Chef Bill Fuller: Grilled Steak Salad
Chef Bill Fuller, of the big Burrito Group, is back in the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen with a delicious recipe for a Grilled Steak Salad with avocados, tomatoes and chilis.
Grilled Steak Salad with Avocados, Tomatoes & Chilis
2 ea. Flank steaks, about 2#
2-3 Tbs. Olive oil
2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1-2 Tbs. Ground black pepper
Salt and pepper
1 ea. Big cloves of garlic, a nice hot hard-neck variety like Russian
Juice of 2 limes
2 Tbs. Fish Sauce
1 ea. Jalapeno chilis sliced thinly into tiny rings
½ bu. Arugula
2-3 ea. Perfectly ripe eating tomatoes
1-2 ea. Perfectly ripe avocados
2-3 Tbs Chopped cilantro
1. Rub steaks with olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Allow meat to come to room temperature.
2. Pre-heat grill and get coals nice and hot.
3. Grill steaks to medium. Flank can be tough rare and well done. Set aside to rest for five to ten minutes.
4. Peel and slice the garlic as thinly as you can. Add lime juice, fish sauce, and chilis. Whisk together. The dressing should be pungent, sour, a little salty, and a little spicy. Adjust fish sauce and/or lime juice to make the dressing tasty.
5. Core and slice the tomatoes. Peel, pit, and slice the avocados. Arrange them on top of the arugula on an attractive platter.
6. Slice the flank steak across the grain and arrange nicely atop the salad.
7. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with cilantro.
2 ea. Limes, quartered
1 Tbs. Sugar
1 C. Cubed watermelon
4 oz. Cachaca
1. Place lime wedges and sugar into a pint mason jar.
2. Muddle well to make a paste.
3. Add watermelon. Smash it well.
4. Top with Ice. Add cachaca.
5. Screw on top, shake well.
6. Pour into glasses.