BRADDOCK (KDKA) – A Braddock home went up in flames Friday morning with two people inside. But thanks to some quick-thinking neighbors, no one was hurt.

Neighbors on Holland Avenue near Fleet Street started seeing the heavy smoke and flames just after 9:30 a.m., and what some did next helped a man and his grandson make it out safely.

Neighbors jumped into action when they saw the flames coming from Franklin Noonan’s house.

Noonan and his grandson were inside their home this morning when it caught fire.

“Seen thick, thick black smoke just coming up, pouring up out the house,” said Elizabeth Mathews, a neighbor.

“I heard a pow, pow. I thought it was a gunshot, honestly,” said Robert Miller, another neighbor.

But the sound neighbors really heard were electrical lines popping near the house. It was all caught on home video by another neighbor.

“We went into the house; we started screaming at the top of our lungs for our neighbors to come out the house,” said Miller. “Thank God there was only two in there, and we got them out. It was crazy, so fast paced.”

The front of the home was fully engulfed when fire crews got there, and those electrical lines might be to blame.

“Something on the telephone pole exploded and the fire came over on my porch. That’s how it started,” Noonan said.

But luckily for Noonan, neighbors came to the rescue of the man they all call the “granddad of Fleet Street.”

Duquesne Light officials met with the fire marshal to see if there were problems with the lines that might have started the fire.

The surge in water lines as crews battled the flames caused a water main break there on Fleet Street. But the fire chief says it did not hinder their efforts fighting the flames.

More Local News
More Police News

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Get The All New CBS Local App
KDKA Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE