really silly,” Ravenstahl said. “And when I was first briefed on it, I didn’t believe that it happened. I couldn’t believe that somebody would actually ticket a fire truck especially when we’re encouraging them to get a flu shot and stay healthy.”

The matter will end up in court with Fire Chief Darryl Jones testifying on behalf of his men.

“This one is on me,” Jones said. “I did send the ticket in for a court hearing date and I will ask the judge for some leniency on this.”

It’s not a criminal matter. It’s a parking ticket. The possible fine is under $100, but there will be a hearing and there will be possible testimony and if the judge rules in favor of the city against the city, someone will have to pay the fine.

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
City of Pittsburgh

More from Marty Griffin
Comments

1. Tish says:

If it were me I would get a ticket….so wjhy should the city get free parking when the rest of us taxpayers DON’T. Then the taxpayers also pay to have a firetruck driven to get a flu shot….haven’t they ever heard of a car? . Yet the mayor is outraged…WHY?

2. Jon says:

Agree Tish…Who the hell do these firefighters think they are?? They were illegally parked thus the ticket writer was doing was she is getting paid to do and that is to write tickets for those who are illegally parked…

3. Lynyrd says:

Darlene Harris was nothing but trouble when she was on the pgh school board.
    She had security guards go shopping for her. She acted as though the guards were her personal chauffeur’s. She had shady dealings in Pgh schools.
    Now look what she does on this level what a joke that she is in this position.

4. Andrea says:

You have got to be kidding…these democrats are a joke. It is so sad.. taxes are so high in this city…for what????

5. Wendy says:

This is a joke and should never have been made into a News story………..the ticket will be thrown out and the judge will tell the cop to use her brain next flu season

6. John Valentine says:

The mayor is wrong here. The Firefighters should have used common sense and not parked in the reserved space. . It obvious that the Fire Department called KDKA to run the story and garner sympathy for what happend.

The can’t just park wherever they want because they’re firefighters.

1. Jean says:

I agree John, if ot were you or I getting our flu shots we would have gotten a ticket. They dont get my sympathy.

7. REALLY? says:

Get your flu shot on your own time and by using YOUR OWN vehicle. We “real folks” go to CVS or Giant Eagle or wherever on a Saturday on our OWN time, not on the backs of our employers, or in this case, the TAXPAYING PUBLIC. What nerve.

8. B. Joel says:

Give them a break. That burning building that you would run terrified from. They’re the guys running into it to save your life. They can park on the moon for all I care. And stop removing my comments, others have written ten times worse things and you keep it on the site.

1. B. Joel says:

Oh I guess you only want to keep the ones that don’t support the fire fighters, great community support KDKA.

Comments are closed.