JEFFERSON HILLS (KDKA) — Three weeks after the armored truck heist and murder, the suspect, Ken Konias, Jr., remains at large.

On Wednesday, his parents, with their attorney, Charles LoPresti, made a public plea to their son from their lawyer’s office in Jefferson Hills.

For 22 days now, Konias has remained elusive. He’s on the FBI’s Most Wanted List and the subject of a nationwide manhunt.

“Ken, we want you to come home,” Renee Konias, the suspect’s mother, said. “Please contact me.”

KDKA’s Harold Hayes reports:

Konias’ father declined to speak publicly.

At the beginning of the press conference, LoPresti read from a prepared statement.

“First and foremost, the Konias family would like to extend their deepest and most sincere prayers and condolences to the family and friends of Michael Haines. There are no excuses, nor is there any rationale that justifies the taking or the loss of human life.

“To that end and with regard to their son, Ken, please Ken, or anyone with knowledge of his whereabouts, listen carefully. Please do the right thing at once. Please know that your parents are not being forced by anyone to make this statement and they ask you to turn yourself in immediately so that the safety of yourself and everyone else concerned searching for you can be assured.

KDKA’s Ralph Iannotti reports:

“I’ve been asked to make this statement because they know that you trust me. Too much time has passed now. You must do the right thing for your sake, for your family’s sake and for the sake of all of the people that you know. You must make the effort immediately to contact your mother on her cell phone or home phone number or call my office and with my assistants we can make the necessary arrangements to bring you home safely and back home so that no one is harmed in the continuing national search effort for you.

“Your parents have been through enough. Everyone one involved has suffered greatly. The time to come home is now. Please listen to your parents and contact them immediately so this nightmare can come to an end.”

LoPresti said they were not pressured by police. Detective Peg Sherwood, a member of the special task force for this case, said she hoped the appeal would be helpful in the search.

More than $250,000 of the money has been recovered.

KDKA’s Heather Abraham reports:

Other Stories Related to this Case
More Local News
More Reports by Harold Hayes

Watch & Listen LIVE