kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

Friends Of 40 Years Found Dead In Clairton Home

Christine D'Antonio reporting
(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Police are investigating after two people were found dead inside a Clairton home Saturday night.

They were found at a home in the 300-block of Mitchell Avenue.

Police say they were called when no one had heard from 56-year-old William Chapman and his childhood friend Gary Townsend since Friday.

Chapman and Townsend were found dead in the home around 5 p.m. Saturday.

“I miss him already,” Chapman’s sister Shirley Sanders said. “That’s why everybody kept calling. And it was funny for him not to answer, you know, his cell phone or his regular house phone, so we called one another to make sure and see was he OK and that’s when we found out everything wasn’t right.”

Chapman had come home from the hospital Friday and his friend of 40 years, Townsend, went to the house likely to keep him company.

Police say the furnace in Chapman’s house was broken and that the two men appear to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters said the house did not have a carbon monoxide detector and when they went in, they had to wear specialized gear. They say the carbon monoxide levels were 50 times the normal level.

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
More Police News

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,120 other followers