PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Firefighters are putting out hot spots, and say faulty electrical wiring appears to be the cause of a massive 5-alarm Oakland fire.
It started before 8 a.m. in the 500-block of Zulema Street, near Wellsford Street and Nimrod Way.
Officials say the third floor was fully consumed and lots of fire and smoke were showing from the roof, which eventually collapsed.
The building is said to house six apartments, mostly college students, and all of them managed to get out of the building unhurt.
Charlie Cope lives at the building, and said, “there was black smoke, so I knew nobody could see, and I had a flashlight on my phone to try and help people get out of the building.
Arson investigators are on the scene, and say the cause was faulty electrical wiring in the basement.
A total of 16 people are being helped with clothing, and a place to stay.