Summer is a perfect time for ice cream and Rania Harris dropped by PTL today to show off this great recipe to beat the heat!
French Quarter Ice Cream Torte
- 60 crushed chocolate wafers
- 1½ quarts Espresso ice cream (see recipe below)
- Fudge Sauce:
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1½ quarts chocolate ice cream (see recipe below)
- ¾ pounds crushed heath bars
Soften ice cream.
Meanwhile, make the sauce:
Melt chocolate with cream and coffee in small in small saucepan over low heat, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in brandy. Set aside.
Oil spring form pan and spread half of the cookies on the bottom. Spread chocolate ice cream carefully over top of crushed cookies.
Drizzle some of the chocolate sauce over the ice cream.
Spread the rest of the cookies over this layer.
Spread Espresso ice cream over the cookie layer.
Drizzle more chocolate sauce on top.
Distribute crushed Heath Bars evenly over the surface.
Freeze torte until very hard, overnight is preferable. Remove from spring form pan about 10 minutes before serving.
Reheat remaining sauce and spoon a little on top each slice at service.
Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chocolate milk
- ½ cups dark chocolate syrup
- 2 – 14 ounce cans evaporated milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings, chopped fine
Combine whipping cream, chocolate milk, syrup, evaporated and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl. Mix well. Chill for 4 to 6 hours. Pour into Cuisinart ice cream maker. Follow ice cream maker directions. When ice cream begins to set, add shavings and continue to churn until the machine stops. Put into your freezer until the ice cream is firm and ready to scoop
Espresso Ice Cream
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 and ½ cans (21 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup espresso (about 8 shots)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a large measuring cup, mix together the heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, espresso and vanilla extract. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours.
Once the mixture is thoroughly chilled, turn on Cuisinart ice cream machine and pour in the cream mixture. Follow ice cream maker directions. Put back into freezer until the ice cream is firm and ready to scoop.