Bella Sera Recipe: Butternut Squash Bisque
Be sure to try out this great recipe from Bella Sera in your home today!
Healthier Butternut Squash Bisque
- 1 med. onion, diced small, about ½ cup
- 6 cups butternut squash (about 2 large), peeled, seeded, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive or canola oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root, grated or minced
- 6 oz light or low-fat sour cream or half & half
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
- Kosher or Sea Salt (to taste)
- White pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
Heat heavy bottom stock pot over medium high heat, add oil then butter until melted completely.
Add onion and stir, cook until tender and translucent. Add squash, stir occasionally, reduce heat slightly, for about 7-8 minutes.
Add ginger, cook another 1-2 minutes. Add honey and three cups of stock.
Cover and simmer at low temperature for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, uncover, let stand about 10 minutes.
Place in blender (or use immersion blender), puree until smooth. Return to pot, add sour cream or half/half, bring to low simmer.
Add in remaining stock to reach desired thickness.
Pour into serving bowl(s) and top with grated nutmeg.