LAKELAND, Fla. (93-7 THE FAN) — It was tough enough for Pittsburgh fans to watch the Baltimore Ravens win the Super Bowl with Ray Lewis front and center; but with Pittsburgh playing the Tigers in Lakeland, Fla., on Saturday, it was Ray Lewis Day for the Lakeland native at Joker Marchant Stadium.
The PA guy read a three-minute introduction for Lewis whose 45 mph heater didn’t make it to home plate.
The game time temperature was 57 with a brisk wind blowing out to right-center, and tomorrow is supposed to be colder.
As for the game itself:
- Starting pitcher Jeanmar Gomez allowed 4 runs in 3 innings so his ERA actually went down – from 27.00 to 16.62
- Det 3B Miguel Cabrera HRed into wind to RCF off Gomez … regular season vs. Gomez Cabrera is 5-13, 2 HRs 2 2Bs .. 2.667 OPS
- Mike Zagurski, Mark Melancon and Jared Hughes followed with 1-2-3 innings.
- Zagurski sawed off Tyler Collins and the barrel of the bat nearly hit 1B Clint Robinson but Robinson fielded the ball and threw to Zagurski for the out … Zagurski struck out the other 2 hitters he faced
- Melancon pitched to the top of the order and got Cabrera on a routine 5-3 to end the inning
- Catcher Russell Martin returned to the lineup as a DH … was 0-3 with a walk … Martin ripped a ball between third and short but Cabrera made a diving stop
- When asked about Saturday night’s Penguins-Canadiens game, Montreal native Martin showed his political saavy by picking his hometown team to win in OT so “Pittsburgh still gets a point.”
- Starling Marte played LF and went 2-for-3 and after one of his hits was doubled off first on Alex Presley’s pop up
After the game, Clint Hurdle suggested that Martin could catch Sunday vs. Houston but Martin said he isn’t ready.
“I know my swing felt fine,” Martin explained. “As far as throwing, I took another day because I feel like it’s still early March and I feel like I don’t need rush anything.”
Martin said he’d communicate that to his manager.