PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Firefighters worked to put out a blaze in Robinson Township early Friday morning.

It started around 4:30 a.m. at a condo building on Kenzie Road, reportedly on a second floor.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and four of the condos appear to be damaged by the fire. Three of the four condos were rented.

Residents say it was a scary situation as their homes became filled with smoke.

“Definitely the scariest moment in my life,” said resident Ross Thompson who lost everything in the fire.

Thompson said all he grabbed was his wallet and his cat.

A family who lives below the condo that is believed to be where the fire started said it was mostly contained to a porch area. A fire officials said it’s preliminary, but it looks like the fire may have been started by candles that were left out on the balcony.

“As soon as I smelled smoke … I actually started panicking, and just like didn’t even known what to do,” Thompson said. “I was like, let’s just go out my window, ’cause I didn’t know if our living room was on fire. You don’t know when there’s smoke.”

The property manager tells KDKA the residents have a tight-knit community and are already planning on collecting donations to help the affected families.

The Red Cross says it is helping 13 adults and two children with food, clothing and shelter.

More Local News
More Police News

Watch & Listen LIVE