EVANS CITY (KDKA) – Firefighters worked to put out a fire at a mobile home in Evans City Friday morning.

The blaze was reported just after 10:30 a.m. Friday at a trailer park on Pioneer Road.

Only the family dog was home when the flames broke out.

A neighbor and a letter carrier passing by saw the flames. They started breaking windows to see if anyone was inside.

The dog was saved, but Cindy Pearce and her family lost everything else in the home.

“It hasn’t sunk in yet,” said Pearce, the homeowner. “They thought me and my daughter were inside. They didn’t know we were at the doctors.”

“It was probably 20, 25 minutes into the fire that I spoke to the homeowner,” Evans City Fire Department Chief Mark Adomaitis said.

Investigators say they think the fire began in the kitchen.

Pearce says she only remembers leaving the dishwasher running.

Butler County fire officials and State Police were called to the scene to investigate.

The trailer and the family’s possessions were destroyed in the fire.

More Local News
More Police News

Watch & Listen LIVE