kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

3 Injured In Indiana Co. Fire

View Comments
(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WEST MAHONING (KDKA) – An Amish man and his two little boys were flown to the hospital after they were burned in an explosion and fire.at their home in Indiana County.

According to officials, the fire happened on Griffith Road in West Mahoning.

Fire investigators said the father was lighting a stove when it exploded and burst into flames.

A father and his two boys, ages 4 and 5, suffered third-degree burns over much of their bodies.

The fire chief said the scene was devastating.

“He was using kerosene to light the fire in his wood stove and it flash-pointed and come back out and that’s how they got burned the three of them. The kids were beside him when he was lighting the stove on fire,” Chief Joe Brendle said.

A neighbor tried to calm other family members in the chaotic aftermath.

“The father was burned severely. One of the ladies that — I guess she’s the lady that came down to make the call – she said he was standing outside with his clothes burned off,” Clifford Griffith said.

For the 40 firefighters who battled the blaze, it was a tough and emotional night.

All three victims were last listed in critical condition at UPMC Mercy Hospital and West Penn Hospital.

RELATED LINKS

More Local News
More Indiana County News
More Reports From Kym Gable

View Comments