Rania Harris stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live today to show off three delicious recipes that are perfect for a bridal shower or a baby shower!
Crab Salad in Belgian Endive
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup mayonnaise (or more if needed to blend)
- 1# fresh jumbo lump crab meat – picked over for any cartilage
- ¾ cup diced celery
- Salt and freshly ground pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- 24 Belgian endive leaves
In a bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, tarragon, chives, parsley, mustard and mayonnaise. Mix well. Stir in the crab and celery and season with the salt, pepper and cayenne. Cover and chill for up to 6 hours.
To serve: Spoon the crab mixture into the endive leaves and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours to firm up the filling. Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with a tomato or lemon rose.
Yield: Approximately 24
Pineapple Mint Julep
- 4 ounces Maker’s Mark bourbon
- 2 ounces mint syrup
- 1 ounce fresh pineapple juice
- Sprigs of mint, to garnish
- Sugar swizzle stick, to serve (optional)
- Mint Syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 15-20 sprigs mint
To make the Mint Syrup, put 2 cups water and the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the mint and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, leaving the mint sprigs in the syrup. When completely cool, strain the syrup. Store in a sealable container in the refrigerator. It will keep for two weeks.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all the ingredients and shake just to chill. Strain over crushed ice into a glass, such as an old-fashioned. Garnish with a large sprig of mint and add a sugar swizzle stick.
Makes 1 drink
Almond Cake with Pink Mascarpone Cream
- 8 ounces almond paste
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, or Amaretto
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Balsamic-marinated strawberries and candied orange peel, to garnish (optional)
- 8-inch cake pan, lightly buttered and floured
- For the Pink Mascarpone Cream:
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier
- ¼ cup pureed raspberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups whipped cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the cake, put the almond paste, butter, and sugar in a bowl and mix. One at a time, beat in the eggs, followed by the lemon zest and Grand Marnier. Sift the flour and baking powder together, and add to the almond mixture until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a rack before removing the cake from the pan.
To make the Mascarpone Cream:
Beat together the mascarpone, sugar, Grand Marnier, pureed raspberries, and orange zest until well combined and fluffy. Fold in the whipped cream. When ready to serve, spoon onto slices of the cake and garnish with strawberries and candied orange peel.
Makes 1 large cake