PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) — Not a single Pitt player was taken in the 2012 NFL Draft — the first time since 1999 that the program has been shut out in the draft.
However, several were signed to free agent contracts just hours after the draft ended.
The most interesting of which for Pittsburghers is probably defensive end Brandon Lindsey, who signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers. There’s no doubt his draft stock was hampered by playing in Todd Graham’s system.
Lindsey was forced to move between playing upright as a linebacker and in a stance as a defensive lineman on a regular basis. He didn’t have a true position in Graham’s defense, and in turn his numbers suffered.
Nevertheless, Lindsey was a guy that was highly regarded as a pass rusher in the Big East. Time will tell what position the Steelers will try to use Lindsey in, but I’d think he’d be a project type of player at outside linebacker.
Here are some other Pitt players that signed free agent contracts with NFL teams:
- Offensive lineman Lucas Nix signed with the Oakland Raiders.
- Defensive lineman Chas Alecxih signed with the Miami Dolphins.
- Linebacker Max Gruder signed with the Atlanta Falcons.
- Defensive back Buddy Jackson signed with the Indianapolis Colts.
- Linebacker Greg Williams signed with the Houston Texans.
- Defensive back Antwuan Reed signed with the Cleveland Browns.
Chris Gates | Area 4-1-Zoo Blog