If you’re looking for some great new recipes, be sure to try out these two from the Giant Eagle Market District!
BEEF SHORT RIBS
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2-3 hours
- 12 beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ¾ cup onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Flour, as needed
- 1 pt red wine
- ¼ cup bacon, diced
- 3 cups beef stock
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven 300°F.
2. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shake off excess.
3. Heat oil in a roasting pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. Carefully sear ribs on all sides. Remove ribs from pan and reserve.
4. Drain off excess oil and add bacon, onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and bacon is mostly cooked.
5. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Be careful not to burn the paste mixture.
6. Deglaze the pan with red wine. Reduce liquid by half.
7. Add meat back to pan and add stock, thyme and rosemary.
8. Cover pan with lid or aluminum foil. Cook until ribs are tender, about 2 ½ – 3 hours.
9. When ribs are fork tender, transfer ribs to a plate. Strain sauce into a saucepot and reduce. Season to taste.
• Ribs can be served over risotto or soft polenta.
WILD MUSHROOM RISOTTO
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ medium onion, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12oz mixed wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 quart chicken stock, warmed
- 1 lb. parmesan cheese, shredded
- 8oz mascarpone cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes then add sliced mushrooms. Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms soft.
2. Mix in rice and stir to coat. Toast rice for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
3. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until absorbed. Add stock one cup at a time, stirring, until absorbed and rice is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
4. Stir in parmesan cheese and mascarpone and season with salt and pepper.